Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT uhhhh Cingular uhhh I mean ATT
Default Wayfinder 7 or crack smoking?

Please Login to Remove!

I think this has been touched on before, but I still cant find an answer.

Does Wayfinder 7 really exist?

Their website shows that it is around, but all links lead to version 6. Perhaps it is a U.S. versus Europe thing. I want the U.S. version.

Anywho. I love Telenav and probably won't stop using it for Wayfinder. I would just like to try Wayfinder's 7 new features.

?was it a cat i saw?
Old 05-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

If you go to wayfinder's site, you'll see that version 7 is only available for a few select devices.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

I have been told June 07.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Muchas Gracias

?was it a cat i saw?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Put the pipe (antenna: broken off form car in parking lot) down now
Old 05-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
If you go to wayfinder's site, you'll see that version 7 is only available for a few select devices.
Ohhh...and by the way...their website is AWSOME!!! wink wink nudge nudge

But thanks...

?was it a cat i saw?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Pentarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Wayfinder 7 is now out for the Blackberry 8800 device.

Installed on mine... Just waiting for the activation code.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Apparently, I saw someone post that the v6 keycode works in v7 (by design, not oversight), but may depend on when you bought v6.

I purchased v7 from canadagps.com, got the key emailed to me by them, but I installed v6 and am running it until I get v7 (supposedly being shipped to me). I will have to double check my email to see if I am running a v7 keycode in v6 (opposite from my first paragraph).

Update: since I have a BB, I don't have to run home to check emails - HAH! My email reciept shows v7 purchased, but emailed key says "... thank you for purchasing Wayfinder Navigator 6...", "... your activation key is...". But the subjectline of that same email shows "Activation Key of Wayfinder Navigator 7".

Confused? Me too.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Update to my above post:

Well, I feel a bit silly but after posting the above, I went back to the Wayfarer site and redownloaded the application. The filename was different; so I uninstalled Nav 6 and installed the new one.

It is indeed Nav 7. The key I got for Nav 7 does work in Nav 6 (which wasn't being asked by the OP, but suggests that the key for Nav 6 might work in Nav 7). Worth a try there, Pentarus -- although you didn't specifically mention if you had a Nav 6 key from previous.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
Pentarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
Update to my above post:

Well, I feel a bit silly but after posting the above, I went back to the Wayfarer site and redownloaded the application. The filename was different; so I uninstalled Nav 6 and installed the new one.

It is indeed Nav 7. The key I got for Nav 7 does work in Nav 6 (which wasn't being asked by the OP, but suggests that the key for Nav 6 might work in Nav 7). Worth a try there, Pentarus -- although you didn't specifically mention if you had a Nav 6 key from previous.
Nope... I can tell you that the key from version 6 doesn't work with version 7... Tried that... And I may actually have messed things up since after installing Wayfinder 7 and entering the correct activation key (I received it minutes after my posts), I was and still am unable to view any maps... Working with support (which is quite good by the way) to fix this up..
Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #11
creepy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Where did you get Wayfinder 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentarus View Post
Wayfinder 7 is now out for the Blackberry 8800 device.

Installed on mine... Just waiting for the activation code.
I've been waiting to get this for my 8100. I just visited the Wayfinder site and it still shows only version 6 for all Blackberry devices.

Where did you get your copy?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

I know you were addressing Pentarus, but I got mine tonight from the Wayfinder site today:

Wayfinder.com / Products / Free trial
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #13
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

I've had a chance to play with WN6 and WN7 and thought I'd give a short comparison in case anyone is interested.

Two disclaimers: 1) I have limited experience with GPS's in general and smartphones/bb's in particular (But I do have a stand-alone Novogo [forgot the model number], and a Holux GPSlim 240 paired with a Nokia E62). Also, I don't have a car so my playing with WN6/7 consisted of just riding on the bus and watching the map. That is, I didn't navigate anywhere from Point A to Point B. So this post will have a rather narrow scope.

