BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Smacca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2 Ireland
Default How can I restore 9780 backup data to my new Q10?

Please Login to Remove!

My 9780 is completely dead. First I got the white screen of death for a few days, then it collapsed completely. I've tried everything -- holding the power button while plugging it in and inserting the battery, etc -- to no avail.

Luckily, I made a full backup.

I ran out and bought a new Q10, and went to restore all my data to my new phone...but the new BlackBerry Link software appears to require the old phone to be alive.

Is there any way to restore my data on a new Q10 using a backup file from my (OS6) 9780? (If not, there really should be, because a lot of people whose BBs dies and they loyally replace them with a new BB are going to be very annoyed!)
Old 08-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: How can I restore 9780 backup data to my new Q10?

From the help file in Link

You can restore a backup file that you created from your BlackBerry device running BlackBerry 10 OS or from your BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later.

On your computer, open BlackBerry Link.
At the bottom of the screen, click your device.
Click the icon.
In the Settings view, in the left pane, click Restore Data.
Click Restore from backup file.
Do one of the following:
To restore all of the data in a backup file to your device, click a backup file.
To restore specific data in a backup file to your device, click a backup file. Clear the Restore all data checkbox. Select the checkbox beside one or more databases that you want to restore.
To restore data from a backup file that is not listed, click Open another backup folder. Navigate to the .bbb file or .ipd file. Click OK.
Click Restore Data.
Tip: To restore your device data, you can also click beside your device at the bottom of your screen. Click Restore.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Smacca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you very much for this -- I'll try it later.

In the meantime, what I did was get a very old Curve, one where the screen was broken but was apparently working apart from that, and restored the 9780 backup onto it, then used that 'working' device to switch devices to the Q10 on BB Link.

That worked...sort of. It transferred all my contacts, which is great, but it wouldn't transfer my work e-mail settings, and I have no way to get those. As far as I can gather, BB10 has something new with its mail that means it no longer supports outlook web access, or it does but you have to get the settings from your IT department. In my case the IT dept doesn't want to 'support' BB so they won't tell me what the settings are, and unlike my 9780, my Q10 can't figure it out.

This is a deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned, and I wish I'd known about ti before I'd bought the phone. The one thing I would expect BlackBerry to be able to do is e-mail, and I'd expect it to get better, not worse, with each new software. If I can't figure out a way to get my work e-mail on the phone (apart from through the browser), and no one brings out an app for BB to access owa the way they have for iPhone and Android...I'm actually going to have to downgrade to a Curve!

Would anyone know of a solution? Or, if not, would anyone know which is the best Blackberry where the e-mail settings WILL transfer from my 9780 backup? The 9790 uses OS 7 -- will that import my settings from a backup? (I just don't want to waste another $150 on a 9790 and then discover it doesn't do the job either!)

P.S. I've thought about sideloading an Android app that accesses owa, but they are all paid-for apps (as far as I know), so without a live Google Play account on the device I'm not sure they'll work.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Do people in your organisation use iPhones with your work e-mail?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Smacca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes and no; some people have company iPhones, and they are set up to get their e-mail in the normal iPhone mail place, and some do not have company iPhones and have to use Mail+, an app which uses owa settings. I could get someone who have a company iPhone to show me their settings -- do you think that would work? I thought there was something different about BB10, but I'll try anything at this stage, because I really like the phone.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

No, BB10 works just like an iPhone to get mail by using Exchange ActiveSync. It sounds as though your administrator has locked down which accounts may use EAS to those with company-owned iPhones, which you won't circumvent.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Smacca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you very much for explaining this to me. I know that I can access my work e-mail using the BlackBerry Q10 browser, essentially like webmail of old, but it looks terrible. I had the same problem with iPhone, but solved it by buying an app, Mail+, which used my owa settings to access the account, and then behaved like a separate mail app on the phone (i.e it wasn't integrated with my other iPhone mail) -- that worked fine.

If there were a BB10 app that did the same thing I would definitely buy it -- although I think it's a bit rich of BlackBerry not to provide it and integrate it with their new phone, given that there was a way to get owa mail using the previous OS -- but I haven't been able to find one. Does anyone know of one?

The other thing I'm trying to do is get an Android app that does the same thing, and sideload it onto my Q10 to see if that works. But...I can't find one that is free, and while I would be happy to buy one, I'm worried that even if I get the apk, convert it to a bar file, sideload it and run it, it might need an active Google Play account on the device to tell it I have paid and therefore to function.

Is it possible to get a Google Play account running on a BB10 device, or is there some other way to run a paid-for Android app on a Q10?

Do people think I'm on the right track with this?!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
Thank you very much for explaining this to me. I know that I can access my work e-mail using the BlackBerry Q10 browser, essentially like webmail of old, but it looks terrible. I had the same problem with iPhone, but solved it by buying an app, Mail+, which used my owa settings to access the account, and then behaved like a separate mail app on the phone (i.e it wasn't integrated with my other iPhone mail) -- that worked fine.

If there were a BB10 app that did the same thing I would definitely buy it -- although I think it's a bit rich of BlackBerry not to provide it and integrate it with their new phone, given that there was a way to get owa mail using the previous OS -- but I haven't been able to find one. Does anyone know of one?

The other thing I'm trying to do is get an Android app that does the same thing, and sideload it onto my Q10 to see if that works. But...I can't find one that is free, and while I would be happy to buy one, I'm worried that even if I get the apk, convert it to a bar file, sideload it and run it, it might need an active Google Play account on the device to tell it I have paid and therefore to function.

Is it possible to get a Google Play account running on a BB10 device, or is there some other way to run a paid-for Android app on a Q10?

Do people think I'm on the right track with this?!
I would try AquaMail, MailDroid, or K9. Aqua has a free version, but it is hampered until you upgrade to the pro version. K9 is free, and is community supported. I used to use DroidMail and it's free as well.

I would look at K9 first.

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 08-07-2013 at 09:23 AM..
Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Smacca
Thumbs Must Hurt

This doesn't work for me, I'm afraid. I also find that half the time it doesn't let me put in the optional settings, and when it does I press 'next' and nothing happens. Then the program closes and reboots.

There is clearly a gap in the market here for a BB10 owa app. People pay $5 for this on iPhone and Android, and my guess is they would on BB too.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
This doesn't work for me, I'm afraid. I also find that half the time it doesn't let me put in the optional settings, and when it does I press 'next' and nothing happens. Then the program closes and reboots.

There is clearly a gap in the market here for a BB10 owa app. People pay $5 for this on iPhone and Android, and my guess is they would on BB too.
There's no gap. There should be no reason to have an OWA app. If a company has an Exchange server, they should use Exchange ActiveSync to allow mobile access. If they feel the need to control access to only certain users via Active Directory or an MDM, then that's their right. OWA apps allow users to skirt that policy, and people that use them are possibly violating their company's policies.