Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus
Angry Heavy wireless activity, killing the battery

Please Login to Remove!

We're experiencing some issues with our BB's, numberous times throughout the day we'll see heavy wireless activity without anything happening. No new messages, no changes to the Calendar or anything. It would also seem as a result of this increased activity that the battery will last maybe 24-36 hours.

On a Telus 7750 we've actually seen the antenna shut itself off and turn back on right before our eyes, and continue on with the high traffic. Then it will clear up for a little while.

We have a call in with Telus (who's on strike) and are escallating it up to RIM, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of behaviour the past couple of weeks. My Rogers model has been doing the high activity and battery dying thing too, but I haven't watched it as closely to see in the radio has been rebooting itself.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
HITME ON DC

I to have been experience heavy tx and rx activity. I'm currently with Nextel, utilizing the BB 7520. Like you, Im not conducting any type of wireless activity; no messages, nothing. I been noticing this happening in the past week and a half. Been browsing forums and google and found nothing as to why this is happening. Glad I'm not the only one experience this.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Nice to know we aren't the only ones. I too couldn't find anything either, and' I'm finding it hard to believe that we are the first ones... I've got one user with a 7510 that charges is device every single day cause he thought the battery sucks.

Are you running on a BES 4.0 SP2 server?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Nextel has the lowest talk and standby time of all BBs because of the nextel network you are communictating more than you think.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
HITME ON DC

I'm not on a BES. Just using the regular BWC. I used to go 2 sometimes 3 days before charging my BB. Now, I'd leave to go to work in the morning, and have to charge my BB around lunch. Looking at my BB right now, its transmitting/receiving heavily. I'm not utilizing any programs such as browsers or IM clients. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I've noticed this happening around the same time I noticed the "please hold while sprint subscriber" prompt. Guess I'll have to lug around the charger for awhile.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just got off the phone with Rogers, and one of the things they mentioned as a possibility, if they were working on the towers, and switch off the 1900mhz and you were switched to the 850, your power consumtion would go up. I think Nextel, has similar capability's. My guy is going to check and see if anything was going on with the two towers I'm primariliy at.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
BaronVonBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I often see the same behavior on my Nextel 7520. The 'up/down' arrow above the antennae icon just goes nonstop for hours and hours, fortunately I have an extended battery and recharge at home each night. The only way I've found to stop this is to turn the radio hardware off/on, or to remove/replace the battery. I doubt this is a signal strength issue, as I often have 4+ bars of signal strength, especially after Nextel installed booster antennaes in our building.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:01 PM   #8
LEXYLADI
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default 7520 Up/down Arrows On Bb 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBB
I often see the same behavior on my Nextel 7520. The 'up/down' arrow above the antennae icon just goes nonstop for hours and hours, fortunately I have an extended battery and recharge at home each night. The only way I've found to stop this is to turn the radio hardware off/on, or to remove/replace the battery. I doubt this is a signal strength issue, as I often have 4+ bars of signal strength, especially after Nextel installed booster antennaes in our building.

I have searched the site for days regarding this issue. Some postings said it was an issue with PocketDay, others said the new upgrade software is to blame. Removing the battery does not do a thing as it will start again. Turned off Bluetooth, checked my settings. I am on BWC and since the upgrade, I have had this up/down arrow issue which ruins my battery. I charge each night and only get 1/2 day of use and have to plug in again.

Nextel has no answer. Any help out there?

Thank you for any help!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Have you tried nuking your device and reloading it from scratch? So far that's been RIM best suggestion to date... Mine and my coworkers devices have returned back to normal which is going to make it very difficult to troubleshoot.

If you don't get a bill with the amount of data transfered each month, call them and find out. My usage has doubled this month, and I haven't changed any behaviours...
Old 09-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #10
HITME ON DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXYLADI
I have searched the site for days regarding this issue. Some postings said it was an issue with PocketDay, others said the new upgrade software is to blame. Removing the battery does not do a thing as it will start again. Turned off Bluetooth, checked my settings. I am on BWC and since the upgrade, I have had this up/down arrow issue which ruins my battery. I charge each night and only get 1/2 day of use and have to plug in again.

Nextel has no answer. Any help out there?

Thank you for any help!

Taking heed from LexyLadi's post, I stopped Pocketday and sure enough, the wireless activity stopped. I'll discontinue use of pocketday to see if that is the culprit. 3 hours without pocketday running , I haven't seen much wireless activity.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
MarkHolbrook

Model: 7250

I have had this happen about 5 times now on my BB 7250 from Verizon. Same symptoms... No activity but LOTS of radio rx and tx. And yes it will drain the battery but what is worse is it seems that cell calls do not arrive while this is going on.

The only fix I've had (I haven't tried turning on/off the radio) is to remove the battery for a few seconds and let the thing completely reboot.

After doing that it doesn't restart like another said above. It fixes it for me. I'm using Link2Exchange so I guess thats a BES. But no email or anything is happening during these times.

Mark
Old 09-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
MarkHolbrook

Model: 7250

Oh I too have pocket day and maybe that is the problem but again mine does not go into this mode very often. Only 4 times in the last 3 months.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #13
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

My issue, and several others in our area seem to have cleared up. I'm suspecting Rogers/Telus/RIM was doing some work on the network that were causing increased levels of activity thus draining the battery. It the only explaination that I can come up with where for almost two weeks I'm having to recharge my device daily, and then suddenly I'm back to 3-5 days, and I haven't changed my usage or had a decrease in email traffic...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:27 AM   #14
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

It started happening again for me last night so this morning I opened up my BB log, (alt+LGLG) and found the following patteren repeating itself every 30-33 seconds:

a net.rim.ippp - RXCd - 9/14 07:57:37
a net.rim.ippp - TXst - 9/14 07:57:13
a System - CMM: lib no sig from 0x33 - 9/14 07:57:13

I've submitted my log sample off to Rogers for analysis, but maybe check your logs and see if it's being filled up. It's supposed to be for the day, but my log only goes back 2 hours because it's filling up so fast. I checked a coworker who isn't ahving an issue and it goes back to midnight.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I've discovered via RIM that the lib no sig from 0x33 is a reference to No Signature for a program, which indicates a 3rd party program on the device. I'm running only one third party program WIC and as soon a I rebooted the WIC server, the logging stopped and so did my battery drain issue. Working with the vendor we also found out what the problem was so hopefully it won't return.

So, if your battery is draining faster the usual, and you find a System - CMM: lib no sig from 0x33 or entries very much like it in your BB log (alt+LGLG), start looking at your third party applications installed on your device.
Closed Thread