Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #41
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Please Login to Remove!

I also think it's a Windows issue. The articles on RIM's site also cover problems with Windows' USB drivers & there are links to Microsoft's Knowledge Base articles.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #42
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 3279CD26
Carrier: Verizon

Hi all,

So sorry I haven't checked back. And looks like you've posted some more ideas. I just haven't had time to work with any of it. Not enough hours in the day. My job interferes with my Blackberry obsession lol. One of you mentioned a recap. I would appreciate that and Daphne I'll be looking at those articles. I hope we can assume that the C drive wasn't the issue, because I really don't have any more room on it. Again, thanks to everybody!

Jennifer
Old 05-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #43
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Daphne,

I know you said to ignore this post, but I was curious. I don't have the Desktop Manager installed at this point, but I looked and I do have RimSerial.sys but not the RimUsb.sys

Jennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Edit... ignore this and read my next post.

Ok, my computer has at least 2 driver files from RIM.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
You probably have to enable 'view hidden files and folders' in the control panel to see that.

I have RimSerial.sys and RimUsb.sys

There are a number of other USB driver files from Microsoft. They are easy to recognize because the file names start with usb... like usbd.sys. If you hover the mouse pointer over the files, it tells you what they are. Some are for cameras, for example.

If you can copy all those usb related driver files from the Application Recovery CD to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder it might work. (assuming you have Windows installed on the C drive.) You might be able to copy/paste or you might have to copy using a command prompt. (I know this procedure because I was trying to fix my virtual machine recently by copying files from the XP install cd to the vm.)

What ever you do, you should create a restore point before messing with drivers, and backup all your data.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #44
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Yes, the reason I said to ignore it is because RIM has great instructions on their support site for how to troubleshoot and fix USB driver problems. Following those instructions would be the way to go, not trying to manually copy driver files like I was talking about.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #45
westonking

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Angry Any solid awnsers yet?

I have been trying everything that has been recommended on this site and have spent about 4 hours on the phone with RIM trying to simply get the desktop software to work for my new blackberry. I have had no luck! I get error messages during the install in addition to when I attempt to launch the desktop manager, it flashes and goes away. I am running Vista Home Edition and desperately seeking a solid fix. ANYONE with a solution out there???
Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #46
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Default Hello Daphne,

Do you have a Windows XP machine to test this on?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #47
gmclella

Model: none
Carrier: Bell

I had this same problem and was pulling my hair out over it. Things went bad for me when I installed the device software on my computer. After that I could not longer detect the phone even though I could use the Mass Storage Mode.

Here's what I did to resolve me problem, maybe it will help you:
-Connect your BB via USB
-Right click on My computer and select Manage
-Select Device Manager
-Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers list
-You should see two entries related to BB
  • Blackberry Smartphone (Most likely has an indicator saying that driver is corrupt or not found)
  • USB Mass Storage Device
-Right click on both of these and Uninstall (since update driver will fail)
-Safely disconnect BB from computer
-Reconnect BB via USB
-Windows should auto detect new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the BB
-Back in business with Desktop Manager
Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #48
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Those of you have this problem, have you restored your machines back to factory settings?

I know that is a bit drastic but that is what I had to do fix this problem. I got a post on page one.

My problem was not just limited to my BlackBerry however, my Computer would not recognize any USB Thumbdrive plugged into my computer. After alot of troubleshooting I just backed everything up and restore back to factory settings. Something within Windows gets corrupt.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 AM   #49
rasobey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2 UK

TxCatLady1

This isn't going to fix your Blackberry, but you really do not have that much free space on your C: drive, you are going to run into even bigger problems down the line. Windows will be using free space on your C: drive to store temporary files, new updates, the pagefile, amogst other things, and when space runs out, Windows normally throws a wobbly

I agree with other posters that you have a USB problem. Try your device on a different computer - install Desktop Manager and then plug in your Blackberry. You can always uninstall the software afterwards, whatever the outcome is.

Finally, I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but it is definately worthwhile plugging your Blackberry into a dedicated USB socket on the back of the computer. Avoid USB hubs if you can, especially while troubleshooting.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #50
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi all,

Well, my problem has been solved in a rather drastic and unexpected way. This past Friday night I was moving My Documents from the C drive to the D drive. It didn't seem to work or at least I didn't see the folder. I did a System Restore which seemed to progress normally until it rebooted. I got a black screen and the error "NTLDR is missing" (I think, getting senile) and it just sat there. Spent some time on the phone with my uncle who helps me out a lot. He said it sounded pretty serious. So called Geeks on Wheels and a very nice young man spent 3 hours at my place at $100 an hour and got me up and running. The computer was back to factory standards BUT he was able to save everything that I really wanted to. But I also got rid of a lot of junk and now have more room in the C drive. And.......drum roll please......the Blackberry now works!! LOL So kinda of an expensive solution, but I'm trying to see the silver lining. And I've also learned that I have to learn how to backup my system! I have been really busy getting other things up and running, so haven't had time to play with it. I hope to go through John's Optimizing post. Someone posted that reading it was a lot more intimidating that actually doing it, so I hope that's true.

Jennifer
Old 05-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #51
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

At least your issue is resolved

(I did mention the restore on page one, glad it worked for you. Now you use your BlackBerry to the fullest!)

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 05-21-2008 at 02:12 PM..
Old 06-09-2008, 01:55 AM   #52
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK ya'll, I'm back and it's not good. I cannot believe this. I was going throught John's optimizing post carefully following directions. I got to the last part and app loader went through it's paces and now I have a brick. It's a white screen with a circle in the middle. Inside the circle is a rectange with a circle, square and triangle in it and diagonal line through the whole thing. I have a back up that I did, but I can't get the DM to show it as connected. And I restored all the java things just in case. I don't know what I did wrong!! I sent a PM to John but if any of you can help I would SO appreciate it. I'm sorry I'm never on here with good news.

Well I've done a reinstallation of OS software and a repair of the DM. In the Java folder it has somethings as a notepad and other's as the default. Could that also be an issue and I would need to completely reinstall DM?I just can't believe this!

Last edited by TxCatLady1; 06-09-2008 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: needed to add something
Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #53
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Somehow you removed something important from the java folder. I'm not sure what you did.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #54
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi all,

All hail John! He got me back on track and up and running. But now I'm kinda scared to try it again.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #55
thayerbt

Model: 8310
Default Similar issue

My laptop died (blue screens of death) I had to restore to previous config that worked and I am back up. Now, when I plugged the BB Curve 8310 to the usb cable I get a plug icon for 5 secs next to the battery and the pc doesn't even flinch. any ideas?
Win XP sp2
bb os 4.2.2.170
dm 4.5.0.15
I had 4.2.2 but uninstalled it and download 4.5
still no good. And i have tried other bb devices and windows still laughs at me
BT
Closed Thread