Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:53 AM   #41
Tim Koltek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default myblueberry.com

Please Login to Remove!

These guys seem to have the cheapest service, but the numerous typos (not to mention the cheesy music and flash) on their site really make me wonder how professional they are.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:05 AM   #42
ijg0
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none

Does this mean then that I can have applications push messages to my t-mobile BB through the t-mobile MDG? Or is this just outbound?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #43
GenghisKhent
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Hosted BES - Other Email Accounts

I am considering Link2Exchange or another hosted BES. While I have T-Mobile, the idea of having Exchange functionality, and wireless sync, is very attractive. The question I have is whether I still would be able to send email from my other mail accounts to my BB. Right now I do that through BWC, albeit with the 15 minute wait. If I go through a hosted BEC, could I still use BWC for this purpose, or would I have to implement this functionality another way? Hope this makes sense. Jeff
Old 05-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #44
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

Yes, you can use BWC and BES simultaneously to receive, but must chose one or the other for sending. Mail sent you your BWC and BES addresses will get to you device with no problems. I did that for a bit, doing most of my receiving from BWC and all my sending from BES.

I have link2exchange and have switched entirely to the BES side with its 100mb storage. I was able to do that because our shop has enabled serverside filtering with webmail on our IMAP server.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:24 PM   #45
GenghisKhent
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks dulcamara. I do have one further question. Your message states: "I was able to do that because our shop has enabled serverside filtering with webmail on our IMAP server." As I understand server-side filtering, it enables you to, among other things, filter to specific subfolders. What puzzles me is what the implementation of server-side filtering on your IMAP server has to do with using BES and link2exchange. Are you forwarding email from other non-BES accounts to your exchange account so all your email is under one roof? I would appreciate if you could clarify. Thanks. Jeff
Old 05-23-2005, 09:44 PM   #46
Cyclops

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

I also tried the speed test on www.cnet.com. Using my 7250 with Bell Mobility, my speed test result: 455 kbps

Last edited by Cyclops; 05-23-2005 at 09:55 PM..
Old 05-24-2005, 06:46 AM   #47
dulcamara

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisKhent
TWhat puzzles me is what the implementation of server-side filtering on your IMAP server has to do with using BES and link2exchange. Are you forwarding email from other non-BES accounts to your exchange account so all your email is under one roof? I would appreciate if you could clarify. Thanks. Jeff
Our serverside filtering lest me forward to a 3rd party (ie my link2exchange address) and keep a copy of the message on our IMAP server. This is push email! On top of that, I can apply my usual suite of spam filters before the message goes out to the BB.

I don't want my only copy of something to be on the link2exchance account, but I could do that by not keeping copies on the server at work.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 AM   #48
GenghisKhent
Thumbs Must Hurt

dulcamara, thanks again. Just to make sure I got this, you get instant push for your link2exchange and bb accounts, plus any accounts you can push to your link2exchange account, such as your other IMAP account (on which you still keep a copy to be safe). For all other accounts, you use BWC, and wait at most 15 minutes. Do I got this right?

Assuming I do, 2 questions for anyone who has T-Mobile:

1. Just to make sure, since the FAQ says not all hosted BES services work with all ISPs, Link2Exchange does work with T-Mobile, right?

2. Right now I have the BlackBerry Unlimited Add-on for $19.95/month. There also is a BlackBerry Unlimited w/Enterprise Email Add-on for $29.95, and if memory serves me correct, something else for $39.95. The TMo rep told me the latter two are if you have BES. Do I need to switch to the $29.95 (or $39.95) if I go with Link2Exchange? If so, what is the advantage (if any) of the $39.95 plan. Unfortunately the TMo website really does not explain this as far as I could find with my search.

TIA. Jeff
Old 05-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #49
dulcamara

I have Cingular, but I hear that all the providers are equally bad. One reason I got link2exchange was the fun I had convincing Cingular to get the wap.cingular apn both working and billed correctly. See

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=7645

for the entire sad story.

