Old 01-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
BBDummy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 30184580
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES & Wired Sync?

Please Login to Remove!

Forgive a newbie what is probably a monumentally stupid question...

If I get a BB8700, it would be tied into my BES at work. Thus, I assume that my Outlook data (calendar, contacts) at work would be synced over the air. My understanding is that this would also prevent me from doing a wired sync (BB Desktop?) to my Outlook profile at work.

I would also like to sync my calendar and contacts with my personal laptop at home. This, I assume, can only be done through a wired sync, since I obviously don't run a BES at home.

The question: will the fact that I do a wireless sync to a BES totally kill any wired BB Desktop syncs, or only wired syncs to my Outlook profile at work? That is, can I sync with two profiles: BES wireless to my work profile, and BB Desktop wired to my home profile?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Not sure this works but

Post in the BES thread.
I think you will end up populating both with info from both. As far as wireless sync, your firms BES has to be the latest servers with the functionality turned on. My firm has email and tasks, but is having issues with address books using Lotus Notes so right now there is no wireless address book sync. So you can mix and match wired and wireless but if you are doing two PC's I think you end up mixing the info. Search the forum for 2 Pcs also. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDummy
Forgive a newbie what is probably a monumentally stupid question...

If I get a BB8700, it would be tied into my BES at work. Thus, I assume that my Outlook data (calendar, contacts) at work would be synced over the air. My understanding is that this would also prevent me from doing a wired sync (BB Desktop?) to my Outlook profile at work.

I would also like to sync my calendar and contacts with my personal laptop at home. This, I assume, can only be done through a wired sync, since I obviously don't run a BES at home.

The question: will the fact that I do a wireless sync to a BES totally kill any wired BB Desktop syncs, or only wired syncs to my Outlook profile at work? That is, can I sync with two profiles: BES wireless to my work profile, and BB Desktop wired to my home profile?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
BBDummy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 30184580
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
I think you will end up populating both with info from both. ... So you can mix and match wired and wireless but if you are doing two PC's I think you end up mixing the info. Search the forum for 2 Pcs also.
I think this is precisely the result I'm looking for. Currently, my home and work Outlook Calendar and Contacts are identical (though I don't have access to the work global contacts list through my home Outlook, only through OWA over VPN). I only sync tasks and notes with my home computer, since I never use either feature for work.

If I understand you correctly, if I make a change on my home computer, it gets synced over wire to the BB, then OTA to the BES. If I make a change at work, it gets synced OTA to the BB, then updated on my home computer the next time I run a wired sync. If I make a change on the BB, it goes OTA to work and over wire to my home computer on my next sync...am I tracking your comment correctly?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default I think so but I am not 100% sure

I am pretty sure but do search the forum like I mentioned and you might post this is the BES forum too. Also you can search RIM's tech knowledgebase.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...nc=llworkspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDummy
I think this is precisely the result I'm looking for. Currently, my home and work Outlook Calendar and Contacts are identical (though I don't have access to the work global contacts list through my home Outlook, only through OWA over VPN). I only sync tasks and notes with my home computer, since I never use either feature for work.

If I understand you correctly, if I make a change on my home computer, it gets synced over wire to the BB, then OTA to the BES. If I make a change at work, it gets synced OTA to the BB, then updated on my home computer the next time I run a wired sync. If I make a change on the BB, it goes OTA to work and over wire to my home computer on my next sync...am I tracking your comment correctly?
Closed Thread