Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
arej00dazed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Recomendations for a GPS puck and software

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8130 (4.3OS) on the verizon network. We're going on vaca to N.C. this summer and Im wanting to get a GPS to use. I've read a lil bout GPS pucks and software, been thats been months ago. So, I have a few questions:

-whats the best (for the price) bluetooth GPS puck I can get. I don't want to spend over $70-100 if possible.
-whats the best software to use? VZ nav, google maps?
-does the software of points of interest features? as in if I wanted to find a resturant, hotel, gas station, etc around the area Im at.
-does it have voice navigation?

I'm tryn to get this done as cheap as possible, but I dont mind paying a lil extra for reliability and good service. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
arieltf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by arej00dazed View Post
I have an 8130 (4.3OS) on the verizon network. We're going on vaca to N.C. this summer and Im wanting to get a GPS to use. I've read a lil bout GPS pucks and software, been thats been months ago. So, I have a few questions:

-whats the best (for the price) bluetooth GPS puck I can get. I don't want to spend over $70-100 if possible.
-does the software of points of interest features? as in if I wanted to find a resturant, hotel, gas station, etc around the area Im at.

I'm tryn to get this done as cheap as possible, but I dont mind paying a lil extra for reliability and good service. Thanks for your help!
If you use VZ Navigator, then you don't need to buy a puck. It will use the built-in GPS. But, you will need to pay $9.99/month to use it.

VZ Navigator can show you local restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc. I think it also shows points of interest (I don't use that feature). It also has voice navigation.

Using VZ Navigator might be the cheapest way. You might be able to cancel the subscription after your vacation, so the total cost would be $9.99. I say "might" because there could be an additional fee for canceling early.

Yes, it is reliable. The only time it doesn't properly navigate is when you are on new roads.

--Ariel

Last edited by arieltf; 04-03-2009 at 02:20 PM..
Old 04-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Did you read the sticky at the top of the thread?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
neelsonwheels
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

You can use a puck and VZnav for supposedly no charge. However, I have difficulty makin a reliable connection over bluetooth with my puck and phone (I think it might be more my phone's problem, 8830, rather than the puck as when I do connect its great).

You can get the freedom keychain puck for about $70ish.

Good luck,
jason
Old 04-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:

i have a bluetooth puck that i used with telenav when i had an 8100....i no longer use it, if you're interested in it, pm me....

it's a globalsat puck, but with the telenav brand name on it...
i'm not 100 % sure, but i think these work as generic devices, connecting to the phone via bluetooth. whether you use telenav (that's what i use) or garmin mobile or bb maps i think it will still show up in the app as a GPS device and you'll have nav.

but make sure first....

Last edited by zero7404; 04-04-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Check out the All Known GPS Apps thread. Any question of "best" is subjective no matter what you're asking about. Try several apps out to find out what is best for you.

Quote:
Depends on the specific app you're looking at.

Quote:
Depends on the specific app you're looking at.

Keep that in mind when looking around.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-04-2009 at 10:22 PM..
Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
arej00dazed
Thumbs Must Hurt

well what specific app should I be looking at? No I dont want to use Verizons service. $3/24hr or $10 a mon isnt my idea of cheap. My idea of cheap is paying for it once and using it as often as I need. Could be once a month, could be once a week. I'll check the sticky, just would be nice to have questions answered though without browsing thru pages upon pages of posts. Time is a luxury I don't have (yeah I know, don't we all). Im just now getting a chance to check this thread.

Or maybe I'll just ignore all of this and spring for an actual GPS device, although I'd rather not if I can get it to work on something I already have for a fraction of the price.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: verizon

I have the Freedom 2000 keychain puck. I like it but is has one weakness - It does not provide some "signal" that some of the gps software require for continuous communication - probably because it will turn off automatically if it loses contact. But there are workarounds for that feature. So, for instance, sometimes Googlemaps will not find the gps.

As mentioned above, there are so many personal preferences in software. You will read that folks love the Garmin ($99 for life of device - altho I just got an email that mentioned a monthly fee - so maybe Garmin is changing their offering) and others find it weak for their needs. Amazegps is free but some folks really don't like it. Verizon's, I find quirkly compared to my standalone Tomtom - just a user-interface issue for me.

BBmaps and Google do NOT provide voice navigation but are FREE. They can find things POI near you or direct you with written directions.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
arej00dazed
Thumbs Must Hurt

THANK YOU! thats exactly the type of reply I've been looking for! I was hoping for a seamless, problemless combo, but kinda sounds like that doesnt truely exist. If I have to play around with settings, etc to get it to work, then I don't want it. Don't want to be on the road and *bleep* no more GPS cause something is bein a PITA. I've had enough problems with my PC's over the months and really tired of messing with it all. So maybe my best and safest solution is to just buy a stand alone GPS unit.

Ive been wanting to upgrade my OS since before Xmas, just never get the chance too or don't feel like having to **** with it to get everything working seamless again.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
arej00dazed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wheres the best place to buy the freedom 2000 keychain? Looks like it averages up to $80.

EDIT: one other question. Say I were to use google maps (or any other software) and the freedom 2000. If I lost cell coverage (driving through a dead zone), will the software still work or does it also need cell coverage to display the maps? This would kinda suck in the mountains of WV where cell signal typically blows anyhow. If you have every been down thar and saw a fat man in a kiddy pool staring you down.....not a good time to be lost! And yes I have seen said fat man last time I went camping in WV.

Last edited by arej00dazed; 04-08-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: verizon

Ah, you have brought up an issue I did fail to address but that has been discussed before - NO DATA.

That really depends on the software. MOST of the Voice navigation systems do rely on data to show you the map and give you a route or correct your route. So DEAD-ZONES (I do like those commercials) can be a real issue.

One fine point I have no idea about and only speculate is does the data need to be computed and routed on some server with the full maps and then sent back or is the route computation occurring on the BB? I know the Verizon Navigator takes a bit too long in urban streets if you miss a turn it may not know for a block or two and then calcs another block or two to get you back on route. My standalone is very fast but then, unless you update your maps however often, you will have older maps - still work (unless they've removed that bridge) so in growing locales, you may be at a loss. But even companies that produce new maps are always lagging behind reality - it is not easy mapping, compiling and coding this stuff on a quick, regular basis. Go to any standalone gps forum and read about "old" maps and/or bad or inferior routing. Nothing is perfect.

No Data: There are a few alternatives but they only provide mapping and no routing - Trekbuddy and MobileGmaps (NOT google) both allow you to download maps in advance (you need to know where you will be) and compile them and then use them. With a standalone gps (bluetooth) they get the satellite data and can show you your position and with maps, it would be like a paper map - you can see where you are and depending on the map detail you loaded what are the nearby roads.

That's for driving. There are also programs for geocaching (game for searching for places/objects) and just recording your route (like bread crumbs) and/or sharing it with someone.

I would say that my tomtom (now at least a year old) is still better in most respects than anything available on the BB. But the BB is always with me whereas tomtom is reserved for longer distant travel or when I'm going to an unfamiliar area. But BB browses the web and can dial or route to a place I find serendipitously. Tradeoffs..........
Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
arej00dazed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks. I kinda knew the answer already but wanted confirmation. And I know about older maps, TRUST ME! I borrow my parents ol garmin street pilot and the map is at least 4yrs old if not older. Down on 33 in Lancaster,OH they added a bypass and that REALLY messed me up! etc etc etc. I'm gonna try the BB route til I can afford a stand alone unit. We're goin to NC for vaca, so I'll be sure to print directions also.
Closed Thread