BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
fs27

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default New to blackberry, couple questions!

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everybody, this is a really great forum with lots of great questions and answers- I'm glad I found it.

So last week I had an upgrade due (yay!) and I decided to get the samsung rogue. I'm with verizon, so now they have this new data plan which is $10/mo for 25 mb. It's pretty lame. I liked the phone, but in 4 days I was already at 12 mb because I thought it was so cool I could finally go on the internet on a phone (I was an LG env 2 owner).

So I went back to the store, and I returned the phone for the blackberry curve 8530. Usually I do research on the phone, look at reviews, watch youtube reviews, stuff like that. I didn't for this phone, I was looking at the tour 9630, but I thought I don't need international or a better camera, so I decided to not get that one. Plus, I thought since I am a first user, that the curve would suit me much better.

I've had the phone for about a week, and I really love it. There's just some questions I have.

I don't want to sound dumb per se, because since I am completely new at blackberry and data plans, some stuff that doesn't seem normal to me might actually be perfectly normal.

Anyways, I had three different SMS text messages from today from three different senders. Say I opened sender 1, then sender 2, then tried to open sender 1 again, it wouldn't open at all. This confused me and just didn't seem right?

Also, my battery was pretty bad to start out with but now I realized the battery pulls and closing your apps (thanks to these forums!) so that's getting a lot better.

I noticed a bit of lag on my phone where I would just be doing something simple such as scrolling through my menu screen and the trackpad/phone would just freeze for about 30 seconds. This puzzled me.

I know sometimes micro sd cards are the problem. I have a 2 GB installed.

I deleted all my themes, apps I didn't use, and caches. Should I be deleting emails also?

Sorry this post is so long, I'll probably have more questions soon anyways :p

Thank you!

Ps- this isn't really a question that can be answered, but my L key, out of the box is just sticky and only works half the time I press it and I have to press the top half. It's really obnoxious, is there a way to fix this?

Last edited by fs27; 03-02-2010 at 08:45 PM..
Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Did the battery pull itself fix the sms issue? Be sure to pull it out with the phone on

How many emails could you have gotten in a week that would make your phone lag? I know if you keep too many too long it can cause issues, but I don't think that is the issue because you have had it a short time.

You should get your phone swapped, it could be defective. Since one of the keys is not working and you are having general hardware issues, you may want to check the stores policy on swaps. Make sure you backup first before doing so though!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
fs27

Well, I did a battery pull and the SMS issue was still happening. I got fed up and just erased all the messages.

I've probably gotten 25 emails, I'm not sure if that'd make it lag. I don't think so. I deleted browser cache, closed all apps, and the phone is running a little faster which is good.

Overall though, the phone feels very creaky to me. I read other places that this model has that. If I'm just holding it in my hand or pressing any buttons, the back and sides just creak so much it's so annoying. Basically, if I take off the plastic back (the part that's covering the battery) the phone hardly creaks anymore. Except the bottom part that says verizon creaks a lot. Is this normal?

I know I could bring it back but it's under my parents name and they'd have to pay restock fee and all this junk so I don't know if I should just deal with it?

Last edited by fs27; 03-03-2010 at 07:36 AM..
Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You should only pay a restock fee if returning it for good, not exchanging it.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
TreeDude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPn4S
PIN: 76E5A626

You will have to have a lot more than 25 emails for them to cause you problems. I have an older 8830 and I can keep a ton of emails on it with out any memory issues. It is apps it can't handle many of.

But the 8530 has 256mb of memory, which is quite a bit. If you are having freezing issues already I would exchange it.

BES was decommissioned. Currently using iPhones with Lotus Notes Traveler 9.0.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

A restock fee will sometimes being charged when exchanging it, depending on the carrier and where you went. I don't know too much about the rules as I only did dealer support and often heard the dealers discussing these things. I heard one charge a restock fee to a customer for bringing back the phone sticky.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
fs27

I've returned phones before at the location I go to. They charge $25 restocking fee and then you just pay for the new phone you want or whatever.

Verizon has the curve 8530, tour 9630, and storm. Which do you think is the best blackberry that will give me the least problems and is built quality is a little better than my 8530?
Closed Thread