Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo
Default "Data Connection Refused"

Please Login to Remove!

Flew back home today, in MSP my Berry was just fine, and recieved emails up to a few minutes before departure, now I am back home, and when I turned the berry back on I get "Data Connection Refused"...

An outage or an account issue? FWIW, it's the Chicagoland area...
Old 09-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Try to reset -- remove and replace the battery, and see if it straightens out...
Old 09-23-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirson
Try to reset -- remove and replace the battery, and see if it straightens out...
Yeps, tried it all... Time to call T-mobile I guess...
Old 09-23-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
eradis

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Data connection refused usually means the SIM card has no data plan with it ( i.e. something happened to the data portion of the account).
Old 09-16-2005, 05:02 AM   #5
he_bat

Model: 7730

My handheld received emails but I could not send any reply nor a new message.
The error message on the display is "Service Blocked"
Can anybody help me with this
Old 09-19-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
confused_one

Model: 7250

RE: "data connection refused". I get this occasionaly when i pass thru an area that there is not data service. sometimes the BB fails to link back up. It is solved on mine by simply turnong off the wireless settting and then turning it back on. No need to remvoe the battery.

good luck
Old 09-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #7
greywolfe

Model: 8100
Carrier: optus

Got lower case gprs on the device? That usually means the blackberry service isnt active on the sim.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
jbsherry

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default problem could be a full mailbox

One my of my users reported this message while traveling in Europe. My other users reported that mail to the traveler was bouncing. Turned out his Exchange mailbox was full. After I made space for him, he no longer got the error message "Data Connection Refused".

Yet one more possibility for this error.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsherry
One my of my users reported this message while traveling in Europe. My other users reported that mail to the traveler was bouncing. Turned out his Exchange mailbox was full. After I made space for him, he no longer got the error message "Data Connection Refused".

Yet one more possibility for this error.
You should have been a good little BOFH and forced the ungrateful person to delete mail or move stuff to a PST.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
joedw00

Model: 7100T

I have a unlocked 7100T, using Cingular,and just use it for a phone right now. I get the Data connection refused. It will show Cingular GPRS, and not the Data Connection Refused for a few seconds when I turn the wireless off then back on, then it goes back to Data Connection Refused gprs. I find it anoying to see the Data Connection Refused. Is there any way to not have it show up?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Nope; Data Connection Refused will always show up if you have a GPRS capable SIM card and no BlackBerry Data Plan. No way to change it.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #12
joedw00

Model: 7100T

OK thanks. That is what I figured.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #13
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Sometimes when a user returns from roaming, the device has trouble authenticating all the services on the line with the carrier. In instances where the old reboot doesn't help you sometimes need to perform a maual roam on to another carrier, and then roam back to your main carrier which will force the line to apply all the services again. I have this quite a bit with roamed users.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
rsmiley

Model: 7105T

Hey guys I was getting the data connection refused on my phone also and have figured out how to make it stop if you have a data plan. My problem and I am sure others is that t-mobile may not be the dominant cell company in the area. In the SE it is Cingular and my phone kept automatically selecting their network to run off of. This connection was refusing the connection. So next time when you see your phone saying t-mobile as network stop what you are doing and go into options screen. Click on network and select manual. It will then ask to find networks to choose from and say yes. Then select the T-mobile option. This will make your phone seek out t-mobile networks first then if none are available it will jump onto another network. Hope this helps!!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #15
coldkillerpol
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7105t

Hey it did work, thanks for the tip.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #16
Richard Williams

Model: 8700

I am using an unlocked 8700c on the Digicel carrier in Barbados, Caribbean and am getting the same message, 'data connection refused'. Digicel do offer Blackberry but not the 8700 just yet. What can I do to obtain a BlackBerry Data Plan?
Any input appreciated.
RRW
Old 06-24-2006, 05:54 AM   #17
IDEA RicH

Model: 7100t

I'm using unlock 7100t from t-mobile. Updated to OS 4.1.0.309. While traveling I obtained GPRS enabled SIM from local Provider. Provided APN but still getting "Data Connection Refused". The same SIM works with Nokia N70. The operator does not offer BES.
IR
Old 06-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #18
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You MUST have the BlackBerry Data Plan enabled on the account. Not plain GPRS. Without a BlackBerry Data Plan, your will have voice and data. Putting in the APN does nothing without a BlackBerry Data Plan.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #19
New-bold

Model: 7290
Question No Data Connection also

I am also new to Blackberry and wanted to try the device before commiting my team to it. So I bought an unlocked new 7290 on E-Bay. When I got it, it had no service books and no browser. I installed mini-opera and then found I was still unable to browse the web. I have spent several hours looking over BBs and have understood the following

1) There seems to be a lack of consistency in experience...some people with unlocked devices that have assigned themselves to a network claim to just be able to set the APN and then get working.

2) Others claim the above doesn't work.

So now I am confused. I see it stated that you need a contract to get working on GPRS...but the cellular provider has no clue about your device type...I can take the same SIM and put it in WM5, Palm, Nokia and it works for GPRS. So I conclude the issue is with the Device. I am gradually understanding that Service Books dictate what a phone can do. Without the Service Book you can't use the Service. The Service Books are issued by RIM to the Service Provider. Hence no contract, no service book and no ability to get GPRS working!

Is my analysis correct. Is there a Service Book for Internet or GPRS ? Does anyone have an overview of the Blackberry device architecture ?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Welcome to BBForums.

It's simple - without a specific BlackBerry Data Plan, you will not get the Service Books pushed down. It's not a device issue. Unlocked or locked, you have to have a BlackBerry Data Plan. The GPRS and Internet plans don't work on a BB.

Without a BlackBerry Data Plan, all you'll ever get is voice and SMS.
Closed Thread