Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
JaredH
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Google Maps wont follow me

Please Login to Remove!

So I just got a Freedom 2000 gps bluetooth puck. It works pretty good with nav4all but with google maps it wont just follow me as I drive. I'm assuming it should do this?

All I should need to do is turn on the puck and open google maps right? Please help, thanks.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Does it show the flashing blue dot? If not, hit menu in Google Maps and go to Bluetooth GPS and select SPP.

Then hit "0" to "Go to my location."

Also, make sure you've paired the puck.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
JaredH

I'll have to check tomorrow, I'm visiting friends and their finished basement gives me no signal unfortunately for gps as well as vzw. I can't test this now. A question I might come along tomorrow as well is that I couldn't find that menu in google maps in version 2.2.0. I hit the bberry menu key right? Then where from that point?

Thanks for you response John.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Did you pair the gps in bluetooth already?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
JaredH

As far as I know yes, under Bluetooth it says, Paired Devices: Keychain GPS 2000. And then under properties for Trusted I selected "yes" and encryption is enabled by default.

It says it's a SPP Slave under Services as well if that helps...
Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Google Maps should be able to find it. There is no option for Bluetooth GPS in the menu? Also, you might go to Options >Advanced Options >GPS and make sure that the bluetooth GPS is set for the GPS source and not internal. Then do a refresh of GPS and see if coordinates come up on the page.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
JaredH

Maybe that option in google maps only shows up when my puck is on, idk. I don't see it under anything currently but like I said, I don't have my puck with me and I have 0 reception right now.

I changed that setting earlier today just messing around with my blackberry. I'll check out everything you said and consult back to you tomorrow!

Thanks for the information John
Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Does it show the flashing blue dot? If not, hit menu in Google Maps and go to Bluetooth GPS and select SPP.

Then hit "0" to "Go to my location."

Also, make sure you've paired the puck.
I keep reading about this "gps menu" choice but I've never seen it show up on my Verizon 8830. I just fired the Freedom puck up, fired up Google and NO such menu item. And I read other folks canNOT find it either. In some thread or another there was some speculation that there are different versions of the Google Map software that are offered up depending on either device or carrier.

But then, when firing it up, Google refused to actually find my current location, finding the location where I turned off the gps yesterday, about 2 miles from my home. It just stayed there. About 5 MY LOCATION did not fix it. It was only after I opened BBMaps (which initially showed that same wrong location) and asked it for my current location, that it moved me home. Then Google maps found me correctly too. And, NO, it said it was 3 meters so it was NOT using cell tower locations to find me. It just thought I was elsewhere.

So, I guess some of this still is still in TEST mode!!!!

Last edited by FF2; 06-20-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
JaredH

Ok so I tested the puck again while driving home for three hours.

I've come up with this:
I'll turn on the puck and it will have both solid bluetooth and satellite searching. I'll open google maps and it either does two things. Either the symbol on the puck will flash the bluetooth meaning I'm connected to my phone but my phone does not flash the blue LED and the satellite signal will not flash nor stay solid...meaning it's not searching or connected to a satellite.

Or it will do the opposite....it will have a solid bluetooth symbol on the puck and no blue led on the phone but the signal to the satellite is flashing, so it has found a satellite. In this instance I somehow to pair the bluetooth again, by going to the puck under bluetooth connection and hit refresh service or what not... but nothing ever works.

My phone is set to the Keychain 2000 GPS under the GPS in options as well.

Sometimes I can get google to work for a split second to pinpoint my location if I flip on the puck and open google maps really fast....but it wont follow me and wont update...it continues to say I'm in the same place even after 10+ min of driving...and it won't refresh after hitting "0" for my location.

Is the puck messed up or what's with it? I can get it to work on Nav4all just fine...
Old 06-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Try this Google Maps version:

HTML Code:
http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v2.2.0/L1/BlackBerry-42/GoogleMaps.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=42&ver=2.2.0
Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
JaredH

Does that differ from the regular version 2.2.0 on google.com/gmm ? I have that version installed already... It just says do you want to replace 2.2.0 with 2.2.0?....

ps, there's not bluetooth gps option on my google maps on the current 2.2.0 version I have of google maps...
Old 06-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

My version always has a menu item for bluetooth GPS. I'm not sure why that option doesn't come up all the time. If you're downloading from the exact same page link then there's no need.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #13
JaredH

I would just go to google.com/gmm from my bberry browser and dl that..I'd if that's the same link or not... I'd assume so

For any 8330 verizon users, those with google maps and a puck, do you have a bluetooth gps option in google maps?? This would be greatly appreciated and if you do what version are you running?

Last edited by JaredH; 06-20-2008 at 10:49 PM..
Old 06-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #14
Dodge DeBoulet

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredH View Post
I would just go to google.com/gmm from my bberry browser and dl that..I'd if that's the same link or not... I'd assume so

For any 8330 verizon users, those with google maps and a puck, do you have a bluetooth gps option in google maps?? This would be greatly appreciated and if you do what version are you running?
I do not have a Bluetooth GPS option in Google Maps 2.2.0 on my Curve. However, when I have my GlobalSat BT338 connected, Google Maps automatically uses it if the GPS Source in Options | Advanced | GPS is set to it.

I have VZNavigator too . . . unfortunately Google Maps doesn't recognize the internal GPS even with Verizon's GPS service enabled. Neither does BBMaps.

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; 06-21-2008 at 06:59 AM..
Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
JaredH

Hmm maybe pucks aren't integrated as nicely as in the past with the new 8330s and Google maps..I guess I'll have to stick with nav4all for now and hope someday they'll make google maps compatible with freedom puck + 8330.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #16
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Hmm maybe pucks aren't integrated as nicely as in the past with the new 8330s and Google maps..I guess I'll have to stick with nav4all for now and hope someday they'll make google maps compatible with freedom puck + 8330.
Why? Google Maps will use whatever GPS Source is specified in Options | Advanced | GPS, as I stated in my post above. Just because GM doesn't have a specific BT GPS option on the menu doesn't mean it won't use an external GPS source . . .
Old 06-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
JaredH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
Why? Google Maps will use whatever GPS Source is specified in Options | Advanced | GPS, as I stated in my post above. Just because GM doesn't have a specific BT GPS option on the menu doesn't mean it won't use an external GPS source . . .
Well obviously it does not work if you set that option because it doesn't work with my Freedom 2000 GPS puck.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:41 AM   #18
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Well obviously it does not work if you set that option because it doesn't work with my Freedom 2000 GPS puck.
That appears to be a problem with your Freedom 2000 GPS then, since my BT338 works fine with Google Maps 2.2.0 on my Verizon Curve.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

If you can get the GPS2000 to show coordinates in the GPS Options then it it's not the GPS unit. It's something in the setup of Google Maps. Could be a permissions issue.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #20
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
If you can get the GPS2000 to show coordinates in the GPS Options then it it's not the GPS unit. It's something in the setup of Google Maps. Could be a permissions issue.
Coordinates via the Blackberry Options | Advanced | GPS screen? That doesn't exist on my Verizon 8330, yet GM works fine with my BT338.
Closed Thread