Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
brabusc

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon Phone Insurance

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

I am new to Verizon and I got the STORM...I know Verizon was good with my friends phones whenever they broke, they mailed them out a new phone and they just had to send the broken one back; however, these were with normal phones and not smart phones. So I am curious on how Verizon would treat the BlackBerry Storm...I currently have the $5.99 a month Extended Warranty or Total Equipment Coverage insurance, however when I read part of the device exchange terms this part scares me:

"If you're having a problem with your device, just contact Verizon Wireless toll–free at 1.866.406.5154 from a landline phone. We'll diagnose the issue with you right over the phone. If we cannot resolve the problem while you're on the line and the problem is caused by a manufacturing defect within the first year you own the device, we'll send you a Certified Like–New Replacement (either a like unit or one of comparable quality) right to your door at no cost to you."

When they say "or one of comparable quality" I am scared they would send me another BlackBerry and not a Storm. I only ask this because of all the "issues" that the Storm can get into...i.e. buttons falling off, dust under screen, or if it just so happens to break.

I guess to stop my rambling, I am just curious from past Verizon customers, would Verizon screw me over if my phone breaks and send me a different BlackBerry? How about within the One-Year manufactur warranty, how about after the first year?

Thanks in advanced for any help...trying to ease my mind.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
koki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: BIG RED

if by some in a few years the storm is no longer being made and they dont have one to replace your broken one they will give you a phone equal to your phone...i experience this when they stop selling the v710 and insurance sent me a new e815
Old 11-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Hi. I also got this insurance thingy with my phone... Basically, what i understand from your quote off of the contract or whatever that came off of, they would send you probably a Refurbished Storm. Meaning somebody else had it, probably had a small defect, was returned, checked thoroughly, and repackaged (which, from what i have heard and understood, is way better than getting a new item, as the refurbished ones get taken apart and checked very very thoroughly). As far as them sending you another type of phone, i don't think they would do that, but that's my opinion. If anything, they will do what they did to my friend, which was to give him a pearl, while he waited for his "new" curve to come in the mail....its like a rent a car i guess...lol

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Insurance helped me when I got my device wet. I am glad it is available.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
brabusc

cool, thanks for the responses...to my understanding Verizon is suppose to be one of the better carriers when it comes to replacing phones...just wanted to make sure, and have some kind of piece of mind
Old 11-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
bwhite757

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW

I've had 2 phones replaced from Verizon, 1 Moto Q, and 1 BB Pearl. Neither was a hassle, called'em up, told them what happened, paid a little extra for next day air, and viola, new phone at my doorstep. It's a no brainer to get insurance on a smart phone. These things are kinda pricey if you have to pay full price to replace one...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have the $5.99 insurance on mine also. I have 4 dogs that have chewed up just about everything. I love it when I can call Verizon and tell them my Dog ate my Phone and I need a new one. They drop it in the mail, and I have a new ($50 later). Remember if you break it, then there is a charge and if it's manufacturing defect then it's free.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
brabusc

Sounds great...I worry, because I do not want to treat my phone better than people...my send key already seems kinda loose (I am using the BB case with belt clip) and I am scared its going to fall off...LIVE my life on the BB and for me I'm getting really use to the STORM, and I am becoming addicted to this device. Sounds like Verizon is a good carrier!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
viet2100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Similar means if they do not make the Storm anymore, they will send you a similar model with similar functions, or if it is still in production, a refurbed if they have any.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
donas2000
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

You are safe in thinking you will receive a Storm to replace your Storm.....as long as Blackberry doesn't comeout with a cheaper touchscreen

I got duped once by the insurance scam. I have a flip phone that I paid $350 for and it was replaced with a "like" one that the company was giving away, sign up and get 5 free phones.

If you must make a claim, a "like" phone must be a touchscreen Blackberry.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
viet2100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas2000 View Post
You are safe in thinking you will receive a Storm to replace your Storm.....as long as Blackberry doesn't comeout with a cheaper touchscreen

I got duped once by the insurance scam. I have a flip phone that I paid $350 for and it was replaced with a "like" one that the company was giving away, sign up and get 5 free phones.

If you must make a claim, a "like" phone must be a touchscreen Blackberry.
Did you pay retail for it?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

They'll do the first time really easy. The second time watch out if it's within a year. Then they say no way if it's your fault. They can find that watermark in there and see it with pink colored glasses if you know what I mean. Happened to me once.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 11-24-2008 at 10:34 PM..
Old 11-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

i got the best buy black tie insurance 9.99 a month but no 50 deductible crap and any damage is covered even if the phone is in 100 pieces or soaking wet. So much better than VZW insurance