BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:36 AM   #21
kcwilliams

Model: 7520

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
When the blackberry sends an email, it routes to RIM's network. Even if you could route to your corporate network's mail server to send the email, it would most likely fail. Most corporate networks also block mail relaying.
I believe that is the whole point of this thread. With BIS 1.8 that's what happened. With BIS 2.0 it no longer routes to RIM's network, it routes to the corporate network if you change the Reply To address to your corporate address...thereby failing because mail relaying is blocked.

Last edited by kcwilliams; 08-01-2006 at 12:02 PM..
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #22
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilliams
I believe that is the whole point of this thread. With BIS 1.8 that's what happened. With BIS 2.0 it no longer routes to RIM's network, it routes to the corporate network if you change the Reply From address to your corporate address...thereby failing because mail relaying is blocked.
I think you mean Reply To..... but in any case, most companies regard security as top priority. This is just another security hole being plugged up. RIM should not be part of the reply routing for email.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #23
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ozProphets
I found out a little more about the problem. In my mail server software there is an option called 'ip shielding'. So someone attempting to send email as [email address] is blocked, if their ip address is not valid for the mycompany.com domain.

Does anyone know if RIM is working to fix this? Is there a workaround that avoids turning off this security feature?

Thanks!
--bill
This is also known as SPF or Sender Policy Framework. If the incoming server sees email coming from an invalid IP address for that domain, it rejects it. For more info, see SPF: A Sender Policy Framework to Prevent Email Forgery
Old 08-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #24
kcwilliams

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
I think you mean Reply To..... but in any case, most companies regard security as top priority. This is just another security hole being plugged up. RIM should not be part of the reply routing for email.
Thank you, I fixed my typo to read Reply To.

I agree, security is top priority. And by making this change in BIS 2.0, RIM is forcing us to remove that security...thereby opening up, not plugging up a security hole on our side.

I know the alternative is use BES (which requires funding because we have so many users), or get it working with integrated account...which I cannot seem to do and RIM refuses to help.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #25
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilliams
Thank you, I fixed my typo to read Reply To.

I agree, security is top priority. And by making this change in BIS 2.0, RIM is forcing us to remove that security...thereby opening up, not plugging up a security hole on our side.

I know the alternative is use BES (which requires funding because we have so many users), or get it working with integrated account...which I cannot seem to do and RIM refuses to help.
Its always frustrating when something new changes something old. I'm sure many corporations and the Gov't requested RIM make these changes to ensure security is under their control for corporate email. Its hard to defend a network/server when something outside your control has access. That's why RIM is reluctant to provide assistance for a workaround.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #26
12ozProphets
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

This is a big problem for companies who rely on BIS. The old service correctly flagged inbound email as:

Reply-To: [email address]

The new service incorrectly spoofs my domain

Reply-To: [email address]

This is the real problem...
Old 10-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #27
ArminHammer

Model: 8130e
Thumbs up Error 5.1.0 550 Sending Email Problem

This is what I have done for the company I work for...We started getting the problems in Aug until now (Oct)...also Bell Canada is no help at all.

Because of the upgrade from BIS 1.8 to 2.0...they didnt merge the version right...so any email created with version 1.8 will get those problems using version 2.0.

You need to create a new email...if you delete the current blackberry email address...it will not be deleted until 30 days from the RIM servers.

Example:

[email address] < thats for Bell Canada Users

Change it to:

[email address]

Just doing that it works...if any provider tells you that its a spam filter or your service book on the handheld is out of date...HANG UP THE PHONE...

Just making that small change...EVERYTHING is back to normal...
Closed Thread