Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #21
pcullens

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Default Visual Voicemail

Please Login to Remove!

Can you give a little more explanation regarding visual voicemail with Word?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #22
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

guyes keep this on track!! this thread is about why you dont like the iphone, not about visual voice... you have questions about it. make a new thread or search dont clog up a good thread with useless crap that has nothing to do with the title...
Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #23
NEWBIE BERRY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T MO

The only reason the iphone is causing such a consumer buzz is because of the name. Apple captured the digital mp3 market with the ipod (even that one baffles me) and now the name iphone has caught on. I have a cheap ass san disk mp3 player and it works just as good as an ipod if not better because it supports more formats! Apple and all their proprietary formats can kiss.... You know. And apple knows the consumers will keep paying their prices so they probably will not change anything about their stupid phone.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #24
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIE BERRY View Post
The only reason the iphone is causing such a consumer buzz is because of the name. Apple captured the digital mp3 market with the ipod (even that one baffles me) and now the name iphone has caught on. I have a cheap ass san disk mp3 player and it works just as good as an ipod if not better because it supports more formats! Apple and all their proprietary formats can kiss.... You know. And apple knows the consumers will keep paying their prices so they probably will not change anything about their stupid phone.
Right on.

You know, I question Apple's motives with the fixed battery. They got plenty of complaints with the iPod over it so you would think for a mobile phone they would make the iPhone battery removable.

Maybe you are right, Apple figures Apple fanatics will buy anything Apple makes, so that is a big enough market for the iPhone. Other than this, I'm not sure what Apple's motive is, but it can't be to gain a new following, the other 95% of people who use PCs.

It could be that they calculate a high percentage of iPod owners will move to the iPhone. Apple announced that they have now sold the 100 millionth iPod. So are they thinking people will now fork over $650 for a phone that includes another iPod? I don't think so.

As to PC owners, assuming that non-Apple users own iPods, I can imagine that Apple thinks the current iPhone will win PC users over. But in line with what you say, PC users [who have an iPod] are used to options, and plenty of them. They don't take kindly to Apple's methods of keeping its customers in line. [E.g., a non-removable battery that you have to spend $110 to have replaced ONLY by Apple.] What a bunch of control freak fools.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 07-27-2007 at 03:27 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #25
Ketchums
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Dope, good reasons. By the way...how do you listen to XM on your Pearl?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #26
pctech4u

Model: 8703
Carrier: Sprint
Default I was given one and it was great I got 850 on ebay

I have set up 5 of them.

the 2 on the pc went really easy (outlook works great! with it)
the 2 on the Mac were a little more work (apple's address book stinks!)
the 1 that is tring to do exchange was really alot of work and he likes the "cool" factor (it tooks us 6 hour to get it going)
He will be back to blackberry in a week or two

I was given one and it was great I got 850 on ebay

So I'm glads it here ... more work
AT&T data network it the pits
I wait to version 2 or 3 or maybe 4 or 5

Matt
Pctech4u.com
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #27
pctech4u

Well until they fail they will do what they want:

100,000,000 ipods
500,000 ipones in a week
stock is at 130 somthing

I agree with ya but the money is what they care about!

Matt
PCTECH4u.com
Old 07-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #28
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctech4u View Post
Well until they fail they will do what they want:

100,000,000 ipods
500,000 ipones in a week
stock is at 130 somthing

I agree with ya but the money is what they care about!

Matt
PCTECH4u.com
You had to remind me. Back when the dot.com crash happened, I had about 5000 shares of Apple that I sold at $18 to get out while I could.

You know what they say about holding on to stocks for the long term. Oh well.

I stopped looking at AAPL so not to regret the move. I was doing pretty good. Up until your post I thought they were at about 70 or something close to that.

Thanks bud.. Sometimes BBF is a downer.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 07-08-2007 at 11:41 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #29
djxedxd

Model: 9530
PIN: bic,no ball point,wait its blue
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchums View Post
Dope, good reasons. By the way...how do you listen to XM on your Pearl?
but I can listen to XM on my Blackberry.

