Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
john.mccoy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Bold and memory usage

Please Login to Remove!

Is there an easy way to see what apps are eating my memory?

Thank You
Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

click menu> switch application. That shows you the apps running the background. Close them off. Note that browser, bbm, messages, home, visual voicemail (if you have it), and phone will stay running in the background.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
john.mccoy

Thanks but I was wondering if there was a way to see how much memory an app is using like task manager in windows. My memory is draining and not sure why.

Thank You
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
miamirulz29

There is no kind of task manager for the bold. That is the closest thing you will get to a task manager. As for the memory problem, close the apps running in the background, clear the browser cache, do a battery pull, and upgrade your to the latest one.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
john.mccoy

Thanks, I am running the latest AT&T build 4.6.0.297 and have very little running in the background. I just cleared the browser cache. I did a battery pull and will see what happens. I wonder if anyone else is having issues.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
miamirulz29

Also, go to options > memory > how much application memory is there?

P.S. You will need to wait like 10-15 min after the battery so that the blackberry loads everything cause right after the battery pull, the bold is slow, so you will need to wait.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
john.mccoy

Thanks, the memory drops pretty good during the day. I do a scheduled reboot at 6:00 am and by 2:00 PM it is below 20 MB and needs rebooted again and then about 8 hours later. I am thinking of backing up my device and reinstalling the OS clean..not sure what else to do.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Ketchums

Model: Bold

Wirelessly posted

Same issue here!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
john.mccoy

Ketchums, what OS are you running?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
Ketchums

Wirelessly posted

Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
miamirulz29

Try reinstalling the os.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #12
gbsn

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamirulz29 View Post
There is no kind of task manager for the bold. That is the closest thing you will get to a task manager. As for the memory problem, close the apps running in the background, clear the browser cache, do a battery pull, and upgrade your to the latest one.
Wrong, the closes thing to a task manager is the "processes engineering screen" which can be accessed by enabling the engineering screen. You can kill any running nonsystem process (apps) from there and see their CPU usage. There are also some options such as total allocs, heap size, heap high water that might indicate amount of memory but im not sure how to read these and link them to current memory usage. I think either the heap size or the total allocs shows the amount of memory usage per app, not sure tho.

edit: it kinda relates to it, try checking which of the apps have the most "total allocs" try killing the process and running the thorough garbage collector from the flash usage or ram usage escreen. I killed 3 top "total allocs" processes and ran the thorough GC and freed up 5mb of flash O_o (they had been running all day), they seem to get bigger with time.

The 3 third party apps i killed with most total allocs were, bbm 5.0.0.33, berryweather and windows live messenger.

Last edited by gbsn; 10-16-2009 at 01:04 AM..
Old 10-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
Ketchums

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsn View Post
Wrong, the closes thing to a task manager is the "processes engineering screen" which can be accessed by enabling the engineering screen..
How do you enable the engineering screen?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #14
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

not easily.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
john.mccoy

I am running .297 also and will call AT&T now and see if it is a known issue. Thanks
Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
miamirulz29

Quote:
Wrong, the closes thing to a task manager is the "processes engineering screen" which can be accessed by enabling the engineering screen. You can kill any running nonsystem process (apps) from there and see their CPU usage. There are also some options such as total allocs, heap size, heap high water that might indicate amount of memory but im not sure how to read these and link them to current memory usage. I think either the heap size or the total allocs shows the amount of memory usage per app, not sure tho.

edit: it kinda relates to it, try checking which of the apps have the most "total allocs" try killing the process and running the thorough garbage collector from the flash usage or ram usage escreen. I killed 3 top "total allocs" processes and ran the thorough GC and freed up 5mb of flash O_o (they had been running all day), they seem to get bigger with time.

The 3 third party apps i killed with most total allocs were, bbm 5.0.0.33, berryweather and windows live messenger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchums View Post
How do you enable the engineering screen?
It is far too difficult to go to the engineering screen. Plus there is a risk of messing up your phone for good. Not worth the risk. Nobody should go in there if they don't know what they are doing.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
gbsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
not easily.
ht tp://absolous.no-ip.com/projects/escreen/index.php, remove space in http

easily, plug info, press generate and there you go, your code to the escreen

But as miamirulz said, there is a risk of damaging the phone (brick/nuking) if you start messing with things you dont know about.

Last edited by gbsn; 10-17-2009 at 05:06 PM..
Old 10-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #18
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

hence the "not easily" part.
as far as im aware, enabling a screen that isnt enabled is considered a hack, which like taking your BB apart invalidates warranty.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
gbsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
hence the "not easily" part.
as far as im aware, enabling a screen that isnt enabled is considered a hack, which like taking your BB apart invalidates warranty.
Enabling it is easy, which is what he asked, working with it may be not. Its just as bad as installing a non officially released OS by RIM (5.0), which actually has led to the take down of several websites hosting these files or just the removal of the files. Just as bad as installing leaked stuff. "Note: This generator is neither sanctioned nor endorsed by Research In Motion." Neither of both. That site has been alive for quite some time, april was the first time i used the escreen. Not hacking per se, but enabling advanced functions.

Btw, taking apart the blackberry invalidates the warranty only if you break the stickers. Its not illegal to do so, they just use that method so they dont have to deal with replacements from people that damaged the cellphone because they messed with other things they were not supposed to. There is more risk in damaging the cell phone from taking it apart than by enabling the escreen.

Last edited by gbsn; 10-17-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Old 10-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #20
miamirulz29

Quote:
Enabling it is easy, which is what he asked, working with it may be not. Its just as bad as installing a non officially released OS by RIM (5.0), which actually has led to the take down of several websites hosting these files or just the removal of the files. Just as bad as installing leaked stuff. "Note: This generator is neither sanctioned nor endorsed by Research In Motion." Neither of both. That site has been alive for quite some time, april was the first time i used the escreen. Not hacking per se, but enabling advanced functions.

Btw, taking apart the blackberry invalidates the warranty only if you break the stickers. Its not illegal to do so, they just use that method so they dont have to deal with replacements from people that damaged the cellphone because they messed with other things they were not supposed to. There is more risk in damaging the cell phone from taking it apart than by enabling the escreen.
I would have to disagree with that. I think there is a higher risk in damagin the bold from the escreen rather than taking the bold apart. When you take something apart, there is a lot of common sense involved, everything is set in stone. However, in the escreen, you may change something with out even knowing it and then it might damage the phone. Also, you can't use common sense in the escreen because it difficult to comprehend what is stated in there.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Closed Thread