Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #21
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: 241EBD8C
Carrier: A&T

Please Login to Remove!

If one of those tools would be a lightweight version of your main product for us low # of blackberry orgs that'd be cool. <hint> <hint> <hint>
Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #22
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarienA
If one of those tools would be a lightweight version of your main product for us low # of blackberry orgs that'd be cool. <hint> <hint> <hint>
I haven't even had a chance to look at the prods yet so it may be there but a product which manages BBs AND Windows Mobile devices at the same time is what we will eventually need and have to buy. Major hint
Old 03-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #23
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

Ok, so I fire this up but don't see anything. At the top the only field filled in is the sql server name. Not sure what I did wrong.

Serenity now!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #24
JPenrose
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: TELUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalstu
Ok, so I fire this up but don't see anything. At the top the only field filled in is the sql server name. Not sure what I did wrong.

Serenity now!
In my case (using MSDE for BES) I had to replace an Apache2 DLL file in order to get the data to display.

Look at the top of this thread for an FAQ from jsplit (the OP) for some possible reasons and fixes.

-J
Old 03-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #25
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

I to had to replace that DLL. That enabled me to actually fire up the application. I just can't seem to get it to display anything.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #26
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
I to had to replace that DLL. That enabled me to actually fire up the application. I just can't seem to get it to display anything.
Email Jon at Boxtone, he loves getting emails from us Seriously, the guy really does sleep less than me.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #27
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2432499F
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
First - Are you running windows or sql authentication on your sql server?
Second - can you verify that your "Apache2" windows service is running with "LOG ON AS" permissions and not as the "Local System"?
Boxtone
http://www.boxtone.com
Old 03-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #28
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplit
First - Are you running windows or sql authentication on your sql server?
Second - can you verify that your "Apache2" windows service is running with "LOG ON AS" permissions and not as the "Local System"?
Ok, disregard my email since you replied here.

Windows authentication and Log on as.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #29
totalstu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Eventhough I mentioned this in an email I thought I'd post it here incase others have the same issue.

Ok, so I try to configure this again. I get to the field "sql server host". It is asking for the hostname/instance. The field underneath is asking for the database. I change the database field to reflect the name of our BB database. For the hostname/instance I enter the name of server for the hostname. If I leave the instance blank I have the same issue. If I use the database name for the instance I get a "can't connect" error.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #30
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Two new entries to the FAQ
Boxtone
Old 03-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #31
BirdmanSTX

Model: admin
Carrier: Multiple

Quick question. Running 1.0.1.7, and when I look at the pie and bar charts, it says I have -7 (yes negative 7) devices with No Helper. How is that possible?

BESAdmin, 4.1.3, 500+ users
Old 03-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #32
Gotrek

Model: none
Carrier: Rogers

What is the proper way to increase timeout on this application? I edited all the timeout fields in the php.ini to 600seconds / 10mins Doesn't seem to help.

My reason I'd like to run boxtone over a VPN connection on Highspeed at home. DSTquery takes about 6 mins to run I was hopping boxtone would run as well taking around the same amount of time however it seems to time out. (loads the Bes server, user device, patch download etc bar but no results.)
Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #33
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotrek
What is the proper way to increase timeout on this application? I edited all the timeout fields in the php.ini to 600seconds / 10mins Doesn't seem to help.

My reason I'd like to run boxtone over a VPN connection on Highspeed at home. DSTquery takes about 6 mins to run I was hopping boxtone would run as well taking around the same amount of time however it seems to time out. (loads the Bes server, user device, patch download etc bar but no results.)
Shoot me an email and I'll get you an updated version which cache's the data and responds a lot quicker. It allows you to only "check for status changes" one BES at a time which significantly speeds up the page load time.

Thanks

Jon
Boxtone
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #34
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdmanSTX
Quick question. Running 1.0.1.7, and when I look at the pie and bar charts, it says I have -7 (yes negative 7) devices with No Helper. How is that possible?
Did you by chance push out the patch to all your devices via a software configuration? Do you have 8800's?

I've seen this happen before where the helper is pushed out to devices which are NOT supposed to get the patch such as 8800's. This will cause the negative number in the version you mentioned of the DST Expert.

Jon
Boxtone
Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #35
bird95134

Model: 8700c
Default Only displaying about 120 users, can I display more?

First, I can not agree more with the comments about this whole process and patch releases with RIM -- terrible (Good may get a few more licenses...).

Anyway, we are down to our last 20% of users that are not patched. We are trying to use this tool, which appears to be working, but can not get more than about 120 devices to display. I saw this question posted earlier, but did not see a reply.

Any ideas? I had the oringinal version of the tool installed and also installed the update. I am suspicious that the update is not installed as the tool still says 1.0??

ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #36
davet

Model: 7520

First of all, this is a great tool. Thanks for all the effort you've put into it. One small question though. I'm running the latest version of DST Expert and I don't see anything in the UI that displays how many devices have patch errors. I can see the errors in the DST Patch column when I look at the full user list but that column is not sortable.

Is this info available somewhere and I'm just not seeing it?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #37
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

FYI - RIM has released a new DST2007Query.exe tool (v4.1.2.12) which is now posted to BlackBerry.

-----------------------------
RIM is getting reports from a variety of customers that their DST2007Query tool is reporting a reasonable % of users in an "Error" state. During investigations we have determined in many of these cases it is due to 'False Negatives' being reported where in fact the device is patched, yet the DST2007Query tool says it is in an "Error" state as the system is out of sync.

Given this information we are planning to provide an updated version of the DST2007Query tool tomorrow, Wednesday, March 7th. This new version of the tool will now also allow forcing a 'resync' of the status data for more than just the "Awaiting Patch" state. It will now also trigger this for devices in an Error state. Draft release notes are attached, and the summary of this change is covered in the excerpt below.

- Direct from RIM
-----------------------------

Upon forcing a "resync" with RIM's new DST query it clears out the SyncBackupRestore table to force a "resync" of the data to determine if a patch was successful. From within the BoxTone DST Expert if you see a blank entry under the "Patch Installed" heading this would indicate that the user is in a "resync" phase.

Thanks

Jon
Boxtone
Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #38
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird95134
First, I can not agree more with the comments about this whole process and patch releases with RIM -- terrible (Good may get a few more licenses...).

Anyway, we are down to our last 20% of users that are not patched. We are trying to use this tool, which appears to be working, but can not get more than about 120 devices to display. I saw this question posted earlier, but did not see a reply.

Any ideas? I had the oringinal version of the tool installed and also installed the update. I am suspicious that the update is not installed as the tool still says 1.0??

ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks
ATTENTION:

For users who experience truncated data as described above or for users with a large BES / User count who experience timeouts with the BoxTone DST Expert and / or it's graphs please install the following update.

http://www.boxtone.com/GetDocument.aspx?DocumentId=32

This version (1.0.2.11) will implement BoxTone DST Expert caching in order to query or poll each BES server individually and allow the end user to manually update the cache ( refresh statistics ).

Thanks

Jon
Boxtone
Old 03-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #39
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet
First of all, this is a great tool. Thanks for all the effort you've put into it. One small question though. I'm running the latest version of DST Expert and I don't see anything in the UI that displays how many devices have patch errors. I can see the errors in the DST Patch column when I look at the full user list but that column is not sortable.

Is this info available somewhere and I'm just not seeing it?
The update I just posted in the above post will give you a new reports section which will report on users with ERROR status.

Thanks
Boxtone
Old 03-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #40
Chado

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

Great tool.... Did take some time for me to get working, the .dll fix worked for me. Appreciate the effort!!
Closed Thread