Ya my question exactly .Ya probly gotta be able to stream stuff right which leaves us americans out again .
Wonder if the IPhone can stream proly not and did someone say theres no video on the IPhone wat up wit dat sheet heh .Big ol huge screen...................

wait up it showed on one demo i saw it can play you tube so its gotta play video...Right?
eh phone still sucks id distroy that touch screen in a week .
Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #30
Mike_Sheils

Model: 8100
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmalho2 View Post
2. If that shit falls, its done
yeah, that would suck, falls face first...there goes your only mode of input.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #31
King-B

PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom

Wasnt there a rumor awhile ago about one of the satelite radio companies wanting to have iPod support? Maybe Apple will be working on that in the future with the iPhone.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 AM   #32
NEWBIE BERRY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T MO

I wonder if there is an iphone forum where they talk trash about us BB people? Oh well..... They still suck
Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 AM   #33
djxedxd

PIN: bic,no ball point,wait its blue
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIE BERRY View Post
I wonder if there is an iphone forum where they talk trash about us BB people? Oh well..... They still suck
didnt see any shit talkin on bb but they got there share of probs

Post your model # and any issues with your iPhone. - Everything iPhone
Old 07-09-2007, 03:37 AM   #34
Spectral

PIN: 23FA9743

The BlackBerry is first and foremost a secure communication device and it's primarily designed for business use with things like camera and media player added on later to appeal to the consumer market. It's still very versatile with Java support, so many more features can be added.

The iPhone is a media player that also happens to be a phone. The phone is targetted squarely at the consumer market, so the main focus was eyecandy, which is understandable.

I don't get why people keep comparing the two. They serve very different needs, and while there are similarities in functionality, they are not meant to replace each other.

Last edited by Spectral; 07-09-2007 at 03:41 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 03:58 AM   #35
ski837547
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm sticking with my Pearl because if I'm surfing the web and a phone call comes in, the Pearl (along with most phones) will pause the data connection and the phone will ring. The iPhone is different. If it's using a data connection via EDGE, a phone call will go straight to voicemail and the phone will never ring. A cell phone should be first and foremost a phone. But Apple in its infinite wisdom, decided data is more important then a phone call. Discussion about this flaw is at the below:

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Problem with the iPhone that apple needs to address ASAP (not discussed i dont think)

Last edited by ski837547; 07-09-2007 at 04:04 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 AM   #36
Spectral

That's a limitation of the EDGE technology and has nothing to do with the iPhone. I just tested this on the Pearl, and any incoming calls during an active transfer get routed to voicemail.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:56 AM   #37
ski837547
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
That's a limitation of the EDGE technology and has nothing to do with the iPhone. I just tested this on the Pearl, and any incoming calls during an active transfer get routed to voicemail.
Not on my Pearl. I have tested it during an active data connection and the data connection is always paused and the phone rings. Also numerous other people on the thread I provided reports their previous/current phone interrupts the data connection and lets the phone ring. The only limitation of EDGE is that a phone call and a data connection cannot happen at the same time.

Last edited by ski837547; 07-09-2007 at 05:04 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #38
pctech4u

Cool Sorry about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
You had to remind me. Back when the dot.com crash happened, I had about 5000 shares of Apple that I sold at $18 to get out while I could.

You know what they say about holding on to stocks for the long term. Oh well.

I stopped looking at AAPL so not to regret the move. I was doing pretty good. Up until your post I thought they were at about 70 or something close to that.

Thanks bud.. Sometimes BBF is a downer.
I don't fill much better I got Apple at 50 something and sold at 110 because it was pure iPhone hype and it was overvalued then! yet my Microsoft stock can't get past 30! and it my biggest share!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #39
zero7404

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

i am with everybody, i wouldn't trade up a BB for an iphone. i think apple stuff has gotten way too 'gaudy' and 'loud' for me.

out of all the reviews i could find online good and bad, the only thing i can appreciate regarding this $ 600 ipaperweight is it's build quality and slickness.

i read on ZDNet that RIM was already underway building a device that's similar to the iphone. But you can rest assured that if it's from RIM, it's going to sell like hotcakes and their stock prices will triple upon such a release. I also read up on Mr. Balsille's comments and take on Apple's move. I agree that Apple really stretched it out and you can tell, when they don't even bother to put the AT&T logo on the phone, that something's wrong.

i am one of those folks passing on the wifi Crimson, hoping the generation of RIM devices that follows will have these incredible features. but it's going to be tough trying to match Apple's industrial design tactics...

Last edited by zero7404; 07-09-2007 at 07:17 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #40
Spectral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski837547 View Post
Not on my Pearl. I have tested it during an active data connection and the data connection is always paused and the phone rings. Also numerous other people on the thread I provided reports their previous/current phone interrupts the data connection and lets the phone ring. The only limitation of EDGE is that a phone call and a data connection cannot happen at the same time.
Don't mistake an established TCP/IP connection for an "active" connection. If you're merely connected to an IM service or just connected to a host but aren't actively transmitting or receiving data, a call can still come through. If your connection is saturated, you cannot receive calls.

Try this: get a full URL to an MP3 file and type it into your BB browser (TinyURL helps here). It'll say requesting, and after a little while it'll start the transfer. My tests were inconclusive during the request stage, but once the transfer starts, you should not be able to receive calls. Choose an MP3 that's at least 500KB so you have ample time to test.
Closed Thread