I use squirrelmail for my webmail interface. It's terrible as a reader, but great as a configuration tool. In squirrelmail 1.4.4 I can login to my account, and under options is a new line "server side message filters". These things act before you see your mail, using ANY reader from anywhere. Clink on that, add a new rule, and one of the options is

Redirect to the following email address:

which you can set to anything. An option below that is "keep mail on server".
We just got this version of squirrelmail. You may not have it where you are.

I'm amazed at how good this is.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:20 PM   #50
jpoohbear

Model: 7520
Default How do you make the underscore for an email address with the Blackberry 7520 model?

Does anyone know how to compose an email address with the underscore sign using the Blackberry 7520 model? I can't seem to find anyone else with that model and the same problem that I have. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #51
jpoohbear

Model: 7520
Exclamation Anyone out there can answer this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoohbear
Does anyone know how to compose an email address with the underscore sign using the Blackberry 7520 model? I can't seem to find anyone else with that model and the same problem that I have. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #52
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoohbear
Does anyone know how to compose an email address with the underscore sign using the Blackberry 7520 model?
The 7520 works the same as the 7510 I have. Press the and the U key. The 'U' key is normally the dash, but on the sym menu, it's the underscore character.

Aaron
Old 07-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #53
jwinterton

Model: 8330
Carrier: TELUS

I have the 7250, and my company has the BES. However, I am NOT on the BES, my handheld operates from the WebClient.

I am with Bell Mobility and am trying to configure my "BerryVine" Application for use, as I always recieve, "connection NOT available." I have no TCP/IP option under the Options icon... so is it my unit or my Service Provider? Is there a way to make this Application run without having to fork out "millions" to get another BES account? ( We only had 5 initially )

If anyone knows, please feel free to fill me in ;) TY!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:58 AM   #54
buttbutt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cing

Latest email from myblueberry.net says no more outlook access. They are forcing everyone to use owa for all connections. Prior to going through looking for other providers, are all of them making this move, or just blueberry?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:42 PM   #55
GadgetJunkie

Model: 7280

Whatever happened to MyBlueberry.com??? (or MyBlackberry.com)

Last edited by GadgetJunkie; 09-15-2005 at 08:44 PM..
Old 09-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #56
exchangemymail
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: AT&T
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttbutt
Latest email from myblueberry.net says no more outlook access. They are forcing everyone to use owa for all connections. Prior to going through looking for other providers, are all of them making this move, or just blueberry?
buttbutt -

Not all of us are doing that. We ( www.exchangemymail.com ) offer full access thought the MAPI client using Outlook 2003, as well as OWA..

We have made a public offer to all members of this forum of a 10% discount.
Please see the thread here:

http://blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=14034

as you can see we have extremely good customer support, and hope we can help you get connected to a BES 4.0

Thanks -

P.S - We would like to be included in the list of providers if anybody is updating that list..
Support: 516-484-0077
Exchangemymail.com
GBESX.com

Last edited by exchangemymail; 10-22-2005 at 09:20 AM..
Old 09-18-2005, 09:21 AM   #57
kennyschiff

Model: 8300
Default Opinions on Hosted BES/Exchange Providers

We currently outsource both Exchange/BES to a hosting company who is not specifically Exchange/BES oriented. They also host all of our other applications (Office, Accounting, File services, etc...). We are in the process of bringing these applications in-house (about 40 users), but are debating on whether to also bring Exchange/BES inhouse too.

We don't have much of an internal IT staff, so I'm considering hosting Exchange and BES, but will only do so if I can find a provider who is nearly bullet proof (technically), and highly customer service oriented.

