Old 08-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
onlyonelucy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Angry Bold 9650 battery drain & OVERHEATING

Please Login to Remove!

I have had 3 9650's in the past 3 weeks. The first 2 just drained for no reason. It would charge overnight (8 hours), I'd get up and have 100% battery and within 30 minutes after having it off the charger the battery would be at 85% and continue to drain WITHOUT ME EVEN USING IT. So, the one I have now (a week old) is doing the same thing AND getting very hot. I have had a pearl, curve and tour and they never did this. What is up with this BOLD? I mean c'mon, the battery draining 15% within 30 minutes of taking it off the charger and I had no calls, e-mails or texts? No apps running in the background either! I am so frustrated and don't know what to do.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

When you exchanged the blackberrys, did you keep the same battery and just get another device without battery? In other words, have you had the same battery all along?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
onlyonelucy
Thumbs Must Hurt

New batteries everytime.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
onlyonelucy
Thumbs Must Hurt

My husband has the same one and he has NO problems. Only difference I noticed on the barcode side of the BB box is that his was made in Mexico and mine in Canada.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

It looks like your device may be fighting for a signal

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I'm with akosnitzky. New battery. You say you don't have any apps running in the background. You aren't using the device . . . Do an experiment. Turn off the mobile network and wifi. Charge it up. Remove from charger as you've done before. See if same thing happens, or not.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
onlyonelucy
Thumbs Must Hurt

But my husband's Bold and mine have the same network settings and his doesn't drain and I live in the same place I lived when I had my Tour AND Curve. This is making me mad. I love BB's but I am ready to just get a Droid.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I got you. But do the experiment. See if it makes a difference. Then explain it later. You need clues right now.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
doldmeadow

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telstra
Default My 9000 is overheating all of a sudden

I have been having the same problem with my Bold. I've changed the battery, but it is still happening. It doesnt do it every day, just every now and then. It gets hot and the battery drains in under an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonelucy View Post
I have had 3 9650's in the past 3 weeks. The first 2 just drained for no reason. It would charge overnight (8 hours), I'd get up and have 100% battery and within 30 minutes after having it off the charger the battery would be at 85% and continue to drain WITHOUT ME EVEN USING IT. So, the one I have now (a week old) is doing the same thing AND getting very hot. I have had a pearl, curve and tour and they never did this. What is up with this BOLD? I mean c'mon, the battery draining 15% within 30 minutes of taking it off the charger and I had no calls, e-mails or texts? No apps running in the background either! I am so frustrated and don't know what to do.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
ddale44

Carrier: Sprint

I am having a similar issue with my 9650. I've had the phone for about a month now. It was fine for the most part, but then on Saturday this started happening. Battery completely drains in about 6 hours with little to no use. Never had anything like this happen with any other blackberry I've owned.

And I returned the Evo to go back to blackberry because of the battery life.

Edit: I am going to try the experiment suggested above and see what happens.

Last edited by ddale44; 08-31-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
Andi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I experienced the overheating and slowness when trying to activate a user with the 9650. I couldn't get it to do much of anything ran so slow, then got really hot front and back around the kyeboard - very frustrating. I gave up and had her return it - I hope she gets a better one the second time...
Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
BlueSkyz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: VZW, AT&T, T-Mobile
Default Possible cause .. GPS receiver

I've noticed the same problem with my 9650 since I got it. At first I thought it was a faulty battery, which I had replaced. After a few months of observation I've found that just about ANY application that uses the GPS receiver (i.e. Google Maps), causes my 9650 to last about 6-7 hours MAX (and get quite hot). If I set the GPS for E911 only, it tends to last the entire day. Whenever I need prolonged GPS location information (i.e. for navigation), I'm seemingly forced to use a car charger as navigation apps seem to drain it in about 2-4 hours.

Anyone else noticed this?
BB: 7230, 8800, 8830, 9650
Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
ddale44

Carrier: Sprint

I think I found the source of my problem. I was pushed an upgrade of ubertwitter over the weekend. So yesterday I uninstalled that app. I took my battery off the charger at 2pm yesterday and still have 65% remaining as of this morning. I am guessing I need to tweak the settings in my twitter feed if I reinstall.

I had also turned off data and wifi, but I turned data back on before 2pm yesterday and turned the wifi back on this morning. I have not seen a noticeable drop since doing so. So I can only assume it was ubertwitter causing my issue. We'll see how it goes for the next few days.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
hey

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I had the same issue with my 9650. I discovered the phone switched itself to "Global" mobile network after spending a day in the mountains where there was no signal.

For the next two days, the battery died half way through the day until I figured out the mobile network settings changed.

I switched it to "1XEV" (who was the marketing genius that named that?) and it started working fine again.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
soloo

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

Hello to all

I am thinking about selling my new HTC incredible and go back to Blackberry, I would like to stay in VZW since it is the only provider which has nice coverage in where I live.

Now, my question is do you guys recommend Blackberry Bold 9650, the main reason I would like to say bye bye to HTC incredible is because its battery life is simply to short, just come back to VZW store and there is an old lady claim she has to charge her HTC incredible twice a day ( same as mine ), to me that's just crazy. A mobile phone which requires charge twice a day cannot be called a mobile phone, it is another phone with landline, just happen this land line is power cord instead.

That old, not nice, lady, claim BB bold is "about the same", is she telling the truth or a lie? If BB is about the same, when will VZW has start selling BB with OS6? It seems ATT's BB torch has very decent battery life.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
Bustopher
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 325906f8
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonelucy View Post
Ran into the same issue with my 9650 after about a week of having it...took it back to Verizon, the salesguy took one look at the device and said "there's your problem right there" - I had the Matrix code motion screensaver installed and it was killig my battery. Not to mention I had several other apps running in the background (i.e. Pandora, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to name a few)...once I properly exited those programs the correct way and took the screensaver off, my battery lasts a couple of days almost with normal use - I also turned off WiFi.