Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
smbyers
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Installing apps on BB

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BB 7250. I am running Redirector at work and I sync my contacts and calendar until I get on the BES.

I recently spotted an app I'd like to download and add the to the BB (Message Alerts). It looks as if I have to download a zip file and I assume the install file is inside. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have an over the air install option, so I assume I will need to use the app loader from the BB desktop software.

If I install the BB desktop software at home to load the app and already have Redirector and BB desktop running at work (at the same time), will this present any problems? I would assume not, but I just don't want to mess anything up since I will be out of the office and need to receive my emails from Redirector without any interruptions. I just don't know what type of communication takes place regarding my PIN and configuration with the BB servers.. I'm still pretty new to all this.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

just make sure you dont click on redirector at the timeof install and you will be fine
Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon

I do this myself without problems. One thing to keep in mind in addition to what Dawg said is that your App Loader configuration has to be the same in both locations. In other words, if you have (for instance) loaded ActiveNet at work and it shows up in App Loader, you also need to have it at home. If you try to run App Loader at home, and ActiveNet isn't there, App Loader will consider it an unrecognized module and will want to remove it from the BB.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Talldog, great point but if i loaded it at work, how do i make it show up at home? DO i just copy the entire blackberry directory from home and paste it over the one at home, is it as simple as that?

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

In my configuration, loader files go under:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files

If your config is the same, that's all you would have to copy, but it really doesn't matter where the files are. To continue my previous example, you would have the following files for ActiveNet: ConversionHelper.alx and ConversionHelper.cod. Those files would need to be somewhere on your home PC. Then, when you're in the main App Loader window looking at the checkboxes for the different applications, click Add, browse to ConversionHelper.alx, and select it. This will add it to the main App Loader window (and it will be checked). You have to do this for every app that you have in work. It goes without saying (so I'll say it anyway) that the BBDM version should be the same on both PCs and the HHOS version must be the same.