BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Do any of your blackberry's goto SOS mode after couple of mins/secs of use?
Yes, all the time. 3 30.00%
No. Never seen this problem. 4 40.00%
Sometimes. 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
Carrier: tmo
Default SOS after few mins of use.

Please Login to Remove!

My 8220 says SIM card error and goes to SOS signal after a few minutes or seconds of use.

The same SIM works flawlessly in my old Pearl, 8100.

The only way to rectify is to remove battery and restart.

Called TMO they are going to replace my flip (free + shipping).

Wonder if anyone has found a solution to this other than the phone exchange.

Last edited by soch; 03-19-2009 at 10:30 AM..
Old 03-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Wideruled
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mob

Is sim loose in the phone? that may explain why it goes to SOS mode. I just got my pearl flip yesterday and when i had the sim out, it automatically went to sos mode.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideruled View Post
Is sim loose in the phone? that may explain why it goes to SOS mode. I just got my pearl flip yesterday and when i had the sim out, it automatically went to sos mode.

For 8220 the SIM goes inside the casing. Doesn't look loose.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
smyke

PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile

mine went into SOS last night when using on WiFi. after reset its back to normal.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Wideruled

Carrier: T-Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by soch View Post
For 8220 the SIM goes inside the casing. Doesn't look loose.
I know the sim goes in the casing, i have a 8220 :D

The 8830 world edition (Verizon) is the same way, but it is much more difficult to remove the sim as it is inserted vertically instead of horizontally.

Ill keep an eye on my phone to see if it starts going into SOS mode.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Whether it seems loose or not, it can't hurt to reseat it-pull it out for a few seconds and re-insert it.

A co-worker of mine had the "Insert SIM" and SOS displays-I did this a week ago and she hasn't had a problem since.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
Whether it seems loose or not, it can't hurt to reseat it-pull it out for a few seconds and re-insert it.

A co-worker of mine had the "Insert SIM" and SOS displays-I did this a week ago and she hasn't had a problem since.
That's the first thing I tried. One of my cousins has similar problem with his new Bold. It goes to SOS in middle of a call.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
evilp8ntballer7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Ya I've seen this before on mine, but its really quick like from the time it says SOS to me getting service is about 5-6 secs, and I might have seen that twice in the last month so not a big deal, and after the second time I did a battery pull and clean my sim for the heck of it and haven't seen it sence
Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Nde

Model: BBC
Carrier: TMobile

I have the same exact problem. I search this forum and found a post telling people to slip a folded paper on top of the SIM.

I purhcased about a week ago, I have nothing but SOS problem. Once I slip the paper on top of the SIM. I have no problem at all, not even one SOS error.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
rinley9

Model: Model
Carrier: yes

Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
dalbri7

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by soch View Post
My 8220 says SIM card error and goes to SOS signal after a few minutes or seconds of use.

The same SIM works flawlessly in my old Pearl, 8100.

The only way to rectify is to remove battery and restart.

Called TMO they are going to replace my flip (free + shipping).

Wonder if anyone has found a solution to this other than the phone exchange.
I had this problem too, so I opened the back of the phone and wedged a thin piece of paper up between the Sim card and the plastic, now the Sim card doesnt move and Voila - no more Sos messages! Try it, Dave
Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
roberwat

Model: 8320
Exclamation Blackberry 8220 SOS Error

This by its nature is a software issue. There must be a flaw in the OS of the 8220. That is why a replacement corrects it short term until the flaw surfaces. A hard reset by pulling the battery corrects it temporarily in much the same way that rebooting your computer will allow it to work temporarily with a corruption problem.

The OS corruption could be caused by a number of things but I supect that it is probably originating in service books written for a specific carrier. The root files of all of the service books should be audited line by line. As one who has made software and its creation a lifelong hobby I would recommend that RIM re-write the service books for the specific carrier experiencing the issue. This is the only way that the problem can be corrected unless a push method can be developed that can correct corruption in software. This is highly unlikely as flashing a BB device is not like doing the same to a motorola device which is much more simple in its design.

I know that this issue is reported on a very wide scale throughout the US and Canada as that is where the bulk of sales originate for the 8220 device. I predict that a laterversion of the OS will soon be available for download and you will then be able to utilize your Desktop Manager Software and its Application Loader to repair the issue from home.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
roberwat

Model: 8320
Exclamation Blackberry 8220 SOS Error

This by its nature is a software issue. There must be a flaw in the OS of the 8220. That is why a replacement corrects it short term until the flaw surfaces. A hard reset by pulling the battery corrects it temporarily in much the same way that rebooting your computer will allow it to work temporarily with a corruption problem.

The OS corruption could be caused by a number of things but I supect that it is probably originating in service books written for a specific carrier. The root files of all of the service books should be audited line by line. As one who has made software and its creation a lifelong hobby I would recommend that RIM re-write the service books for the specific carrier experiencing the issue. This is the only way that the problem can be corrected unless a push method can be developed that can correct corruption in software. This is highly unlikely as flashing a BB device is not like doing the same to a motorola device which is much more simple in its design.

I know that this issue is reported on a very wide scale throughout the US and Canada as that is where the bulk of sales originate for the 8220 device. I predict that a laterversion of the OS will soon be available for download and you will then be able to utilize your Desktop Manager Software and its Application Loader to repair the issue from home.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
pnwgeordie

Model: 8200
Default SOS when attempting to text

I have a constant problem sending a text and it may be related to others in this thread. Regardless of how strong a signal I have, when I hit send I get a failed send and the error message Protocol Stack Error. The signal will return after maybe 15 seconds and I retry until the text eventually goes. I have no apparent problem receiving texts or emails. I checked to ensure that the SIM card is properly seated, but I couldnt get a wedge of paper like others have apparently done. It seems pretty secure to me.

I think Roberwat is probably right about the Operating System. Most of the problem phones seem to be using T-Mobile.

It is a pain in the butt. This is my second Pearl Flip - the first had all kinds of problems and had to be replaced. This is my first experience with Blackberry and I am not impressed.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
Zeppelin89

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwgeordie View Post
I have a constant problem sending a text and it may be related to others in this thread. Regardless of how strong a signal I have, when I hit send I get a failed send and the error message Protocol Stack Error. The signal will return after maybe 15 seconds and I retry until the text eventually goes. I have no apparent problem receiving texts or emails. I checked to ensure that the SIM card is properly seated, but I couldnt get a wedge of paper like others have apparently done. It seems pretty secure to me.

I think Roberwat is probably right about the Operating System. Most of the problem phones seem to be using T-Mobile.

It is a pain in the butt. This is my second Pearl Flip - the first had all kinds of problems and had to be replaced. This is my first experience with Blackberry and I am not impressed.
I have this exact problem with my 8310 now. I'll pick up a call and certain calls (and interestingly certain numbers almost EVERY time) it goes into SOS mode and says Sim barred or sim error, about 15 secs in.

Also every few text messages or so it'll give me Protocol Stack Error and go into SOS.

In both cases I get service back within seconds. Anyone figure out what the issue is yet?
Closed Thread