Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon
Default Bold WiFi, tether, laptop/pc

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I've been searching for this but haven’t found a definite answer and seen a few similar questions.

Scenario...

- You have a laptop but it does not have a wifi card.

- You have a Bold and a wifi router in your house.

Can you connect the Blackberry with the USB on the laptop and have access to the internet through the WiFi connection on your Bold? I know this is tethering but I don’t want to use the phones data and end up with a big bill. So basically surfing on the laptop thru the WiFi connection with the BlackBerry.....possible? Anyone do this and make it work?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

its not possible.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Jarrod623
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: Just Ask! PM Me...
Carrier: AT&T

No not possible as said above.

Your only option is upping your phones data plan to the plan that includes unlimited tethering and do it that way.

I can not speak for all providers but at&t's data plans, seeing how I am an at&t store manager and all.
the BB Data plan Unlimited is $30 and Data+Tethering Unlimited is $60. I work for at&t so if you have at&t and wish to have this feature, PIN me - 20E1489A Ill just add to your account so no need to call in.

Afraid You Might Miss Big BlackBerry News??
Follow me on TWITTER For Fast BB News

The BlackBerry Dictionary
Old 07-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

ok, thanks, I had read a few that lead me to believe some had done it but no definite yes or no on the subject.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
cielodome

Model: 8800
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod623
No not possible as said above.

Your only option is upping your phones data plan to the plan that includes unlimited tethering and do it that way.

I can not speak for all providers but at&t's data plans, seeing how I am an at&t store manager and all.
the BB Data plan Unlimited is $30 and Data+Tethering Unlimited is $60. I work for at&t so if you have at&t and wish to have this feature, PIN me - 20E1489A Ill just add to your account so no need to call in.
I have a question along the same lines. I have the unlimited AT&T data and world traveller plan as I am frequently in europe. Can the unlimited teathering plan be added AND will it provided unlimited tethering while in europe (as does my data plan) or is this not possibile?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Jesse Anger

Carrier: Rogers
Default I have the answer for Rogers Customers

I have Rogers 6 GB data plan and they have never charged me for tethering.it just comes out of my 6 GB of data

Posted steps at Tech Steps in the forums for Mac over Bluetooth, Windows XP over USB and Ubuntu 9.04 over USB
Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
akwebb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

just buy a $20 usb card for what you want. if you have the data plan, you can 'tether' for free, google it.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cielodome View Post
Wirelessly posted

I have a question along the same lines. I have the unlimited AT&T data and world traveller plan as I am frequently in europe. Can the unlimited teathering plan be added AND will it provided unlimited tethering while in europe (as does my data plan) or is this not possibile?
You will have to call ATT and ask them this.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
jcclow
Knows Where the Search Button Is

You don't have to buy anything or pay for a tethering plan. I have a Bold on AT&T with an unlimited data plan and I have tethered with it almost everyday for the last few months. I can't post links but if you Google "using blackberry as modem blackberryfaq" you will find everything you need to know.

My disclaimer: This worked for me and I have not been charged anything extra for at least three months. Your experience may vary.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
miamirulz29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclow View Post
You don't have to buy anything or pay for a tethering plan. I have a Bold on AT&T with an unlimited data plan and I have tethered with it almost everyday for the last few months. I can't post links but if you Google "using blackberry as modem blackberryfaq" you will find everything you need to know.

My disclaimer: This worked for me and I have not been charged anything extra for at least three months. Your experience may vary.
Are you sure you are not getting charged, because you need the tethering plan to tether with the bold without getting charged.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Tariffs for tethering vary widely from carrier to carrier. It is true that Rogers, at the moment, does not charge extra for tethering, but you won't get a rep to tell you that is the case. It could change in the future.