Can anyone speak to their experiences with a hosted provider when hosting over 30 mailboxes and BBerrys? If I go down the hosted road, it needs to be someone who is in it for the long haul.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:06 AM   #58
abz123

Model: 8330
Carrier: bell

so when 4.0 BWC comes out

ill have free internet on my bell blackberry 7250?

im completly lost....lol
Old 10-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #59
exchangemymail
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

can we get listed on this list too? we are Platinum Sponsors and offer Hosted BES4.0

Exchange My Mail
www.exchangemymail.com
888-608-MAIL

Thanks -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
The Hosted Blackberry Enterprise Server Thread
aka "How To Make Your BlackBerry Better, Faster & More Reliable"

[Original: Feb 13th, 2004]
[Edited: May 14th, 2005]

...Your carrier or BlackBerryOS does not support TCP/IP?
...Want Wireless PIM Synchronization?
...Want Better Attachment Viewing?
...Want faster web access on a Blackberry?
...Want online web banking on a Blackberry?
...Get 100+ MB email space, breaking the 10 MB barrier?
...Be able to download software Over-The-Air?

Target audience
  • Self employed indivudals.
  • Individual users who just want to use a Blackberry to its fullest potential.
  • Small corporations
  • Deaf users who need the best wireless communicator
  • People who want to bypass a slow BWC/BIS email server
Blackberry Attraction? What's The Big Deal?

First-time readers may be wondering what the hoopla is about. Blackberry phones have such good thumb keyboards and very good reliability. Email on Blackberry is generally vastly superior to everything else including other cellphones, other smartphones, PocketPC, PalmOS handhelds. Some invidual non-business users are starting to buy Blackberry because they really love its email; even if not as good for things like videogames. While not the Blackberry keyboard is much lauded to have an extremely good feel allowing some people to type as fast as 70 words per minute on a device that is smaller than a wallet. If Blackberry is so great for email, why shouldn't I also run other Internet applications on it like I can do on a PalmOS and PocketPC? An interesting piece of Blackberry history is that USA goverment prevented a USA company from shutting down the Blackberry network with a lawsuit [WashingtonPost.com link] -- despite that Blackberry is a Canadian technology. This is surprising, considering relations between USA and Canada since 9/11 -- it does underscore how good and addictive Blackberries are. According to news articles, Blackberries were deployed throughout the federal government shortly after 9/11 and the anthrax evacuations, to improve communiations during crisis.

Why Is MDS Required?

MDS means Mobile Data Services, which is explained on this web page at Research In Motion. MDS is a feature of BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). The simplest english to the layman is that MDS essentially makes full Internet access possible on your Blackberry. Without access to MDS, it is almost as if you are behind "The Great Firewall" that blocks all ports except for email and WAP, limiting your ability to use your Blackberry. The original market for Blackberries are corporations, and this is why a server solution is marketed. A medium and larger size corporation generally has no problem getting a Blackberry Enterprise Server solution set up. However, these days, the Blackberry market is diversifying and there are now more and more individual and self-employed users of Blackberries, and do not need all of BES features.

How do I get MDS?

If you're a big enough corporation, it's not a problem. You just need to buy a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES). However, they are generally too expensive for sole individuals because they start at $995 for a 5-user license. Some discounts can be found through a reseller, but this still burns a huge hole in an individual's pocket. Not to mention, you will need a dedicated Internet connection at your home to run BES at home. Sometimes, a small group of people are so desparate that they have pooled their money and actually purchased BES to share amongst themselves. Today, now an easier option has cropped up: a hosting service! Just like buying inexpensive web hosting instead of having an expensive T1/T3 to your home, you can finally now get BES hosting today. Surprise! Preliminary checks on pricing like a very manageable monthly fee that's actually is less than an average telephone or cable bill.

Oh No, Not Another Monthly Fee!

Unfortunately, it's a lot more appealing for individuals and self-employed consultants than paying several hundreds of dollars and running a dedicated server at home. Blackberries are like Crackberries - they are the most addictive wireless Internet devices around - and you'll pay a premium to get the best mobile Internet experience.

Do I need MDS for realtime email?

