Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Verizon BIS 2.0 Yahoo Mail

Please Login to Remove!

I don't know if everyoine is aware of this, but adding your Yahoo email address to the new BIS will deliver email in real-time. This is similar to the T-mobile BIS that has been operational since Oct. 2005

I tested this using email sent from my server to the Yahoo email address. Once the mail log showed a successful delivery to Yahoo's servers, the email was delivered within 2-3 seconds to my BB. Also, sent and deleted email on the BB will be copied to the Yahoo Sent and Trash folders.

Now if I can only find information on how the BIS is notified of new email in my other IMAP accounts.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
whsbuss

Default Another Observation

After you configure your Yahoo address in the BIS, you can only manage the General Options. There is no link for Advanced Options (port, password, etc.)
Old 04-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
havaloc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I'm guessing behavior has not changed on your regular IMAP accounts since the Yahoo thing kicked in. Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Now if I can only find information on how the BIS is notified of new email in my other IMAP accounts.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaloc
I'm guessing behavior has not changed on your regular IMAP accounts since the Yahoo thing kicked in. Bummer.
I thought the same thing, but to no avail. I retested today as soon as I found Yahoo doing real time delivery via the VZ BIS. I'm almost positive its not IMAP IDLE that is the mechanism to notify the BIS. Could you imagine all the connected 143 ports between Yahoo and the RIM NOC.

I'll keep looking/testing!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Also, sent and deleted email on the BB will be copied to the Yahoo Sent and Trash folders.
Sent you a PM but I assume the opposite is not true. Sent and delted from Yahoo DONT show up on the BB?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Sent you a PM but I assume the opposite is not true. Sent and delted from Yahoo DONT show up on the BB?
I responded back. You got it right.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
mistermix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

Thanks for noticing this, whsbuss.

Interesting that BB devices aren't listed for Verizon at the mobile for mail page:

http://mobile.yahoo.com/services?prop=mail
Old 04-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermix
Thanks for noticing this, whsbuss.

Interesting that BB devices aren't listed for Verizon at the mobile for mail page:

http://mobile.yahoo.com/services?prop=mail
Interesting indeed. But it does say other carriers will soon be supported.
Its just part of the BIS 2.0 functionality. Once the carrier upgrades it becomes supported.

Just wish I could find the protocol/handshake/port to notify the new BIS when mail arrives, like Yahoo. That's the missing piece to get real time delivery from other email providers.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
mistermix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

Quote:
. . .
Just wish I could find the protocol/handshake/port to notify the new BIS when mail arrives, like Yahoo. That's the missing piece to get real time delivery from other email providers.
Total guess, but I'll bet it is some kind of back-channel notification API that RIM saves for big players like Yahoo and Google. I'd be surprised if they would open it up for just folks like us.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermix
Total guess, but I'll bet it is some kind of back-channel notification API that RIM saves for big players like Yahoo and Google. I'd be surprised if they would open it up for just folks like us.
You're probably right. Gotta think they would want to license it to ISP providers, for a price.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #11
sparky_dfw_tx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Question. I added my Yahoo account to VZW BIS 2.0 and after a couple of hours I sent an e-mail to my Yahoo account only to find it took ~15 minutes to arrive on my BB. Is there anything special one has to do to enable real-time delivery? Will real-time delivery work for the general/free Yahoo accounts?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
sparky_dfw_tx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_dfw_tx
Question. I added my Yahoo account to VZW BIS 2.0 and after a couple of hours I sent an e-mail to my Yahoo account only to find it took ~15 minutes to arrive on my BB. Is there anything special one has to do to enable real-time delivery? Will real-time delivery work for the general/free Yahoo accounts?
At this point I am going to rescind my question...The test I performed was over the weekend, but I tested it again since I posted this post and both of my test e-mails arrived ~1 minute after I sent them. I suppose the ~1 minute time can be chalked up to going from my corporate server to the yahoo server and finally to the Blackberry server for delivery.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 AM   #13
whsbuss

Quote:
At this point I am going to rescind my question...The test I performed was over the weekend, but I tested it again since I posted this post and both of my test e-mails arrived ~1 minute after I sent them. I suppose the ~1 minute time can be chalked up to going from my corporate server to the yahoo server and finally to the Blackberry server for delivery.
The timing sounds right. It depends on when it gets delivered to the Yahoo network. From the mail log entries I've tested, it takes 2-3 seconds for it to reach the BB after it delivers the email.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #14
sparky_dfw_tx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Has anyone had problems sending new mail from their Yahoo account via the BB? Last night I tried to send a couple of new e-mails using my Yahoo address, and each time (tried four or five times) I ended up with a red X. When I opened the e-mail it said there was an invalid address, which is funny because the address I was sending to is an address I send to all the time.

