Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 AM   #1
bulgee98

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Anyone Sick and Tired of NTP???

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, maybe I'm just a lowly webclient user, maybe I'm only an outsider in this whole fiasco of wireless tech showdowns, but I'm curious if anyone feels the same way I do about this whole situation. I've owned the 6510, 7510, and currently the 7520. I well understand the competing technologies, but that has nothing to do about what I'm inquiring about in the post.

What I would like to know (and I've searched so F off flamers) is: does anyone else feel that NTP is just a bloodsucking piece of SH(T company that is trying to capitalize on an IP holding that they've done nothing with whatsoever?

Seriously, argue with me here. I would love to hear it. Give me a reason not to hate this company (as a dedicated blackberry user). To me this whole lawsuit amounts to one thing: a person (turned into company, Thomas Campana Jr) "invents" a "solution" and does nothing with it.... (crickets chirping), waits until another company implements it for the masses and then says oh wait a minute, I invented this product, but because of complacency I deserve 1 billion dollars. Give me a break... Give it your best shot. I'm looking for an argument.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310v
Carrier: Verizon

what makes it even funnier is the lwsuit is for something like sending wireless email over a handheld device - something that in my opinion was INEVITABLE, not a great idea.. just more like OF COURSE we're gonna have wireless email on a handheld device!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:09 AM   #3
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330

I got sick of this crap a long time ago. NTP should have taken the $450M and let it go. I would love nothing better than to see the patents tossed out and NTP end up with nothing.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

While I'm not defending NTP here, I don't believe that a patent holder should forfeit their patent simply because they've done nothing to develop or promote their invention.

If this were the case, wealthy corporations would be steam-rolling the small-time inventor everywhere...this would effectively end individual creativity.

Nonetheless, like it or not, the deck was stacked against RIM from the beginning. You've got a foreign company (RIM), and a backwoods judge and jury obviously looking out for their own. It stinks...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
RIMarkable
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

The sad thing is that once RIM pays NTP a dump truck full of money to settle, the patents that RIM was found guilty on probably will be invalidated for good.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

IANAL, BUT, I suspect that if RIM pays, it will "validate" the patents.. Prior case law and what have you..
Old 12-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #7
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

NTP has no products, no discernable assets other than a file folder in a drawer. The way the patent system has gotten anything is up for grabs. I think i'm going to go out and patent a shoe.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
paulfr2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

NTP should have never been allowed to have the patent in the first place. The USPTO needs a complete overhaul! NTP has never produced a working product, only ideas... IDEAS SHOULD NEVER BE F'ING PATENTED IN THE FIRST PLACE! That's like I have an idea everyone should have the ability to watch streaming media from a mobile device... if I had patented that 5 - 10 years ago, I could sue the living snot out of Verizon etc. etc. etc. based on an IDEA, not a product.

Patents suck unless you have a working product. I think that if you have an idea, you should be allowed to patent it, IF AND ONLY IF YOU produce a working product within 2 to 5 years. If that had been the case NTP would have been required to produce a working product... oh well. I'm just f'ing sick of NTP and hope that they die a slow painful death!
TMO Blackberry Pearl 8100
Lee's Summit - MO
Old 12-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
Pentarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfr2
NTP has never produced a working product, only ideas... IDEAS SHOULD NEVER BE F'ING PATENTED IN THE FIRST PLACE!
Couldn't have said it better!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #10
rsgalloway
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Couldn't agree with paulfr2 more. What this amounts to is another case of bureaucracy out of control.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:53 AM   #11
Edewhirst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Default I don’t want to go on a rant but…..

I have to weigh in,

I don’t want to go on a rant here….. But …. Seriously how can anyone justify it all – I mean really what kind of a messed up world is it that somebody is able to ask 450 Million dollars for some idea that they did squat for! Think back to when this was being patented – you could get 75 bionic men for that kind of dough – remember the “six million” dollar man – I mean this is some serious coin people!!! My head spins when I think of how crazy this is – imagine if you are Mike Lazaridis and you are sitting around the dinner table with your kids and you had to explain this – I mean really complete lunacy – “Well you see there was this guy and he thought of sending something that had been around for ohhhhh 15 years already!!! – and well he thought it would be cool to send it to a pager and that is worth one BILLION dollars”. Do NTP put their little pinky beside the corner of their mouth when they say that – “I want one BILLION DOLLARS!” This whole thing makes me want to puke!!! When the US government is offering up 50 Million for public enemy number one – Osama – and these jokers at NTP think they are entitled to one Billion – it is seriously sick! Think about it RIM has to make way more than one Billion dollars in profit over the next couple years to justify a payout like that – I hope they roast in hell those NTP’ers.

I hope that the patents get thrown out and those blood-sucking-pieces-of-dog’ends NTP end up with a big fat zero and a whole lot of heart burn.

But hey that is only my two cents!

Cheers,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgalloway
Couldn't agree with paulfr2 more. What this amounts to is another case of bureaucracy out of control.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #12
eradis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

I think the most disturbing issues are:

1. NTP is a holding company.
2. Thomas Campana Jr died a couple of years ago.

I have noticed that RIM is signing deals left and right outside of the U.S (Europe and Asia-Pacific). If they can muster enouph users and residual revenue from outside of the U.S I say pull the plug on the U.S users (including the government). By jeopordizing National security and the economy I think NTP's case would be done. This would be playing hard-ball, but in the U.S there are no other types of balls.

The root issue is that NTP's patents should have never been issued in the first place in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Well if 2 million people loose their BB service this NTP company better go hide in a hole somewhere lol.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:05 AM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

So sick of it I sold my BB and went back to a regular phone i got tired of the damn questions about what i was gonna do when I lost my BB
Closed Thread