Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
Hoop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Default BWC - transparent alternate email

Please Login to Remove!

I have a company 7280 with BES. I have also signed up for BWC. I am planning on using BWC for personal mail and BES for work.

OK, this is what I am trying to do: I would like to set up a third address, such as hotmail, that I can use for personal mail. The reason is that I don't really want to give out my @mycingular.blackberry.net account. I want to avoid the inevitable spam on a hard (or impossible) to change account name. I would like to make this as transparent as possible to keep anyone for finding out my @mycingular.blackberry.net account.

Here is what I have thought of so far. Set up hotmail account. This is the account that you give out the address to. It is basically disposable and easy to change. Set filter to forward everything (or maybe only from know contacts) to the @mycingular.blackberry.net account. That pretty easily takes care of getting mail.

For sending, you can easily change the option on the @mycingular.blackberry.net account to show the reply and sent from addresses as the hotmail account. That takes care of any sent mail.

The rub somes when you want to reply or forward something sent to you originally. Since it will be sent to hotmail and forwarded to @mycingular.blackberry.net, the @mycingular.blackberry.net account will be visible. You also cannot reply as you would only be sending it to yourself.

Basically, anything sent to you cannot be easily replied to or forwarded, but you can easily send and receive 'individual' emails.

Anyone have a plausible workaround?

If I have things figured correctly, when you receive hotmail, it will automatically forward to BWC, which will push directly to the BB. So that's pretty slick.[/i]
Old 09-24-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Hoop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

A couple more thoughts.

It seems like what I am wanting is a way to spoof the address I am sending to from hotmail. I would make it look like hotmail forwarded to itself, but in reality it went to @mycingular.blackberry.net. Maybe this is illegal/unethical or something. I dunno.

After re-reading Mark's informative thread on the five types of email available, maybe the best solution is to just set up another pop accound from my existing ISP. I would use an existing account but the spam is starting to kill me. Maybe it is just time to start over.

Lastly, if spam could finally be regulated somehow (i.e. made illegal, punishable by death), I wouldn't be worrying about this.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

You can sort of spoof the email by configuring your BWC email address ReplyTo: so that when you reply to your Hotmail messages, you'll look like you're coming from Hotmail.

However, to forward Hotmail messages to your Blackberry, you might want to see if a paid hotmail subscription also permits automatic forwarding of hotmail email messages to external email accounts. That would be a workaround. The paid hotmail account may also enable POP pulling too.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-25-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
anthonymoody
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Currently neither free nor paid Hotmail allows forwarding *or* POP3 access. They don't allow forwarding b/c they're like the roach motel - you can start using hotmail, but you can't stop b/c you can't forward to a new account to which you've switched

Re: POP, only Outlook and outlook express can access hotmail directly on the desktop (actually the MSN client works as well of course). According to what I've read about the 7100t, including official BB and TMo communications, it's supposed to be able to check hotmail directly so....

TM
Old 10-16-2004, 04:08 AM   #5
robb

I don't know about yahoo, but I have set up my gmail account to forward messages to my BWC address. When gmail forwards the message, it retains the FROM: address of the original sender, so replying works just fine. Also, on the blackberry.net website, it was easy enough to set my FROM address on the handhled to be the gmail address, so forwarding and composing BWC messages also appear to be from gmail.

Repeated the same with my hosted BES account and work email.

So, I think I'm doing exactly what you want to do.

If you want a gmail account, I have referrals, just email or PM me.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
KendallParis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Boost

Well, I don't know how much personal mail you will be expecting, so my solution may be a tad bit tedious. However, I set up a Mobile MSN account. It doesn't forward your e-mail, but it does send a SMS to you whenever you get mail.

It will say: [email address]. When you open the message it will then say: [email address]/[Hotmail], tell you who it's from and give a brief overview about the topic.

You can then go to Mobile MSN to read the message and reply from there.

As you know, you can set a different tone for your SMS, so maybe this will help.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:32 PM   #7
robb

I checked this further, just to be sure, and nowhere in the body of a message I sent to gmail, forwarded to BWC, and replied to did I see my blackberry address.

However, buried in one of the headers it does appear. Still, I think this will cover you for almost all purposes, as the from address is gmail, the reply-to address is gmail. Unless you are trying to protect from malicious use of your blackberry address, you shouldn't have any trouble.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
spysonic
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: att

Question:

I currently get my Yahoo mail on my BB since I pay for the POP service; no problems receiving mail on my BB.

I also changed the email address on my BWC from [email address] to [email address]

No one has my bb.net email address so all email received there is from yahoo.

I also get my work email from our corporate BES.

The problem is when I get email on my yahoo account, I click on reply..type my message...but I don't see a "Send" option.

Is this because I changed my sent from address from bb.net to yahoo?

Or do you think my corporate policy might prevent this some how?
Old 10-20-2004, 03:08 PM   #9
spysonic

Model: 8120
Carrier: att

Additionally, does anyone know if I can choose the email address I compose messages from? Or am I relegated to using my corporate email on BES?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:02 PM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

You can choose between BWC and BES.

Basically, easilly can choose between two email addresses in "From:".

If you have only BWC, then you are limited to one "From:" address, unless you go for third party hacks.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-22-2004, 03:24 AM   #11
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

I disagree:

I use the Redirector at work, and BWC from my personal account.

The BB knows where each email came from, so when i reply, it sends through the appropriate service. On my BWC, i have a reply-to address set, on the redirector, it appears to come direct from my office e-mail account..

works great.

Secondlyh, for hotmail, just use the Hotmail Mobile link through the HTML browser, works great, and even remembers my passport in a cookie, so every time i browse i go straight in (after a few seconds)

all work fine on the BB.

Technical details:

You require the BWC service book and of course, for the redirector, the redirector's service books for mail service. When replying to a BWC or redirector e-mail, scroll to the top and it will say Using: (service name)

If you see two different service names for one each BWC or Redirector, then your BB is aware of both services and it should work fine..

BES, i'm not sure about but since redirector is BES-superlite, why not?
Old 10-22-2004, 03:41 PM   #12
robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spysonic
The problem is when I get email on my yahoo account, I click on reply..type my message...but I don't see a "Send" option.

I had a similar problem when I first getting setup. Deleting and reinstalling the BWC service book fixed it for me.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:23 AM   #13
kilo

Old 11-19-2004, 10:37 PM   #14
slay

Carrier: t-Mobile

Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 AM   #15
atowvim

Model: 7250
Default no Reply with BWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spysonic
Question:

I currently get my Yahoo mail on my BB since I pay for the POP service; no problems receiving mail on my BB.

I also changed the email address on my BWC from [email address] to [email address]

No one has my bb.net email address so all email received there is from yahoo.

I also get my work email from our corporate BES.

FOLLOW-UP: Did anyone ever respond to this? I did not encounter the above problem until my company moved me over to a BES two weeks ago, now I am in the same boat: there is no "Send" link when I reply to the message. Maybe I missed the answer, so apologies in advance!

Last edited by atowvim; 08-03-2005 at 12:45 AM..
Old 09-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #16
jcb3344

Model: 7100t
Default what model to buy

I want a blackberry
I want to use cingular or verizon
I use hotmail.

What model should I get?

Help please someone.
Closed Thread