BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
madagi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Default Trouble setting up e-mail...

Please Login to Remove!

I'm having trouble setting up any e-mail on my Pearl. I'm a complete n00b when it comes to BlackBerries so please forgive any dumb questions...

Here's what I've tried and the results I've had:

- Clicked menu then selected Setup Internet E-mail
The first time I do this (or if I clear the browsers cache) I get the "select a timezone" screen. After I do that the next screen says "We apologize, there was an error trying to access the service. Try Again" If I click Try Again it just takes me to a t-zones page. If I then go back to menu > Setup Internet E-mail it just takes me back to the browser and shows me the last page I was on without loading anything new.

- Tried to set up the e-mail via my.t-mobile.com > Setup BlackBerry Internet E-mail
When I click this link it takes me to a page that says pretty much the same thing as my phone's browser, "We apologize, there was an error trying to access the service. Please click here to try again." When I click the "here" link it just logs me out of my.t-mobile.com. Log back in and repeat, same results.

- Tried removing E-mail set up [Browser Config] from my service book on my Pearl and then re-registering
Same results as stated above.

Now here is some info that may or may not be relevent....

- I've had the phone for a few days now (4 or 5). The first couple, I had an alternate "tester" line so that I could compare the phone next to my SK3. The first time I tried the setup on that line I was able to setup 1 e-mail account (a .mac account). Each time I tried to get back to it after that to edit it or add a new account, it would not work.

- Yesterday I decided on actually purchasing the phone so it has now been switched over to my actual TMO account. That was around 6:30PM EST yesterday.

- While in the store, I brang the issue up to the sales rep and he clicked on menu > Setup Internet E-mail (twice) and it worked fine both times. I felt stupid because it wasn't working for me but he just looked at me like I wasn't doing it right.

- I get home to try it and I'm having the same problems. Tried again this morning and I'm STILL having the same issue. Thought maybe the account needed time to be setup or something.

- I have GPRS access where I'm at. Although, I don't think that should matter because I can't set it up via the website either.

- I have the $59.99/month Blackbery Minutes & Mail plan with unlimited data and 1000 anytime minutes.

I know I must be missing some simple thing or doing something wrong that should be obvious but I've been at this for a few days now trying to figure it out on my own and I am at a loss. So, I come here hoping someone can explain what I might be doing wrong or what I would need to do to fix this. I know it shouldn't be this difficult to setup an e-mail account on a phone. Any help?

PS: Sorry for the extremely long post. I just wanted to be thorough and not leave anything out

Last edited by madagi; 09-17-2006 at 10:35 AM..
Old 09-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
naviwilliams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

Sorry, very long post, and I've not read all of it. But, when did you get the 'data plan'? If it was within the last 24 hours, that could be the issue. I thought that it took 24-48 hours to process the data plan on a new device / account...
Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
madagi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Haha no sweat man. I just activated the line yesterday around 6:30PM. But before that I had a different line for 3 days or so and had the same problem.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
naviwilliams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900

Hmm, well, I suggest speaking with the service provider...
Old 09-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
madagi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Can anyone at least confirm if the BIS portion of TMO is working for them? When I don't get the error the page seems to time out all together so I'm wondering if it's a problem on TMO's end and I should just wait it out.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
dngo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by madagi
Can anyone at least confirm if the BIS portion of TMO is working for them? When I don't get the error the page seems to time out all together so I'm wondering if it's a problem on TMO's end and I should just wait it out.
Mine is working just fine, my Yahoo email is coming through without a problem. Checked out the My T-Mobile site today as well and could edit settings with no issues.

Dave
Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
madagi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the reply. Must be something screwy with my account then. I have a feeling something got messed up when they took my Sidekick plan off and switched me to the BlackBerry Mail & Minutes plan.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
blah509

bump this.....

I am having the same issues with the website redirecting...
Old 09-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
madagi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Don't know if it will help you but I just called CC and found out that my PIN was tied to another phone number that was not mine (it was tied to the loaner SIM I was given while testing out the phone). Apparently that never got switched over when I decided to keep the phone and put in my own SIM. 5 minutes on the phone with TMO and it's fixed. Wish I had done that in the first place!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 PM   #10
blaze420
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Default pin

Yep if your acct is set to wrong pin # its endless looping. The system thinks you stole the phone. Just say blackberry to the IVR system all your problems solved
Closed Thread