Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default BES + BIS Enabled on ONE device

Please Login to Remove!

Hello there,

Got BES + BIS enabled on the 9800.

If we assume the BES rules allow everything - third party apps, BBM, etc

- Does that mean the BES admin can see all my activity?

If that is the case

- Is it possible to configure the device to use BIS for all my personal stuff and BES for work related data ONLY (EXCHANGE email).

If we assume the BES rules alllow for limited perks - BBM and EXCHANGE Only

- When I bbm my friends, can the BES admin see this?

To be brief,

I own a personal blackberry (9700), which I want to sell (at the time of upgrade). My services on my 9700 currently support BIS only.

Work has just approved me for a BB this year and I will be getting the 9800.

Instead of putting the Work SIM into the 9800, I'd like to stick the work SIM in a crap nokia. I'd then like to put my personal SIM (previously in the 9700) into the 9800.

I would then activate BES on my personal service plan, meaning I will have both, BES and BIS enabled on the 9800..

I would like to make it possible to limit the BES admins visibility. I only want the BES admin/server to see anything that is work related ONLY (Just my exchange email) and not anything else - BBM, IM, PERSONAL EMAIL etc.

I also know that BBM is permitted by the BES rules. And as you know, BBM also works on BIS. That said, here's my tricky question:

As BBM is permitted on both, when I exchange conversations with my personal friends, will the data usage register with the BES server or my personal account?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Systematic; 01-28-2011 at 08:23 AM..
Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: BES + BIS Enabled on ONE device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systematic View Post
Does that mean the BES admin can see all my activity?
Most activity... not all.

Quote:
Is it possible to configure the device to use BIS for all my personal stuff and BES for work related data ONLY (EXCHANGE email).
No. BES takes precedence.

Quote:
When I bbm my friends, can the BES admin see this?
Yes.

Quote:
I would like to make it possible to limit the BES admins visibility. I only want the BES admin/server to see anything that is work related ONLY (Just my exchange email) and not anything else - BBM, IM, PERSONAL EMAIL etc.
Not possible. Once active on BES, the BES admins can pretty much do whatever they want.
You no longer have control.

Quote:
As BBM is permitted on both, when I exchange conversations with my personal friends, will the data usage register with the BES server or my personal account?
BES can see and log any BBM conversation
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

My advice is that if you don't want anyone to see what you are sending or receiving, then get your own personal device. That way, you know you will be somewhat safe.

I also do not recommend circumventing company policies. They are issuing you a 9800 activated on their BES and most likely paying the bills. They expect you to use that device for work related activities. Trying to go around company policies is grounds for termination in many firms.

You should read these:

What can a BES Administrator xxx8220;seexxx8221; on my BB...

What does BES see; what can be tracked/logged? - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 01-28-2011 at 08:37 AM..
Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Systematic

Excellent advice by the both of you.

I am the IT administrator for my site.

A point to note is that the device will come to me and then it is my responsibility to supply the information to the BES admin (overseas), who will then register the device to the BES.

OK what I am going to do is get a crap BB device, shove my work SIM in it and register it with the BES.

I will then stick my personal SIM into the 9800 when it arrives and all data usage will be billed to me and content will be protected.

It is very good to know that BES takes precedence over BIS.

Merci beacoup gentlemen

Last edited by Systematic; 01-28-2011 at 08:55 AM..
Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Systematic

Got one more question:

I don't suppose any of the above can be made invisible if the device is ENCRYPTED?

I presume the answer is that the administrator can see it despite native encryption. But what IF I had third party encryption software installed and enabled on the device?

The reason I ask is because as a network admin, I know that IM conversations on a work network can be logged/read etc however, if the clients are encrypted, the conversation is impossible to track. I wonder if the same holds true for BB, specifically BBM chat?

Last edited by Systematic; 01-28-2011 at 09:05 AM..
Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You need to make sure the company and the BES Admin overseas will not know that you are using another device, not the one they sent and intended you to use.

Personally, I think you are taking a big risk and I would not do it, just for the sake of a couple hundred bucks and a new BB.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Systematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
You need to make sure the company and the BES Admin overseas will not know that you are using another device, not the one they sent and intended you to use.

Personally, I think you are taking a big risk and I would not do it, just for the sake of a couple hundred bucks and a new BB.
Sorry buddy, my last message was not clear.

The BES and the BES team is overseas.

I am responsible for all cell handsets in the EU region therefore any new handset for an EU employee is delivered directly to me. If that device is a BB, it is up to me to forward the information of the device (IMEI, PIN etc) I want registered with the BES to the team overseas.

The BB is never in the hands of the BES team nor is it preconfigured with a BES account nor does the operator inform the BES team that a new BB is being delivered to me. All that is my job.

There is NO way of them knowing I am using an old BB device for exchange and the brand new 9800 for my own personal use. They just need to know that I am a BES user and I am receiving emails to A device (irrespective of what that is)

I am 99% sure there is no risk in this.

What I am interested in is, is encryption. If we go back to original scenario - using BIS+BES together on ONE device.

If the device is encrypted, can the BES admin see the information being sent back and forth via BES for something like BBM?

Thanks!

Last edited by Systematic; 01-28-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
If the device is encrypted, can the BES admin see the information being sent back and forth via BES for something like BBM?
Yes, they can see it. You can't encrypt BBM yourself. BBM can only be encrypted by way of the BES itself.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Systematic

I totally know how to get around this and stop the BES admin from seeing BBM chats. That is providing the app is open to being installed, which I think it is.

Just use WhatsApp or GTALK.

BOOM.
Closed Thread