Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #201
328iGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21569E16
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

IS there anywhere else to grab this update, have been trying for hours in this site is just over loaded and not even loading?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #202
freddymcfredfred
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iGuy View Post
IS there anywhere else to grab this update, have been trying for hours in this site is just over loaded and not even loading?

Thanks
Here's another link (click)
Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #203
heartspeace

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Sprint
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrolldf View Post
In the last two weeks, I've upgraded three times already. (.37, .44., .52) So, why should I do it one more time? Does this fix something? At this point, I'm ready to just wait for a couple more versions until Sunday or Monday to upgrade again.

Because believe it or not, this has helped tremendously with memory leaks...

at least for me.

Michael
Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #204
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Well there outta be another update in the next couple of days ............ seems like just a couple of days after I load a new OS, they release another one ................ and you guessed it ............ I am loading this one now. See ya in a couple of days.

Thanks to all for bringing this and all the other updates to our attention. Much appreciated.

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #205
tallboyonafatboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

downloaded the 4.5 today, pretty easy task. found a few improvements, maybe need to explore more. the video camera will be nice when I get a media card. one thing I did notice is when I updated my email addresses a old one has stayed on my BB but it's deleted in email set up. anypone know how I can get rid of it?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #206
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartspeace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrolldf
In the last two weeks, I've upgraded three times already. (.37, .44., .52) So, why should I do it one more time? Does this fix something? At this point, I'm ready to just wait for a couple more versions until Sunday or Monday to upgrade again.
Because believe it or not, this has helped tremendously with memory leaks...

at least for me.

Michael
Oh heck, I admit, I gave in and upgraded yesterday anyway. So, be prepared, I expect a new release tomorrow or Wednesday as a result. LOL.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #207
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

I'm back... after JSanders' encouragement, and a fully recovered 8310 w/ 4.2.2.194 OS installed, I removed the offending surreal theme and upgraded once again to this version.

This time, the experience was problem free - the experience that I had come to expect when upgrading 'berry OS... The software seems stable, and does not exhibit the sluggishness that I saw with the last attempt at upgrading.

I have a couple of observations:
  1. CrackMem 2.4 did NOT work/help with this OS install. I actually loaded the OS twice - once with CrackMem 2.4 and the second time to 'fix' the install/remove the apps that I tried to exclude from the first install.
  2. The new voice-activated search in Google Maps 2.2.1 does NOT work wiht this version of the OS on my 8310
  3. The GPS does NOT seem to register as quickly as the 4.2.2 version.
  4. The video camera is nice, but I need to get a larger microSD card - 2GB is not large enough for pictures, ringtones, a few files and video. Plus, I can't see using it in lieu of a 'real' video camera - but it is nice to have for that unanticipated grandchild moment.

Now I am off to find a workable theme and play with HTML email.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #208
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

All good news... I find the GPS ok on this release, not as slow as on an earlier release.

I wonder if you might have deleted the VAD files in your OS load, does that affect the Google Maps voice activation? I know my VAD is deleted, but voice command still does work with WLiveSearch. Just FYI.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #209
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboyonafatboy View Post
old one has stayed on my BB but it's deleted in email set up. anypone know how I can get rid of it?
Options > Advanced > Service Books. Find that email@address and delete the service book. If it returns, then that means it is not removed from your BIS account where it was setup, and you will need to delete the account there.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #210
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
All good news... I find the GPS ok on this release, not as slow as on an earlier release.

I wonder if you might have deleted the VAD files in your OS load, does that affect the Google Maps voice activation? I know my VAD is deleted, but voice command still does work with WLiveSearch. Just FYI.
I did intentionally delete VAD. I had done so on the 4.2.2.194 OS and that did NOT affect the GoogleMaps voice search. The WLS voice search, does work pretty well, but either I have changed the way I speak with the OS upgrade or something is causing the WLS voice function to be less accurate...

Either way, the voice search are nice, but it's something that I can live without, I suppose, since the GoogleMaps voice search is not even supposed to be available for the 8310 with any OS.

