BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #21
BBcharel

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

I had the same problem, I disabled UAC and ran the program as administrator and I got it to work.

Last edited by BBcharel; 03-18-2008 at 07:39 AM..
Old 03-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #22
cgreensas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Definately ditch UAC, even if you have a slight clue its nothing more than an annoyance.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #23
hendo25

Model: 8120
Carrier: O2 (UK)

Hi

Has anybody found a resolution to this yet? I have a problem when installing the software, as it does not register the same 4 files as mentioned above:
gw.dll, gwapi.dll, desktopsetup_pb.dll, and syncae_pb.dll

I have searched extensively for a resolution but have had no luck yet. It seems some users have got this working by:
Uninstalling, re-installing as administrator
Installing an older version before 4.3
Editing reg keys permissions
Registering the dlls separately
Registering the vbscript.dll before installing
Registering the atl.dll before installing

I have tried all of these and have still not got it working. I still get the error saying the above mentioned 4 files fail to register. When I double click the icon on the desktop, the blackberry window appears and immediately closes again. This problem is mentioned here:
BlackBerry Search Results

But that is for v4.2, and none of those solutions work.

I am using Vista home, so at first I thought this would be a typical Vista problem, but Red Bioroid (in this post http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...3-4-files.html) is using XP. This leads me to think it could another software conflict. Roxio perhaps?

If anybody can add any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Hendo25
Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #24
dhollins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by alduc View Post
Blackberry Desktop Manager will not open in Vista, it opens for a split second and disapears. i have loaded and reloaded Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.3 several times to no avail.
I had the same problem as well. I'm running Vista too. I went back to Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2. Its been smooth sailing since.

Try the link below.
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Old 03-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #25
cgreensas
Thumbs Must Hurt

do any of you guys have Tsupport with RIM? (I dont)

just wondering if anyone has reported these faults back to RIM via TSupport as its not isolated this it seems to be happening a lot.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #26
hendo25

I've uninstalled 4.3, turned off UAC, and installed 4.2 SP2.

It seemed to install with no problems (i.e. no dll registration problems), but it does not open. Again, a window flashes open and closed instantly.

I've tried everything in this support article:
BlackBerry Search Results

But it still doesn't work.

If there are any further suggestions please let us all know.
Thanks in advance,

Hendo25
Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #27
Daydots

Model: 8100
Carrier: att
Default Desktop Manager 4.3 and Vista

I had the same issue everyone here is referring to..

Here is how I fixed it..
Do a complete uninstall of the Desktop Manager Software, reboot...

Go to REGEDIT and change the permissions of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to allow your user account Full Access. For ex. \\VISTAPC\USER1, under permissions set it to Full, click on Advanced, and select "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects". Click Apply, and OK.

Reinstall the Desktop Software and it should work.

The problem is that the Desktop software doesn't have permissions to Write and set permissions to the necessary registry keys.

Thanks,

DGD
Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #28
hendo25

Thanks for the reply Daydots. I tried that but not to much success. After changing the regedit access as described, I restarted. My PC failed to start even if safe mode (it just hung on a black screen with the cursor).
I was forced to do a system restore from dos.
I'm not too keen on given that another attempt, as I was pretty sure I'd have to end up doing a full restore.

Still not got this damn Blackberry software installed... If there's any other suggestions other than those mentioned above, please reply.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #29
BBcharel

What you also can try to do is this:

First manually delete the folder where all you blackberry stuff is installed.
Then download ccleaner and clean out your registry to make sure that all references to blackberry dll's are removed.
Reboot your computer and try installing again.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #30
Arcangel

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

i have v4.3 and vista no problems at all
Old 05-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #31
acesfull

Carrier: Rogers

I also have this problem with Vista. Extremely frustrating. I don't know how many hours I have wasted trying to get this bug riddled piece of #$%! software working. There are enough people with this problem and it has been going on for long enough that you would think RIM might try to do something about it!!
Old 05-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #32
robertmcanally

Model: 8700g

What was Bill thinking (or smoking) when he introduced Windows Vista...?!

Anyway, according to RIM (at this link) Desk Top Manager v4.3 is not compatible with Vista. This list only indicates 4.2.2 and 4.2.1 are compatible with Vista.

So here's what I did:
1. I went to RIM's download page (https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22) and downloaded 4.2.2.
2. I installed the zipfile as "Administrator" by right-clicking the file and selecting "Run as Administrator.
3. From there I selected "Any user" option
4. Response time for the windows installer seemed unusually slow, I almost closed it down, but waited. Finanlly it worked its way through.
5. Then Roxio Media Manager installation automatically started installing (???)
6. Fi-nah-lee, the full install completed and I clicked "Finish", and it said I needed to restart my PC.
7. After restart, I went to the DesktopMgr.exe software, right-clicked, selected “Properties” and the “Security” tab. I clicked my User account name and clicked “Full Control” in the Permissions section, clicked “Apply” and closed the box.
8. Then I right-clicked the DesktopMgr.exe software icon and drug it down to my Tool tray and dropped it and selected “Create Shortcut”. Then I right-clicked the shortcut in the Tool Tray and selected Properties and and clicked the Shortcut tab and selected Advanced and checked the “Run as Administrator” box was enabled.
9. I started Desktop Manager and went through the Sync Config options to make sure everything was sync-ing to the correct Outlook folders, etc
10. I clicked “Synchronize (with trembling, sweaty hands) and…. It worked, no problems. But this being Vista that we are dealing with, I didn’t trust the bugger, so after it completed the sync I closed Desktop Manager and pulled the USB and then plugged in the USB and started DTM again and resync’ed again. Wow, 2 for 2.
11. The added benefit of 4.2 SP2 is Media Manager.
12. Good luck, all. Now, I need a drink....
Old 11-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #33
Xaneth

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Having the same issue on 4.6 with Vista. Had 4.5 installed successfully, now problems with the latest version. Had to upgrade to support my Bold. I understand 4.6 manages the additional memory better.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #34
karen.fenner

Model: 83100
Carrier: 02
Unhappy

How long can this go on for? I've tried installing and uninstalling several versions (deleted registry keys etc). I'm running Vista Business with AVG 8 Free Anti Virus software and Office 2007. Each time the Desktop Manager installed beautifully - I think (?) My problem is that the desktop manager will not find the BlackBerry. Windows Device Manager sees it both as a mass storage device and as a BlackBerry Smartphone. I think I've spent about 18 hours on this so far since I got the phone and I'm still none the wiser. I've tried uninstalling the device driver software (in Windows Device Manager) and then running DM and plugging the BB in various orders but still no connection. I've even tried different USB cables and points. So, I currently have no contacts or any info on my BB. I'm not even thinking about typing them all in as I want it to sync with Outlook 2007. By the way, in addition to DM software, my system tray appears to contain an icon for BlackBerry Device Manager which, not only being a different version to DM, only has the connection option of COM 3 and won't let me change it. I've been so excited about getting my BB Curve but I'm thinking of returning it as I'm still using my XDA. Does anyone have any hints please? ... and for those of you still struggling with installation, good luck. I'll be thinking of you as I uninstall and reinstall for the umpteenth time. Good luck - and don't forget, if you could offer me any advice I'd be really grateful.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #35
urvec
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

try downloading the latest dm, and see if that works
Closed Thread