Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #21
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Like I said, I have had instant gmail for years. Everyone else I know, even those on AT&T have had instant push email on gmail for years, as well.

I have two outlook web access accounts set up through BIS and both specify that ssl is used. Gmail doesn't specify.

There is no more secure email platform than BlackBerry. Just what exactly are you so concerned about? If you have information that is so sensitive that you are concerned about all this then you should definitely be using BES.

Why do you feel "dupped?" What exactly did they promise you? I would place more trust in my email going through RIM's NOC than I would place in Google for hosting it.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #22
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A

I don't trust Google either - they are not my primary account.

I have no desire to argue over this... I will post the info and people can do with it what they will - at least they can make a well informed decision.

I had no way of finding out if any of my email accounts were SSL enabled through the BIS and it took RIM 2 hours to tell me (after speaking to multiple techs) - and I still don't have all the answers.

Maybe people won't care there is no SSL enabled for certain accounts - me, I care.

Sandy
Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I'm not trying to argue with you but I believe SSL is enabled for GMail.

Try this:

After making sure Gmail is set with IMAP enabled in your Gmail settings,

On the blackberry, Select the Email Settings Icon and sign in.

Select the ADD button.

Do NOT select Gmail. Instead, select OTHER.

In the Email Address.. fill in a bogus email address (like [email address])

In the Password field, fill in anything for a password

Click Next.

You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configurexxx8230;"

Select "I will provide the settings" to add this email account, then Next.

In the 'Email Address:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com').

In the 'User Name:' Field, enter the portion of your email address before the "@" (i.e. don't include the @gmail.com)

Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.

In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next.

Click Next.

You'll see "processing, please waitxxx8230;" while it sets things up.

At this point I get an error but it still sets up the account.

When I go back into the account to edit it, it shows the "Advanced Options" that aren't shown in the regular GMail setup account.

In the Advanced Options it shows port 993 and the "Use SSL" box as being checked by default. I'm sure that when you set up the GMail account up automatically using the GMail option that it probably uses the same port and uses SSL. When I setup my @charter.net account this way and then went back and looked at the "Advanced Options" it didn't show the "Use SSL" box checked. I'm guessing that GMail requires the SSL to be checked in order to work.

The down side to actually using GMail after setting it up this alternate way is that your mail will likely be delayed. The regular method of setting up GMail still sets up an IMAP integration with GMail but the mail is instant.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by John Clark; 08-18-2010 at 12:37 AM..
Old 08-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #24
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A

Unfortunately don't assume anything right now... I thought what you did, and was wrong.

I will private message you everything tomorrow... I am waiting for something from RIM that they should know like the back of their hand - if they won't tell me, that will be very "telling."

Then you can post the thread... it will be better coming from you. Unless you choose not to - but you would never back this. Nobody would.

You need to protect the people here from what they don't know could harm them.

Sandy
Closed Thread