No. You don't need MDS for realtime email; you can already use your blackberry.net / blackberry.com email address and you'll receive emails on it nearly instantly (about 4 seconds after clicking send on desktop). This does not apply to POP mailboxes you add to your Blackberry, which are on a 15-minute poll.

I only need email and don't care about MDS.

True, most people only need the great email feature of Blackberry and is happy to stick with it. But some of us want to be able to chat on instant messaging networks such as AIM, ICQ, and MSN. Others of us want remote access to our home computer for retrieving files, or want SSH access to their own Linux box. Some of us are gladly willing to pay tens of dollars extra per month to gain access to such features, but the service provider won't provide the feature.

Any Other Benefits of Hosted BES/MDS?

For one, you get wireless Outlook/PIM synchronization. If you like the thought of being able to add new addresses and calendar entries to your Microsoft Outlook, and have them automatically show up on your BlackBerry seconds later, you'll love having access to BES/MDS. Even your Inbox folder structure will be synchronized. You can even view image attachments too (Requires both OS 4.0 and BES 4.0). Another benefit is that your email Inbox will be much bigger than the one provided with BWC/BIS. Your email will likely show up faster, since BWC/BIS can be very slow sometimes when cell carrier servers get overloaded. And MDS Internet access is usually much more reliable than the TCP/IP stack built into BlackBerryOS4.

I can just use Rogers, T-Mobile, AT&T, NexTel, Telus Instead, they give me full Blackberry Internet access.

Great, if you're one of the lucky ones! For instructions on how to setup TCP/IP on a BlackBerry, see this thread. Recent Blackberry models such as 7100 and 7290 on these carriers are known to have full access to the Internet. Older BlackBerries upgraded to BlackBerryOS 4.0 also have full access to the Internet now. These carriers are great if you are in one of their great coverage areas. However, not everybody of us are in their good coverage areas and some of us need a Blackberry that can roam. For example, there is now GSM/GPRS coverage in Canada driving along inter-city highways between major Canadian cities, with certain providers in Canada. Other people want to still be able to receive email while travelling aboard.

How do I do Over-The-Air Downloads?

You launch the Blackberry Browser (or WAP browser) and click on any link that connects to a .jad file. These are tiny Java applications called Midlets. In technical terms, these are J2ME applications (MIDP 1.0). By having access to MDS, you can easily do Over-The-Air downloads of software directly to your Blackberry, just like downloading software to a modern Java powered cellphone. (Blackberry actually uses the same Java language). That means software designed for a Nokia or Motorola cellphone can work on your BlackBerry! Two of the most popular Over-The-Air download websites are Midlet.org and J2ME-Software.com. On some midlet download sites, sometimes you may have to masquerade as another cellphone or select "All Devices" in order to get access to a clickable .jad link on your Blackberry.

I heard my carrier is going to provide a public MDS/MDG service for free.

Yes, that's right. For more information, please see Configuring Internet On BlackBerry, which may be all you need, unless you want the extra features of a BES. Several carriers including Rogers, T-Mobile, AT&T, Nextel, and Telus now provide TCP/IP capabilities on BlackBerries! This is also called "Blackberry Internet Connection Service" internally at some carriers. Service books are often called "BlackBerry Internet Browsing Service". Additional carriers are already beta-testing this. Even with a public MDS, there are still the advantages of bigger email space and potential better performance using a separate BES/MDS hosting service. In the meantime, most hosting services are month-by-month, so you can cancel once your carrier provides Public MDS service. To help accelerate your carrier's deployment of Public MDS, call your carrier's Blackberry department and request support for Public MDS and tell them Rogers, T-Mobile, AT&T, Nextel and Telus now support it. As an example, tell your carrier about Verichat and WebMessenger instant messaging, and how it will improve Blackberry sales if users could easily install Internet applications on Blackberry. Point your carrier's support department to this thread, to help educate even more people at the carrier understand the need for Public MDS.

