Old 05-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #41
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
eBay has also made it impossible to contact the bidders to warn them.
I got contacted by eBay when I bid on a Bret Favre jersey once, they said the seller's item had been withdrawn because it had been determined that it wasn't as advertised. So they can contact you if they want about something you're bidding on.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #42
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

I think Greg was referring more to the fact that outsiders cannot contact the buyer. Or at least, that was what I took his statement as meaning, but I could be wrong!
Old 05-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #43
Contender36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: 205CC1FC
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
I got contacted by eBay when I bid on a Bret Favre jersey once, they said the seller's item had been withdrawn because it had been determined that it wasn't as advertised. So they can contact you if they want about something you're bidding on.
that has happened to me a few times, it gets annoying, but its kinda nice of ebay to do that.....
Old 05-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #44
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Carrier: None

so go thru the links on ebay and contact ebay directly with the auction number, they will shut it down
Old 05-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #45
metro12
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

$2,000 for a phone? Albeit a Blackberry, that is just ridiculous. Use a little patience and you can have one for less than half that price and be assured that it is a legitimate device. Remember what PT Barnum said...
Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #46
JEGO82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telcel

thats just stupid, i wouldnt pay 2000 dolars for a phone
Old 05-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #47
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGO82 View Post
You'd be surprised what they'll pay for a new release, unlocked phone. Easily double the price with a contract, maybe triple. I remember people driving all over the state of Texas to get a new Curve from a store that had a few in stock. It's a sickness, and many on forums like this have it (and I've glad they do, we get to lowdown on the phones right away!).
Old 05-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #48
torberry

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Consider this if you haven't- the bids are as fake as the listing!

Unless a buyer can verify the credibility and the seller (and I think some actual pictures might help) it's difficult to imagine paying that much for this device. I can afford to pay $2000 without issue but if it means only waiting another 30-60 days to have it for $499-$599 I don't see any reason to get it.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #49
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

You people need to remember that what is alot of money to some is a small amout to others. $2000 is not a huge amount of money these days and there are lots who would pay that and more for a good working 9000.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #50
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Quote:
You people need to remember that what is alot of money to some is a small amout to others. $2000 is not a huge amount of money these days and there are lots who would pay that and more for a good working 9000.
True, but it still baffles me considering that $2000 is the entirety of my bank account
Old 05-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #51
torberry

Quote:
Gregg,

I'm fortunate to fall into this category myself. However, considering that the release is imminent it doesn't make financial sense to do it even though I have the resources. If you would have offered it to me in June 2007 at the time that the curve was released I would probably have paid more for it.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #52
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

1 day 11 hours 43 mins until someone gets ripped off.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #53
Blackberryer

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
Gregg,

I'm fortunate to fall into this category myself. However, considering that the release is imminent it doesn't make financial sense to do it even though I have the resources. If you would have offered it to me in June 2007 at the time that the curve was released I would probably have paid more for it.
This is so true. Even if you're a millionaire, why in the world would you want to pay for something that's probably an unfinished version of a product that's due to be released pretty soon with even more bells and whistles at a much lesser cost?

That's assuming you're not paying for the pleasure of being ripped off altogether.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #54
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGO82 View Post
I was offered upwards of 8 grand for the firt pearl I ever put my hands on. I couldnt get the guy who had it to go along with it.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #55
TheBigNewt

The guy who did the Crackberry.com review this month bought his 9000 on Ebay for about $850usd and it worked fine he said. I was surprised to read that, but it seems to be true. It's a nice review too.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #56
metro12

Carrier: verizon

Just my two cents...Even if you are wealthy and can afford what you want why would you spend...foolishly(?) (maybe that's harsh) but I am assuming that how you became wealthy has as much to do with how you handle your money as it does with the number of zeroes in your paycheck (you ultra wealthy oil barons, I'm not talking to you). Perhaps you can shell out 2 grand for a phone, but why would you, when in a very short time you can have what you want for less money. I assuming you want to stay wealthy...or maybe you guys are lot richer than I am assuming. If that is true, I understand you can sometimes get two for a lesser price and I would be happy to be the recipient of your largesse.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #57
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
The guy who did the Crackberry.com review this month bought his 9000 on Ebay for about $850usd and it worked fine he said. I was surprised to read that, but it seems to be true. It's a nice review too.
RIM later disabled the PIN to his Bold.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #58
Contender36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: 205CC1FC

LOL @ ebay, i reported the item and wrote them and explained everything, I got an automated email back, stating that the item will NOT be taken off ebay, and there is no proof that it is a fraudulent item... sucks for the guy who is winning it
Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #59
shona67

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
RIM later disabled the PIN to his Bold.
How do you know?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #60
torberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro12 View Post
Just my two cents...Even if you are wealthy and can afford what you want why would you spend...foolishly(?) (maybe that's harsh) but I am assuming that how you became wealthy has as much to do with how you handle your money as it does with the number of zeroes in your paycheck (you ultra wealthy oil barons, I'm not talking to you). Perhaps you can shell out 2 grand for a phone, but why would you, when in a very short time you can have what you want for less money. I assuming you want to stay wealthy...or maybe you guys are lot richer than I am assuming. If that is true, I understand you can sometimes get two for a lesser price and I would be happy to be the recipient of your largesse.
I am no oil baron but I have means. The allure of exclusivity is having what isn't wildly available. If showing off is your goal then the Vertu is a much easily and effective way to go about it. Of course owning a Vertu and showing up at a meeting in a cheap suit won't impress. You'd need to spend at least $5000 on your clothes. And probably wear at least a $10,000 watch, drive at least a $100,000 car, have a $5,000,000 home and a probably a $8,000,000 jet. See where I'm going?

The only reason anyone should own anything is to derive pleasure from owning it, not to boast of one's actual or apparent wealth. Ultimately there is no satisfaction associated with such immodest conduct.

We should all strive to be generous and selfless, to give back more than we receive and to seek pleasure from what we DO, not what we HAVE.

I believe most of you, like me, are interested in this forum and this technology out of a quest for discovery of what's new and exciting in addition to a desire to enhance the day-to-day experiences through technology.

RIM has allowed us to become CLOSER to one another through technology and by adding fantastic features like a camera, a mp3 player it enables us to enhance our quality of life by sharing photos of friends and loved ones, enjoying music and podcasts as well as provide access to essential business tools that benefit us through productivity.

With RIM and iPhone going head to head for our business, we are truly the beneficiaries as they push each other to delivery more and more enhancement for cheaper and cheaper prices. I recall when MOTO brought out the STARTAC line of mobile phones in the early 1990s. The top of line model was $1000, the equivalent of probably $2,000 today. And it you could do on it was talk!

I read today that a company is on the verge of being able to condense a 8MP camera lense onto a conventional mobile phone by 2009. Imagine the advantages of seeing high resolution photos of your child from 1000s of miles away INSTANTLY on your device when you can't be there to share the experience with him. And to think that this will be available to the masses at an affordable price? Amazing.

That's the benefit of this technology guys, not a rapidly fleeting sense of superiority over someone else from shallow material pursuits.

My apologies for the rant. I sensed some perspective was in order.

Last edited by torberry; 05-27-2008 at 11:17 AM..
Closed Thread