Old 06-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Atlantix

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Need a white paper...

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

I am completely new to smart phones, never had one... but thinking about one now, that my AT&T contract is up and can get new phones (family plan).

What I would like is a phone that can work as a stand-alone GPS unit, WITHOUT paying AT&T any service fees... sort of like my laptop does with the USB GPS receiver.

Is there such a thing? BlackBerry? Palm?

Please help my ignorance, educate me.

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I'm on AT&T - there's no separate fee for having GPS features on the phone - and I'm currently using a Pearl 8110 with GPS built in - but I was using an 8100 with Bluetooth pucks - and as much as I love the 8110, I'll be getting a new BlackBerry Bold 9000 once it's out.

What works or doesn't work for you in any given phone is really more about you than the phone. I got my first BlackBerry for free and passed along my old Motorola to one of the kids. I thought, heck with the rest of it, I'll just use it as a phone. Then it hooked me.

I used to think putting e-mail messages in my pocket would make a phone an electronic leash; instead, it freed me up to roam from the desktop without ever being out of touch. I use Outlook and syncing is a joy - I have never, ever made an address book or calendar entry from the phone and all of that stuff stays up to date.

Then there's the software you can get - the navigators and mapping programs and the thing that helps you find where you parked the car and the info lookup programs. Plus there's a ton of stuff built in - a still/video camera, audio/video media player, etc.

With WiFi - which the 8110 doesn't have - you can seamlessly transit from doing voice & data over the cell network todoing it over WiFi.

The 9000-series BlackBerry Bold models have all of that plus a faster processor, a faster 3G data connections, better display resolution, keys with just one letter each, etc. If you can wait for that (nobody's saying, but I'm thinking September - because AT&T intros the second-generation iPhone later in June and I'm betting they twisted AT&T's arm into getting a 90-day window of being newer than BB.

But to your point - this ain't Verizon (not even sure they do it any more) - there's no charge from the carrier associated with having GPS on the phone.

Do, however, opt for the unlimited data plan - and ask your AT&T rep if they're offering a "BlackBerry package" service bundle.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Atlantix

Thanks BMW,

but this is not exactly what I was looking for. You say 'get the xyz data plan'... why would I need that when the GPS is already built in the phone?

I guess it works different... with my laptop, I just bought the GPS receiver, loaded up the software and never had to pay a dime to anyone - what is different with a smart phone and WHY is it different?

(I don't need internet and e-mail on the phone).

Atlantix
Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantix View Post
Thanks BMW,

but this is not exactly what I was looking for. You say 'get the xyz data plan'... why would I need that when the GPS is already built in the phone?

I guess it works different... with my laptop, I just bought the GPS receiver, loaded up the software and never had to pay a dime to anyone - what is different with a smart phone and WHY is it different?

(I don't need internet and e-mail on the phone).

Atlantix
You need a data plan to download the actual maps.
GPS will give you coordinates, but nothing more. You need maps to actual display that GPS data in a usable format.
Since maps don't get stored on the device (like your laptop does) you need a data plan to download them on the fly.

There's one or two mapping applications that do store maps on the SD card for the BlackBerry, but I seriously doubt they're what you're looking for.

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-06-2008 at 03:09 PM..
Old 06-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Atlantix

Aha.

Palm phones work the same way? Those seem to have more sophisticated software and larger storage. Showing my ignorance I guess... have never looked into these things.

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Aha.

Palm phones work the same way? Those seem to have more sophisticated software and larger storage. Showing my ignorance I guess... have never looked into these things.

Thanks,
Never used a Palm. Probably never will.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
The storage capacity is no longer the problem (you can easily add 2 or 4 GB via a MicroSD-card), but for some reason there just isn't any navigation software for the BlackBerry out there that doesn't use online maps. Technically it should be possible, but it's not done.
Closed Thread