Old 07-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US
Default Products using ActiveSync now hitting the pipeline

Please Login to Remove!

http://www.mobileburn.com/pressrelease.jsp?Id=1475

This looks like an exceptional product. They charge between 50USD and 100USD per user.

They support Symbian UIQ, Series 60, Series 80, Palm OS - and - the kick in the balls to RIM, any J2ME MIDP2.0 device (for email only).

This means that instant delivery of email is available on devices like the Sony Ericsson K700, K750, S700, Motorola V3/RAZR, and hundreds of other devices.

Email delivery to mobile devices is no longer the property of RIM. Clearly they are a dominant force in the North American market for email, but we are now on the cusp of watching RIM scramble to innovate in a space that is now starting to get crowded.

What does it mean for BlackBerry users? Nothing right now.

What does it mean for the market? That suddenly hundreds of thousands of Symbian devices have full BlackBerry-esque sync capability to Exchange 2003, including email delivery. So now if you are fed up with the dull, lackluster, cold impersonal nature of the BlackBerry, you can get the same (or darn near identical) user experience on much fancier whiz-bang devices.

Dataviz's timeline: http://www.dataviz.com/solutions/ent.../timeline.html
Old 07-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
simpleSoft

Model: 7100g

Couldn't agree more with you sempai...
Old 07-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
bbmember
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai
http://www.mobileburn.com/pressrelease.jsp?Id=1475

This looks like an exceptional product. They charge between 50USD and 100USD per user.

They support Symbian UIQ, Series 60, Series 80, Palm OS - and - the kick in the balls to RIM, any J2ME MIDP2.0 device (for email only).

This means that instant delivery of email is available on devices like the Sony Ericsson K700, K750, S700, Motorola V3/RAZR, and hundreds of other devices.

Email delivery to mobile devices is no longer the property of RIM. Clearly they are a dominant force in the North American market for email, but we are now on the cusp of watching RIM scramble to innovate in a space that is now starting to get crowded.

What does it mean for BlackBerry users? Nothing right now.

What does it mean for the market? That suddenly hundreds of thousands of Symbian devices have full BlackBerry-esque sync capability to Exchange 2003, including email delivery. So now if you are fed up with the dull, lackluster, cold impersonal nature of the BlackBerry, you can get the same (or darn near identical) user experience on much fancier whiz-bang devices.

Dataviz's timeline: http://www.dataviz.com/solutions/ent.../timeline.html
sempai, "push" email delivery to symbiam devices could have been achieved even earlier through 3rd party apps. So just because someone could do push email doesn't make blackberry solution go away just like iPods are not going away because you can play music on a cell phone.

And by the way this topic should have been somewhere else I would think. Why is it "Rumor Mill"?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmember
sempai, "push" email delivery to symbiam devices could have been achieved even earlier through 3rd party apps. So just because someone could do push email doesn't make blackberry solution go away just like iPods are not going away because you can play music on a cell phone.

And by the way this topic should have been somewhere else I would think. Why is it "Rumor Mill"?
Because SP2 isn't out yet?

And yes, several offerings outside the US and Canada existed for Symbian to do push/push-like email. Problem is, they've been absent from the US market. In fact, a few of them refuse you service if you're in the United States! I believe it was "Duality" or "Smartner" that I had to tell them I lived in France.

At any rate, the iPod experience is vastly superior to any other portable music player. Are you saying that the experience on a BlackBerry is worth a premium?

I don't know that it is - the devices themselves are un-inspired and don't provide you with nearly as many features as other devices - are people going to go pay a premium for that?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
CarlSpackler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: 30183C7D
Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs down

I still see no mention of Task, Calendar or Contact synchronization wirelessly.

Nothing exciting here, just someone PUSHING a Micro$oft solution.

Carl
Old 07-06-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Tasks, Calendars, and Contacts wirelessly sync, along with email, on Symbian devices.

You not have read what I posted. The killer application here though is that wireless email being pushed to j2me midp2 devices. Fantastic.

