Mistaken Post.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 11-23-2005 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Delete Double Post
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #162
Hanwei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

So I drove from Boston to New York today... my BB was switching from 1XEV to 1x to 1X all day long... which is probably why my battery was down 2 bars by 8pm with minimal usage throughout the day... usually I have full battery or just one bar down by midnight... the constant switching between 1x and evdo does drain the battery more. Of course I was driving through fringe areas...so hopefully when I return to Boston my battery life will return to normal.

I do have a problem though... ever since I entered Connecticut...and until now (in NY)... I have a solid triangle roaming indicator next to the 1XEV. WTF? I called CS and they checked my account... didn't see any reason why I'd have a roaming indicator...suggested I try *228, 2, but that didn't get rid of it. I have America's Choice... and Unlimited Data... CS said any roaming charges would be credited back... but that's just a temporary fix. I want the roaming indicator problem fixed period.

Anyone know why I have a roaming indicator? And what I need to do to get back to normal? In the 4 years or so since I've had America's Choice I don't think I've ever gotten a roaming indicator...on any of my phones... and I've travelled across the country.

Help with the roaming indicator! Please!

FYI I followed all the steps in Mark's guide except for the HRT registering. My EVDO and browser worked fine without doing that step, and the tech on the phone said I didn't need to re-register either... so I didn't. Not sure if that could be the culprit... doesn't seem like there's any connection between re-registering and roaming... but... who knows.

Hanwei
Old 11-23-2005, 11:17 PM   #163
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

I would re-register since there is always some sort of reprovisioning with it. The other side of the coin is to try it since at worst it wont hurt your situation any. I did the re-registering and have been all over with my phone for two days and have not had any roaming triangle show up at all.

P.S. Afterthought, so far everything that was at the site were we downloaded from has played exactly as they described it and they did point out the fact that you should re-register as one of the steps. The other point is what I have been saying all along the lower lever techs really are not quite sure what is going on and I would really not take what they say as facts.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 11-23-2005 at 11:21 PM..
Old 11-24-2005, 12:12 AM   #164
Hanwei

Just re-registered through the HRT step... Roaming indicator still there... Rebooted the BB... Roaming indicator still there... :( someone help!
Old 11-24-2005, 02:59 AM   #165
bgate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

I have spent much time today with VZW CSR and have EVDO and a roaming triangle. The end comment - "you shouldn't have that - we'll check into it and call you". They said that I was not roaming according to their system - we shall see...
Old 11-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #166
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgate
I have spent much time today with VZW CSR and have EVDO and a roaming triangle. The end comment - "you shouldn't have that - we'll check into it and call you". They said that I was not roaming according to their system - we shall see...
I think we all should use the line "I have a friend in another state that had it done can I e-mail you a screenshot of what it should look like?"

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #167
Joe1004

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
It's not known which is faster.

It should be simply a virtual COM port that can go at full USB speeds. Try setting the virtual com port to the highest possible speed (460800bps or 921600bps for example). However, even setting a USB virtual com port to 115200bps may actually not be capped to 115200bps, I am not 100% sure. Do give it a try.
I upgraded our BES yesterday to get to the right version to allow BT connections in the IT Rules. According the BB website support section, BES v 4 SP 3 is required. Two rules in there are defaulted to disallow connections via BT to a computer.

I changed the IT Policy to allow these connections, then tried again. When I find my laptop, I do not get any BT services to show up on the Berry BT settings.

Has anyone had any luck getting the BT Serial Service to work with their device. I would like to give it a try, if for no other reason than to say I did it!
Old 11-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #168
BGCapt10
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanwei
Just re-registered through the HRT step... Roaming indicator still there... Rebooted the BB... Roaming indicator still there... :( someone help!
Give it time. I think it might be a bug in the new firmware. I had the same problem and spent hours with tech. support only to have them say, "We don't know." I tried everything from wiping the BB, hard/soft reset, data/voice PRL updates. In the end, it finally went away. I have a feeling when the system handed me from one tower to the other it finally corrected itself.

In regards to roaming, the CSR told me that with America's Choice Plan, the phone can't roam under any circumstances. If the phone roams it will lose signal altogether, so she assured me there would be no roaming charges.

