Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T
Cool iPhone

Please Login to Remove!

It's started....

Several execs (and myself) returned from Xmas with a shiny new iPhone. Now all the execs want to know whether there is a way to "make it work like the BlackBerry".

I am guessing that there is no way to leverage BES for an iPhone until RIM/Apple decide to get together and try and push the iPhone into the business market. Not sure how likely this is.

If anyone knows any different, please let me know!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
cwichura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A

iPhone is epic fail when it comes to corporate E-mail. Sorry. Even Windows Mobile integrates better.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

With the BES - nothing. Considering how Apple loves to control everything unsure they would allow RIM to govern their device. If nothing is announced about exchange connectivity at the upcoming Macworld you'll likely have a long wait. It will work if you still have IMAP enabled.

There is a vendor out there that offers a enterprise "sync" product but it's very limited and I belive Exchange only.

I don't really see the iphone as a corporate device it's more entertainment focused.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

I totally agree. Unfortunately most execs are fairly simple-minded when it comes to technology, and will never understand why it can't "just work" how they want it to.

Argh.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

There's not actually a lot to choose from between the Iphone and the 8120 apart from the 'touch screen' and the 'cover-flow' and the hype.

The 8120 is more than a match from a music playback, web browsing perspective - indeed without headphones the iphone seemed to me (on the in-store demo) to be really quiet, compared to an 8120.

Why not givem them one to to play with as a comparison...

Oh and given that you're in the UK then as of today you can't put iphones onto 'corporate accounts' to be paid centrally either - so if thats important to your purchasing process then you're a bit stuffed. This should change soon however as O2 permite dealers and service providers to sell the device and bill it to corporates asd required...

Last edited by bertiebassett; 01-04-2008 at 12:23 PM..
Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
rkhan2000

Model: 8800
Carrier: Etisalat
Default From BB to iPhone and back...

We have been using BBs integrated with BES for the past year and have been incredibly happy with it. It was out of sheer curiosity that I went out and bought an iPhone and have been carrying it for the past couple of weeks.

Three days ago I dumped it and went back to my BB. I can not begin to describe to you what a relief it was to get my BB back I don't want to undermine the iPhone interface because that wouldn't be fair - but as you all mentioned, it's just not a business phone at all. For me, like most corporates, the calendar is everything. I hate docking and there is no other way to sync my GW calendar other than via MS Outlook Connector on my desktop and then syncing that way. It was driving me nuts and it was a breeze with my BB because it would sync wirelessly from anywhere.

iPhone was great entertainment for me....I enjoyed the video, wireless Internet access and the cool multi-touch interface - I will miss it. The thing is that I missed my BB more
Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

I'm keeping both. My now company has a policy that blocks any personal use on BlackBerries, and since the policy was introduced and I lost the ability to get my BIS email, it was quote annoying. However, I totally understand and respect the company's reasoning to keep business devices just that.
So I have my BB for work stuff, any my iPhone for everything else, and I am very happy with that...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
blincoln
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett View Post
There's not actually a lot to choose from between the Iphone and the 8120 apart from the 'touch screen' and the 'cover-flow' and the hype.
The iPhone UI is lightyears better than any other handheld computer that I've ever used. If I were interested in owning a handheld myself, that would be the one I would get. Well, and it came in a ruggedized version so I wouldn't break it within the first couple of weeks. It's just not a type of device I feel the need to own.
There is a rumour (verified by now? I haven't been paying too much attention) that Apple is going to be targeting the business market in the not-too-distant future, and syncing with Exchange will supposedly be a part of that. Sort of like the SDK, they got the product out the door and are releasing the shiny add-on bits as they finish them.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

There is one part that has not been touched on...the fact that the blackberry is more secure than any handheld product out in the market (my opinion), which is why major corporations will not let a product such as an Iphone be attached to a corporate mail server.

I have experienced the same type of questions and I will not allow any external device be connected on the BES or pull email from the mail server using pop for security reasons.

I have used the BlackBerry since the 850 Pager size and have had every type of unit T-Mobile and ATT/Cingular released. However, nothing beats the curve, i think its the perfect device for its size, processor, screen, keyboard, and it fits in my pocket and or suit without the need of a case / holster.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

The i...what? Sorry, never heard of this iPhone thing you're all talking about. Sounds like some short lived fashion fad to me.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
There is one part that has not been touched on...the fact that the blackberry is more secure than any handheld product out in the market (my opinion) ...
For an all in one solution released from the manufacturer, I've no reason to think you are not factually correct. Every other mobile computer / phone integrated device requires some sort of 3rd party security mechanism from my experiences.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Hdawg,

The point I am trying to come across that the Blackberry is more secure than an iphone or any of the handhelds released. Yes there is 3rd party security software available such as verisign, etc but its not part of the handheld and its something that has to be purchased OR maybe some give it out with it...but at the end of the day, no device in my opinion that can beat the blackberry in data security.

If I am not factually correct, why do you think iphones or other such type of handhelds are not being used in the corporate field along with the government besides the fact it is a fad and if no way of managing such a device remotely other than the BB.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

I think you misread my response. I not only agree with your opinion, but believe it is fact.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #14
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Hdawg,

The point I am trying to come across that the Blackberry is more secure than an iphone or any of the handhelds released. Yes there is 3rd party security software available such as verisign, etc but its not part of the handheld and its something that has to be purchased OR maybe some give it out with it...but at the end of the day, no device in my opinion that can beat the blackberry in data security.

If I am not factually correct, why do you think iphones or other such type of handhelds are not being used in the corporate field along with the government besides the fact it is a fad and if no way of managing such a device remotely other than the BB.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

accidental double post?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Yes 2 faults actually. I mis-read your posting, which I do apologize for because it sounds like a defensive response, when it is not and for the double post, I posted and it gave me a "problem loading page" and i hit the refresh button.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

... hopefully #2 will get fixed ... regarding #1 ... I would have been just as defensive too; your points are spot on.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #18
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Thank you, Much appreciated. Yes hopefully#1 gets resolved in due time. I think its this first week back to work, where all the problems showcase itself...We are experiencing some dns issues and its being worked on. Affecting smtp routing....there goes the day
Old 01-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #19
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

iPhone for business use is in the works I believe, from what I have heard from ATT business group
Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #20
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Bah to iPhones. I've managed to crack the screen on mine after owning it for less than a month. Thankfully it is insured, but that probably means I'll get a refurbished one that someone else cracked the screen on...

I've never broken my BB.