I'm not "pushing" anything. I don't like Exchange, and I don't like MS. It is exciting that people can offer the BlackBerry experience while still allowing users to have choice on what handsets they use.

It is a very small market of people that actually prefer the BlackBerry hardware - the applications are what sell the devices, not that they're frisbee-shaped and ugly.

The reason people buy a BlackBerry is to wirelessly get email, and sync their calendars and appointments and contacts.

Now that you don't need a BlackBerry to do that - and can do it as well - what will users do?

I don't exactly have a record of being a shill for Microsoft - I think anyone using Windows is a chump.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
CarlSpackler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: 30183C7D
Carrier: Verizon

Can I acces my SAP applications via ActiveSync? Currently we have numerous SAP applications that are utilizing MDS from BES, Doctor Stat orders, Field inspections, and other various apps. All running SECURELY on MDS.

Carl
Old 07-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #8
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

Those will argue that you don't need activesync to access 3rd party application data on the internet because you have a native tcp/ip stack. However BlackBerry provides end-to-end security for internal network applications. You can't access in this method on microsofts model, and application developers are required to develope their own security models.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:11 AM   #9
FlemmingRiis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy
and application developers are required to develope their own security models.
or use the buildt in vpn
Old 07-07-2005, 07:51 AM   #10
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
Can I acces my SAP applications via ActiveSync? Currently we have numerous SAP applications that are utilizing MDS from BES, Doctor Stat orders, Field inspections, and other various apps. All running SECURELY on MDS.

Carl
If they're web applications, they can be secured using standard protocols. Traffic isn't back-hauled to the server like it is with BlackBerry BES/MDS, though.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
tomh009
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai
The killer application here though is that wireless email being pushed to j2me midp2 devices. Fantastic.
The push email is only available on Symbian, not on the J2ME devices.

As for BB alternatives, there are precious few Symbian devices out there with decent keyboards,sexy shape or not. Now, maybe a Nokia 9300 Communicator (which also supports Blackberry email, incidentally), with the 640x200 display, but otherwise ...

Last edited by tomh009; 07-11-2005 at 09:10 PM..
Old 08-03-2005, 02:58 AM   #12
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .
Exclamation

Where's the compression on the Exchange push????? Businesses will NEVER invest in a technology unless they will make a return on the investment. BES may cost to implement, but those going down the Exchange SP2 route will spend equally as much on stupid touch screen PocketPC handhelds that crash loads. Also, we don't even know if there's any remote kill feature or device lockout or app installs OTA or backup to SQL, need I go on!!!!!!!!!!!

Same old Microsoft trying to but in on a market that RIM have been cleaning up in for ages, and I'll admit competition is healthy, but I'll stand by my BlackBerry. Who's with me?!?!?!?!?

Old 08-15-2005, 08:21 AM   #13
Minister Stanley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 305C7DB6
Carrier: T-Mobile

Speaking from the point of view of a normal consumer running BWS, I would not mind seeing other devices with the push mail capability. That is the main thing holding me to my Blackberry. I know I may be considered a chump by some, but I loved my IPAQ. If the 6315 had been even half way stable and had push mail, I would not have traded it in for a blackberry.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 AM   #14
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att

for ppc devices securing the active synch server was a pita for small organzations w exchange. had to run a second server outside your firewall . haven't read that changing w latest msft promises. (but yes, if msft made that as easy and secure as bes, i'd go back to ppc and activesynch because the bb is neither a great phone nor a decent pda
Old 08-30-2005, 10:29 AM   #15
FlemmingRiis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenemery
for ppc devices securing the active synch server was a pita for small organzations w exchange. had to run a second server outside your firewall . haven't read that changing w latest msft promises. (but yes, if msft made that as easy and secure as bes, i'd go back to ppc and activesynch because the bb is neither a great phone nor a decent pda
MIS2000 was around at the same time as ISA , it was default recomended that you reversed proxied in from a dmz to the MIS2000, when exchange 2003 came out they still recomended that you reversed proxied in or used a front end.

MS never recomended or required a seperate box on a unsecure network.
Closed Thread