You KNEW that I'd be back to doing the OS upgrade, right?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #211
Casebrius
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebrius View Post
searched but no matches..... My Memo pad disappeared when I upgraded software. Can I get my old memo pad back from my backup (is it backwards compatible?)
Anyone?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #212
stevielive

Model: Z10
PIN: The Toilet
Carrier: AT&T
Default Just gotta share...

I'm running the most current OS and thanks for the insight within this valuable BB community. My Curve went to hell and back last night...back in BB bliss today! App errors 561, 507, etc showed up on the screen. If not for the 3rd party app back ups, OS back ups, et al., I don't know what I would have done.

For some reason I didn't panic nor become frustrated. The BB restored flawlessly after wiping the device w/Jl-Cmdr. I have all of the 3rd party app keys saved on a separate folders, so that wasn't an issue!

Sometimes ya gotta look in, and mostly importantly...listen! I figured on a major crash happening and had the proper insurance!

Thanks all! Still, by far, the very best phone device I've owned! Life does begin again!

8100 / 8310 / 9000 / 9800 / now Z10
Old 07-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #213
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Anyone?
unless you UNchecked the Memopad to load in the OS, it is not likely deleted. Go to Options > Status > Menu > Database Sizes and scroll down to Memos. Is it there, what size is it?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #214
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
unless you UNchecked the Memopad to load in the OS, it is not likely deleted. Go to Options > Status > Menu > Database Sizes and scroll down to Memos. Is it there, what size is it?
Actually, when I upgraded, it WAS unchecked - I didn't do it, and didn't see it until after the upgrade was done. I simply re-ran the app loaded with the MemoPad checked to add and voila! Everything was back to normal. I have no idea how it got unchecked, but it was, initially
Old 07-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #215
shona67
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Help

Last night, I downloaded upgraded OS 4.5 on my wife and did not go thru. I received an error, APP Error 523.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 AM   #216
DSSKing

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Has anyone upgraded from 4.2.2 on Rogers to this new firmware?

I'm using a locked 8310 on Rogers...... Will find unlocking software soon (Hopefully here).

Thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #217
yorrick
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: PON!
Carrier: Vodafone AU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casebrius
searched but no matches..... My Memo pad disappeared when I upgraded software. Can I get my old memo pad back from my backup (is it backwards compatible?)

Anyone?
Did you go into the Desktop and check that this was installed on your BB?
You can now add/remove memopad, task, brickbreaker as part of the desktop installation of files/apps.

I sync my memopad to my Outlook, so it was restored when I upgraded.
Good luck on restoring your memopad...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 AM   #218
yorrick
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: PON!
Carrier: Vodafone AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
  1. The video camera is nice, but I need to get a larger microSD card - 2GB is not large enough for pictures, ringtones, a few files and video. Plus, I can't see using it in lieu of a 'real' video camera - but it is nice to have for that unanticipated grandchild moment.
OS4.2.2 supports up to 4GB microSD cards on the 8310.
OS4.5 supports up to and above 8GB microSD cards

What type and size Media Card can I use in my device? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #219
rich007007

Model: 9550

Amazing, simply amazing. Thanks to the instructions that was so simple and very painless. I was a little nervous about half way through the whole thing because it appeared as if was stuck on "Connecting to Device". I was about to post a question on how long doesit take to connect to device and right before I clicked submit the curve rebooted and was back on its way.

Love the addition of video recording and voice notes. Just one small question on those. When I email it to myself and try to view the attachments sometimes I get a this format is not supported on your device message. Which is odd because it was recorded using the device. Any thoughts?

Thank you again.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #220
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shona67 View Post
Last night, I downloaded upgraded OS 4.5 on my wife and did not go thru. I received an error, APP Error 523.
App error 523 is often caused by a third party application which isn't compatible with the OS you have loaded. Sometimes you can plug the device in to the PC, open app loader while the hourglass is spinning and remove your third party apps until you find the one causing the problem.
Closed Thread