Replying to an e-mail sent to my Yahoo address works fine.

I searched for an answer to this, but couldn't find anything useful.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #15
whsbuss

Quote:
Has anyone had problems sending new mail from their Yahoo account via the BB? Last night I tried to send a couple of new e-mails using my Yahoo address, and each time (tried four or five times) I ended up with a red X. When I opened the e-mail it said there was an invalid address, which is funny because the address I was sending to is an address I send to all the time.

Replying to an e-mail sent to my Yahoo address works fine.

I searched for an answer to this, but couldn't find anything useful.
"Usually" a red-X means the network could not connect (data) for delivery. Did you try to re-send the message?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #16
sparky_dfw_tx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
"Usually" a red-X means the network could not connect (data) for delivery. Did you try to re-send the message?

That is what I thought as well, but it seemed odd that it would allow me to send a response via my Yahoo account (right after the other one failed), but not send a new email via my Yahoo account.

To answer your question, yes I did try to re-send the message (several times in fact), but it never went through. I can tell you I tried again a little while ago and had no issues. In fact, I have tried it several times since and everytime it has worked as designed....Maybe it was some sort of anomaly.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #17
whsbuss

Quote:
That is what I thought as well, but it seemed odd that it would allow me to send a response via my Yahoo account (right after the other one failed), but not send a new email via my Yahoo account.

To answer your question, yes I did try to re-send the message (several times in fact), but it never went through. I can tell you I tried again a little while ago and had no issues. In fact, I have tried it several times since and everytime it has worked as designed....Maybe it was some sort of anomaly.
Its always a possibility the RIM network has temp problems. I assume your on BIS 2.0. It may have been a problem with the BIS sending a copy of the sent message to the Yahoo! Sent folder.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #18
MMWinter

Model: 7250

Quote:

I can say I actually experienced a similar anomaly. I was able to respond to messages, but messages I created were not sending to an account that i write to multiple times a day. This is when I started "messing around" with the options/message services. I can't tell you what the result was, because evertually I was able to send created emails, and I just chalked it up to the usual kiccups with the whole system of forwarding and associating accounts.

I wrote a related post yesterday, about which "message services" to use when you have multiple email accounts on the BIS. Perhaps it could be related to this?

I can't exactly remember the "status" of the messages that wouldn't send, but it caused me to think that it had something to do with the mail account that i was sending from.

However, this is encouraging in some way, because i have a yahoo account from a long time ago, that i've never used, but may start using more now.

Last edited by MMWinter; 05-03-2006 at 07:36 AM..
Old 05-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #19
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWinter
I wrote a related post yesterday, about which "message services" to use when you have multiple email accounts on the BIS. Perhaps it could be related to this?

I can't exactly remember the "status" of the messages that wouldn't send, but it caused me to think that it had something to do with the mail account that i was sending from.

However, this is encouraging in some way, because i have a yahoo account from a long time ago, that i've never used, but may start using more now.
Its possbile. In the new BIS you cannot send messages using the Web Client service book that is still installed after you update. I believe its purpose is to read emails that was part of the old BIS web client.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #20
sparky_dfw_tx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Its possbile. In the new BIS you cannot send messages using the Web Client service book that is still installed after you update. I believe its purpose is to read emails that was part of the old BIS web client.
I don't think that is entirely true, whsbuss. When I send a new e-mail I have Web Client as one of the options to use as my Sent From address. In fact, I have used this a couple of times and not had any problems. To be fair, I read in another thread that this feature will probably go away 30 days after one updates to the new BIS, leaving one's blackberry.net address and any other address they have set up as the choices for Sent From.
Closed Thread