Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
magicpocket

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile, sort of
Default Can't get t-mobile UK to play ball connecting 8100

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I'm a new blackberry owner... the point came where I could live with one of those old-fashioned phones that just errr... made calls n stuff.

I've been with t-mobile in the UK for about 2 years now and recently took their offer of a decent discount off my tariff in return for not taking an upgraded phone. This was fine, so I went along and bought an unlocked 8100 off Ebay for a reasonable price, and it arrived and seemed great.

The phone is branded vodafone but is unlocked, and I phoned t-mobile using the handset to tell them to make changes to my account and blackberry me up.

As network operators HATE people trading second hand phones I'm used to the usual tactics they employ to make your life miserable, and spoke to a supervisor at the call centre when they refused to connect it.

I was told that as the phone wasn't purchased through t-mobile retail in the UK it simply didn't have the 'settings' to enable the blackberry email through their network. I had reached the end of the road as they couldn't be more specific, and I know little about the mechanics of it all myself.

So, I'm wondering - are they spinning me a line here, or do I now need to try and swap my vodafone handset for a t-mobile one, or are they again going to try and fob me off even then because they've been done out of selling another handset?

Any advice appreciated.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicpocket View Post
Hi, I'm a new blackberry owner... the point came where I could live with one of those old-fashioned phones that just errr... made calls n stuff.

I've been with t-mobile in the UK for about 2 years now and recently took their offer of a decent discount off my tariff in return for not taking an upgraded phone. This was fine, so I went along and bought an unlocked 8100 off Ebay for a reasonable price, and it arrived and seemed great.

The phone is branded vodafone but is unlocked, and I phoned t-mobile using the handset to tell them to make changes to my account and blackberry me up.

As network operators HATE people trading second hand phones I'm used to the usual tactics they employ to make your life miserable, and spoke to a supervisor at the call centre when they refused to connect it.

I was told that as the phone wasn't purchased through t-mobile retail in the UK it simply didn't have the 'settings' to enable the blackberry email through their network. I had reached the end of the road as they couldn't be more specific, and I know little about the mechanics of it all myself.

So, I'm wondering - are they spinning me a line here, or do I now need to try and swap my vodafone handset for a t-mobile one, or are they again going to try and fob me off even then because they've been done out of selling another handset?

Any advice appreciated.
They're talking a load of old codswallop.

Any SIM card provided it's correctly provisioned for the BIS service can be put in any unlocked BB device, and that device should work.

There's are no settings - it's just question of getting the sim on the right plan and then activating the email function via the T-mobile portal - BlackBerry Internet Service

the only issue might be if the operator has blocked non supplied pins from registering on the service, but as you're a paying customer who wants to spend £10 per month more for the BB service then I don't see why they'd want to stop you..
Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
pda
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2

ring again you might get another operator that aint dumb
Old 03-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Get a Blackberry data plan, which you can do online, then log into the BIS page at TMobile and input the PIN and IMEI numbers. Send yourself the service books from that same page and Bob's your uncle!
Closed Thread