Old 05-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
garycutri
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Telstra
Default Exchange 2007 BES Install Guide - 100% Fully Functional

Please Login to Remove!

Install BES 4.1.3 or higher in an Exchange 2007 Environment
By Gary Cutri (BlackBerry Forums - Asia Pacific)
Version 1.0

Note: In an Exchange 2007 environment BlackBerry Enterprise Server cannot be installed on the mail server as the BES software is not 64BIT compatible.

1. On the server you have selected to load BlackBerry Enterprise Server download and install “Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1” which is available from the Microsoft Download site (a.k.a ExchangeMapiCdo.EXE). This will install the CDO and MAPI DLLs which are no longer available in Exchange 2007. This replaces the previous requirement to have Exchange System Manager installed as in Exchange 2000 or 2003 environments. The current download link is as follows:
Download details: Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1

2. Log onto your Exchange Server using an account which has permissions to create an account. Open the Exchange Management Console and create a service account called BESadmin.

3. From the Exchange 2007 server open the “Exchange Management Shell” which can be found in the Exchange program group. From EMS run the following two scripts to set the delegate control and required permissions:

get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-exchangeadministrator BESAdmin –role ViewOnlyAdmin

get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-adpermission –user BESAdmin –accessrights GenericRead, GenericWrite, ExtendedRight –extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

4. Open Active Directory and from the View menu select "Advanced Features". Then go to each user that will be added to the BES and open their properties, go to the security tab and add the user BESadmin and add the security permission "Send As". (This will overcome some MS patches that prevent BES sending emails). Methods are available to add BESadmin "Send As" rights to all users if required but this method ensures only the required users have permissions added.

5. Make BESadmin a local Administrator of the server where you will be installing the BES software. This is done by right mouse clicking my computer and selecting “Manage”. From Computer Management expand “Local Users & Groups” and select Groups. From Groups double click “Administrators” and add BESadmin.

6. On the BES server go to “Administrative Tools” and open "Local Security Policy" and then expand the "Local Policies" and "User Right Assignment". You need to add BESadmin to "Log on Locally" and log on as Service".

7. Log onto the server where you will be installing the BES using the BESadmin account. Extract the install files and run the install file. Normally you select "BlackBerry Enterprise Server" as the install option once prompted as most sites don't use the MDS services for custom applications (MDS is a much heavier install). Follow the prompts of the install and the server will be required to restart half way through the install. Restart the server and log back on as BESadmin and the install will continue. (Make sure the Connect Test works and the SRP ID etc is validated during the install)

8. After the install is finished open BlackBerry Manager, an error will appear about MAPI client which you can just hit OK. The MAPI setting windows will appear so just add the server name back in and select "Check Name", if it resolves just hit OK and the manager will start.

9. Within Blackberry Manager click on Blackberry Domain in the left column and then the users SERVERS tab in the centre section, select your server within this tab and view the properties below. Ensure that "SRP Status:" is Connected (This can take a few minutes the first time so refresh the screen a few times). Once your status is connected you can start adding users.

10. Within Blackberry Manager click on your server name (The blue server) in the left column and then the users TAB in the centre section, just add a user and the click on that user. You will see all the users’ properties and a drop down menu called "Service Access” and select “Set Activation Password” and set a password of “a” for example.

11. Turn on you BlackBerry device and ensure Wireless is enabled. Go into “Options/Settings” and “Time & Date” and set the correct zone and time etc. Then from the home screen go to enterprise activation and enter the users email address and enter the password that was set in step 10. Press the track wheel and select Activate. Within a minute you should get data returned which indicates the process is functioning correct.