Is MDS/MDG Specific To Blackberries?

Not quite. All modern cellphones with access to the Internet, require a gateway of some kind. You may have heard of these in different naming conventions such as GGSN, APN, MDG, etc. In simple terms, they essentially make connections possible between a carrier network and an external network, such as the Internet on your mobile device (or even just a simple connection to a BES server). If you have heard of GGSN (APN) on a cellphone, then that's a network component similiar to MDG. More information about various gateway services is provided on this SourceO2 page and on this Motorola iDEN page. Only MDS is Blackberry specific, while MDG and GGSN (APN) is not Blackberry specific. In fact, MDS still uses MDG in order to connect between a Blackberry and a BES server, and then from there, mobile Internet connections are made through your company's Internet connection. Credit given to a forum member (Deefer) who recently gave an excellent explanation that made this paragraph possible.

Finding Cheap Access To MDS

A cheaper way of getting access to MDS for individuals. Individual self-employed people like me can't always justify paying $595 or $995 for a Blackberry Enterprise Server just to get access to web, chat, IM, telnet/ssh and other utilities that require MDS There is huge demand out there by self-employed individuals (like me) who want their Blackberry to be able to do full HTML, telnet/ssh, AIM/ICQ/MSN messaging, and other sysadmin utilities, perhaps to connect to their home computer, etc. People like me are willing to pay an additional monthly fee to gain access to additional applications such as instant messaging and being able to do HTML web browsing with color graphics. As long as it is not a large one-time fee such as $595 or $995, considering that a few Blackberry carriers and most non-Blackberry carriers already include full Internet service at no extra charge.

Blackberry Internet Applications For Consumers/Prosumers:

Here's a partial listing of BlackBerry Internet software available for BlackBerries:
Optional Hosted BES/MDS Services
  • Link2ExchangePlatinum Sponsor
    Best BES/Exchange Host, 24/7 North American Support, Stride to exceed your expectations. $19.90 per month. (BES4 Upgraded!)

• MyBlueberry.com
    Cheapest MDS service available. Also called MyBlackberry. More barebones than the average BES/MDS provider, there is traditionally a large emphasis on MDS rather than providing Exchange email, although you get an Exchange email box too. Appears to be a good choice if you just want to keep using your existing BWC/BIS email. $10 per month. (BES4 Upgraded!)

• Link2Exchange
    They are one of the more established WAP gateway providers normally providing web browser gateway services for regular cellphones. They have recently entered the BES/MDS hosting business. $19.95 per month. (BES4 Upgraded!)

• Mailstreet.com
    This seems to be the most popular choice, especially for small corporations. I use this, and it works with all Blackberry apps I've tried. They are a hosted Exchange server provider with a Blackberry Enterprise Server option. $23 per month total costs, it is reportedly possible to get access to BES/MDS. (BES4 Upgraded!)

• eOutlook
    This service is cheaper, and some people have mixed reports about this. $16.90 per month. Back in early 2004, it was reported slow technical support and may not be as reliable as Mailstreet. (No updates as of 2005).

• Lanlogic
    They now provide BES Hosting. About $25 per month. This is an old favourite among some corporations, as they have been around since 1995.

• MI8 Corporation
    They cater to bigger groups, supposed to support MDS. Need to contact them for a price quote, normally cater to at least 10 people but reportedly catered to a single individual.

• Bell Canada Hosted Exchange
    This is great if you are a Bell Canada BlackBerry user, since that's their own in-house MDS hosting service.

• Intermedia
    Another popular recommended BES/MDS service, used by many corporate users. Not as commonly used by self employed people and consumers as Mailstreet or MyBlackberry.
Support: 516-484-0077
Exchangemymail.com
GBESX.com
Old 10-22-2005, 03:24 PM   #60
pescamilla

Model: 8800

I just signed up for Exchange My Mail hosted service and it is great! The customer support is the best I have ever delt with. I highly recommend them.
Closed Thread