That said, keeping in mind I was just mostly in map mode, there is a significant difference in WN6 and WN7.

With WN6, map drawing was slow and drawn in quadrants (best I can describe it), it was visibly painful watching it draw. In addition, it didn't have a "follow me" mode (or I couldn't find out to do it). That is, the little arrow representing you might start off in the bottom middle of the screen but when you started moving, the map would stay static and the arrow would move. When the arrow got to the edge of the map, the map would redraw, and so on. If I recall correctly, the map would not turn as you did, so to see where you were headed, one might have to turn the BB sideways/upside-down, etc. Again, note that I was just in map mode, not navigation mode so navigating from Point A to Point B might be different. Lastly, when the bus stopped, my position would seemingly "drift", in that often on the map I'd be facing an odd direction, not to mention inside of a building more often than not. It was also a tad slow in following me, and if it works like that in navigation mode, I'd guess it'd be easy to miss turns.

Now, as for WN7: the screen draws were much much faster. The maps look "different"; and although I couldn't tell you the difference between a bitmap or vector, etc., all I can tell you is that they changed how the maps are drawn. This resulted in faster draws which was all that concerned me (whether it uses more or less data or not, I don't know). While the maps seemed less "pretty" in WN7 than WN6, I'll trade speed for looks any day. In addition, while in map mode, there is a "follow me" mode which is more what I'm used to: that is, your position is at the bottom center, and your position stays there -- and as turns are made, the map rotates so that your pointer is always facing up. Again, perhaps WN6 does this too in navigation mode but I didn't use WN6 or WN7 in this mode so I couldn't tell you. I didn't notice any significant "drift" (as described above) while stopped, and more importantly perhaps to me at least is that the map draws seemed to keep up.

Again, I only played with both versions in a very narrow scope. Navigating using the phone and software is undoubtedly the most important use of having a GPS enabled phone; however what little I did see *might* be an indicator of performance in navigation mode. And to reiterate a bit, because I don't have a car and didn't want to navigate from Point A to Point B and geek out bus passengers, I didn't really play with that.

I haven't tried TeleNav to do a comparison with (again, I really need a GPS like a hole in the head, since I don't have a car), but hopefully at least this brief comparison of WN6 vs. WN7 might help someone decide. For me, I'm happy at the improved performance in WN7. When I first played with WN6 (I had bought WN7 before it was released, but they gave me a key that was useable on the downloadable WN6), I had just thought that "this was the way of GPS software for the BB where data is transmitted instead of being on a storage card" and that I'd have to live with it (i.e. it didn't leave a good impression and I thought all GPS for the BB wasn't going to be much different).
Old 06-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #14
creepy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
I know you were addressing Pentarus, but I got mine tonight from the Wayfinder site today:

Wayfinder.com / Products / Free trial
Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, when I tried to select the 8100, the link they provided did not work. I got a file not found on server message. I guess I'll have to wait until they release a version for the Pearl.

Last edited by creepy; 06-20-2007 at 06:35 PM..
Old 06-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, when I tried to select the 8100, the link they provided did not work. I got a file not found on server message. I guess I'll have to wait until they release a version for the Pearl.
Blackberry Pearl (R) 8100 is listed, rather than Blackberry 8100 so it is down with the P's kinda.

Go back, I say! ;)

Edit: oh, you got the link but was invalid, I see now. Odd, let me try dl'ing it.

Edit: you're right. I got an apache error on the 8100. Tried again with 8800 instead and link worked. Bummer...

Last edited by Klotar; 06-20-2007 at 06:57 PM..
Old 06-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
narensr

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Thumbs up I installed WayFinder7 in BB 8800 Cingular... working fentastic

Hi,
i upgraded my WayFinder6 to WayFinder7 for BlackBerry 8800 , there is a link to download WF 7 in www.mywayfinder.com. Don't install WF7 before deleteing WF6 completly from your BB. it will screwup your modules. You can't delete older version after installing newer version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB-WF7.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	8474  
Closed Thread