Extra Details:

Send As Permissions
http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/f...t-message.html

Download and install the MAPI and CDO Clients that are missing when updating to Microsoft Exchange 2007
http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/f...ge-2007-a.html

Assigning permissions for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server administration account

-----

Updated 12/18/2007 - hdawg calendar one-way sync problem / fix

Last edited by hdawg; 12-18-2007 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: syntax error in exchange 07 script
Old 05-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
herbm

Model: 7230
Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks for the great guide Gary...
What about an existing 4.1.3 install..is it possible to get that to work with 2007?
How much different is that compared to your new install?
Or is new the preferred way to go?
thanks
Old 05-23-2007, 02:57 AM   #3
garycutri

In an existing environment you need to do the following:

1. Install & setup exchange 2007

2. Migrate users to your Exchange 2007 server

3. Ensure you are running BES 4.1.3 or higher

4. From the Exchange 2007 server open the xxx8220;Exchange Management Shellxxx8221; which can be found in the Exchange program group. From EMS run the following two scripts to set the delegate control and required permissions:

get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-exchangeadministrator BESAdmin xxx8211;role ViewOnlyAdmin

get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-adpermission xxx8211;user BESAdmin xxx8211;accessrights ExtendedRight xxx8211;extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

5. Stop all the Blackberry services and remove ESM for Exchange 2003 from your BES server. Or unregister mapi32.dll and cdo.dll if the files had just been registered manually without installing ESM.

Note: This is for standalone BES servers ONLY, do not try this on installations running on existing Exchange servers)

6. Download and install Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 on your BES server.

7. Restart your BES server.

Last edited by garycutri; 05-25-2007 at 09:27 AM..
Old 05-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
rliebsch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

does this mean you can't support 2003 and 2007 with the same BES server?
Confused by the "standalone" comment.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
garycutri

standalone = A BlackBerry server installed on its own server. As many people install BES on a mail server I needed to point out they shouldn't delete the mapi & cdo files (It was a “pointing out the obvious” comment).

Re: "does this mean you can't support 2003 and 2007 with the same BES server"

If you have Exchange Systems Manager 2003 installed on the BES server it will fully support Exchange 2003 but won't fully sync with Exchange 2007 (e.g. Calendar sync doesn't work). If you remove Exchange System Manager and install "MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1" it will fully support Exchange 2007 but will have sync issues with Exchange 2003 (e.g. Calendar sync doesn't work).
Old 05-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
rliebsch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Ouch. So migrating to 2007 is an all or nothing deal....

kind of a deal breaker. Oh well. Maybe soon.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
iamsyu

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Default something wrong

I install the BES express for my exchange 2007. After I add a new user. The status of user is always initializing. Please tell me what else should I do.
And there is no wireless in my company. Does it necessarily for BES? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:10 AM   #8
garycutri

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsyu View Post
I install the BES express for my exchange 2007. After I add a new user. The status of user is always initializing. Please tell me what else should I do.
And there is no wireless in my company. Does it necessarily for BES? Thanks.
The status of "initializing" is just a default message that is displayed when a user is added to a BES. Just consider that message to mean "Ready to be activated".
So if you want to activate a user/device you have two options which are "Wireless" and "Cabled" activations.

To perform a wireless activation right mouse click the username in BlackBerry Manager and select "Set Activation Password", then set the password and select OK to continue. Then from the Blackberry handheld go to the Enterprise Activation icon (if you can’t see it go to OPTIONS>Advanced Options>Enterprise Activation) and enter the users email address and the activation password you just set on the server. Once you enter the info just press the track wheel/ball and select activate from the menu.

To perform a cabled activation just connect your Blackberry device to the Blackberry server via the supplied USB cable. Once connected open Blackberry Manager and right mouse click on the user and select "Assign Device", then select the device on the list and press OK. To view the progress of the activation on the device go to OPTIONS>Advanced Options>Enterprise Activation and you will see the % complete with details. Do not disconnect the device until you see the “Activation Complete” message.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
herbm

Model: 7230

Thanks for the great info!!!
Will give this a shot in afew weeks!!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

awesome post Gary.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
Slick_207

Model: Pearl
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycutri View Post
Install BES 4.1.3 or higher in an Exchange 2007 Environment
By Gary Cutri (BlackBerry Forums - Asia Pacific)
Version 1.0

Note: In an Exchange 2007 environment BlackBerry Enterprise Server cannot be installed on the mail server as the BES software is not 64BIT compatible.
Great post Gary.

Question on 64-Bit stuff --
Does this apply to the installed OS only?
in other words, if I have 64bit XEON processors but install Server 2003 32 bit OS, will this work?