-David

Last edited by BGCapt10; 11-24-2005 at 04:20 PM..
Old 11-24-2005, 02:32 PM   #169
Hanwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCapt10
Give it time. I think it might be a bug in the new firmware. I had the same problem and spent hours with tech. support only to have them say, "We don't know." I tried everything from wiping the BB, hard/soft reset, data/voice PRL updates. In the end, it finally went away. I have a feeling when the system handed me from one tower to the other it finally corrected itself.

In regards to roaming, the CSR told me that with American's Choice Plan, the phone can't roam under any circumstances. If the phone roams it will lose signal altogether, so she assured me there would be no roaming charges.

-David
wow...that makes me feel much better. Although I drove through all of CT and NY state with it roaming... ie: passed from tower to tower and still roaming. anyway... hope it goes away soon. Thanks for some hope!

Hanwei
Old 11-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #170
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att
Default vzn techs in sf area (houston center) got it working fine:

the various codes just muddy things up. most of the problems w tethering were on their end not the pc side. after they got it set, my billing service profile shown on web site wont show new features for another day or two they say.

question on tethering: will the bb get power thru the usb cable or run entirely off bb battery?
Old 11-24-2005, 03:49 PM   #171
Hanwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCapt10

In regards to roaming, the CSR told me that with American's Choice Plan, the phone can't roam under any circumstances. If the phone roams it will lose signal altogether, so she assured me there would be no roaming charges.

-David
Afterthought: When I return to Boston at the end of the weekend the roaming indicator will most likely go away. However, that doesn't mean it won't return once I leave the state again in the future.

CS told me to go into a store and have them update the software/upload a tower list. I'm going to do this tomorrow while I'm in NY to make sure the triangle goes away while I'm not in Boston.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:45 AM   #172
RichP

Model: 8830

After spending about 3hrs Wed night trying to get VZW to properly upgrade my acct to EVDO(they didn't do it right the 1st time and I was getting "data connection refused") now I am noticing it goes from 1XEV to 1x to "Data Connection Refused" every few hrs.

Anyone else see this behavior?

If I turn Wireless off and then on, it usually comes back to 1XEV.

I have updated *22899 and registered from the Host Routing Table a few times.

I am in Central NJ with full signal in my house.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 AM   #173
thegallier

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon

same here. comes and goes. most of the time it suffices to turn wireless on and off for it to work again.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #174
NJBB

I'm also in New Jersey and experiencing the same problem where it goes from 1x to 1xEV. I had the issue with 'Data Connection Refused' but it seems to have gone away.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #175
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBB
I'm also in New Jersey and experiencing the same problem where it goes from 1x to 1xEV. I had the issue with 'Data Connection Refused' but it seems to have gone away.
NJBB were abouts i NJ are you. I am in the northern Part of the state, near Montclair, and I have not had those issues. From day one I have had 1XEV and have not had the dreaded "Data Connection Refused" show up even once. Did you re-register the phone.? When I did this the tech stressed the fact that after I did the *22899 I had to go to the HRT and re-register the phone which I did promptly.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #176
NJBB

I'm in Plainsboro, and yesterday driving up the turnpike the EV signal would go in and out. I did the *22899 and HRT update soon after the change was made to my account with no luck. I plan on placing a call to Verizon support today to see if it can be fixed.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #177
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Jumping between 1x and 1xEV and then getting a connection refused is the identifier that they did not properly set up your account.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #178
bgate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Regarding the "refusal of service", that was the first reason I called VZW. In my case, they removed all phone features and then added them back one at a time and EVDO works! Now, just that roaming triangle...
Old 11-25-2005, 12:50 PM   #179
Hanwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonent
Jumping between 1x and 1xEV and then getting a connection refused is the identifier that they did not properly set up your account.
Hey Stonent,

I get the 1X-1XEV-1x jumping back and forth here and there... but not the "data connection refused" part... does that mean that my account was set up right? Or am I okay
Old 11-25-2005, 02:16 PM   #180
gpcbb87

Model: 7250

Cool, thanks for the detailed instructions. Looks like the Verizon site is having issues because I place in my phone number and click Download and the webpage comes up with an error. Anyone else getting this?
Closed Thread