BES support confused me - once they told me I could install BES on my 2007 server (which doesn't work), another time they told me the processors had to be 32 bit, so now I need help..
Old 06-05-2007, 04:09 AM   #12
iamsyu

I assign a blackberry to a user. But it comes a error message(attachment). Anyone who can help me. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb.JPG (15.6 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #13
sems
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
standalone = A BlackBerry server installed on its own server. As many people install BES on a mail server I needed to point out they shouldn't delete the mapi & cdo files (It was a “pointing out the obvious” comment).

Re: "does this mean you can't support 2003 and 2007 with the same BES server"

If you have Exchange Systems Manager 2003 installed on the BES server it will fully support Exchange 2003 but won't fully sync with Exchange 2007 (e.g. Calendar sync doesn't work). If you remove Exchange System Manager and install "MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1" it will fully support Exchange 2007 but will have sync issues with Exchange 2003 (e.g. Calendar sync doesn't work).
On our system we had initially Exchange 2003, then we installed Exchange 2007, and our BES install was working fine with calendar sync. Migrated users were running it fine, users staying on Exchange 2003 were fine. The BES server was running with ESM. Can you elaborate on why calendar sync was not supposed to work for Exchange 2007 users?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #14
garycutri

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsyu View Post
I assign a blackberry to a user. But it comes a error message(attachment). Anyone who can help me. Thanks.
This issue is related to the BESadmin permissions not being set correctly.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #15
garycutri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_207 View Post
Great post Gary.

Question on 64-Bit stuff --
Does this apply to the installed OS only?
in other words, if I have 64bit XEON processors but install Server 2003 32 bit OS, will this work?

BES support confused me - once they told me I could install BES on my 2007 server (which doesn't work), another time they told me the processors had to be 32 bit, so now I need help..

To run Exchange 2007 it has to be installed on Microsoft 2003 Server 64-Bit. Also BES DOES NOT run on 64-Bit platforms.

Last edited by garycutri; 06-05-2007 at 11:57 PM..
Old 06-05-2007, 11:55 PM   #16
garycutri

Quote:
Originally Posted by sems View Post
On our system we had initially Exchange 2003, then we installed Exchange 2007, and our BES install was working fine with calendar sync. Migrated users were running it fine, users staying on Exchange 2003 were fine. The BES server was running with ESM. Can you elaborate on why calendar sync was not supposed to work for Exchange 2007 users?

The issue was caused by a variation (i.e. different file version) in the cdo.dll file.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #17
sems
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The issue was caused by a variation (i.e. different file version) in the cdo.dll file.
If this is the reason, then how would you explain our system working fine?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #18
garycutri

Quote:
Originally Posted by sems View Post
If this is the reason, then how would you explain our system working fine?
Send a calendar invite to a BlackBerry user on the Exchange 2003 server and Exchange 2007 and tell me if they both get the invite on their handheld.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:48 AM   #19
sems
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Send a calendar invite to a BlackBerry user on the Exchange 2003 server and Exchange 2007 and tell me if they both get the invite on their handheld.
It turns out our Exchange 2003 box is shutdown as of last week. :(, so I can't test it right now. But when we first started the migration, I remember doing lots of tests, including calendar, as there were reported issues by RIM (this was before 4.1.3, we were running 4.1.2). And everything was fine.

I tested the calendar request to a user on Exchange 2007 and it is fine, the request came in to the handheld, I accepted it on the handheld and on the handheld and desktop I can see the meeting in the Calendar. And like I said on BES we are running ESM 2003, not CDO & MAPI clients for 2007. I wonder with a fix/patch the CDO and MAPI dll versions changed. CDO.dll is 6.5.7638.2 and MAPI.dll is 1.0.2536.0.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #20
iamsyu

Quote:
This issue is related to the BESadmin permissions not being set correctly.
I reset the send as permissions for BESadmin. Now I can assign a device to the user. And the status of user is running. But there are two errors.
1.IT Policy status is Error. I tried to resend IT policy. Useless.
2.Last Result: Failed forwarding message. And here is the error infomation in the log file.
"Forwarding internal data to device, contentType=CMIME, routing=S23380945, device=23D54BBF, size=624, cmd=0x3, ack=0, TransactionId=-966305987, intTag=214, Tag=211, Submit=1
Packet returned as FAILED - could not be delivered to device, Tag=211"
Closed Thread