Carrier: Cingular
Default Idea Matrix for Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Idea Matrix for Blackberry

Date reviewed: 04/05/06
Verison reviewed: 2006.03.19
Price as reviewed: 59.95
========================================

Hi again everyone. As I stated from the thread, "Todo Matrix for Blackberry", I bring you a review for Idea Matrix. Also from rexwireless.com. With virtually the same layout as the Todo Matrix, the tree-branch view can be a little confusing for first time users. Idea Matrix is aimed at the individual who stays very organized and wants a versatile database to store their "good ideas".

As with the Todo Matrix, the hot keys are listed below for quick functionality. With rexwireless's current version, there does not seem to be a way to collapse the branches that you currently don't want to view (making the view easier and clearer). The color of the database is a brick red (or so) and is a feature that cannot be changed. Upon entering a folder, you are presented with more drab colors. The highlighted idea is highlighted in black with white letters and the unselected ideas are creme colored with black lettering.

In the edit screen of an idea, you are presented with a pretty basic format. There is a private option, an alert option, and the subject area. The alert options given are set-quick or set-date. I like this option, because it adds further versatility to the program. The set-quick option can be set in varying increments from 5 mins to 6 weeks. The set-date option is pretty much self explanitory if you ask me!

In this example I set an alert for 5 mins. The alert functioned decently. I was on my home screen watching and waiting for the alert. The device vibrated fairly strongly and a pop up screen gave me options similar to a task or calendar appointment, with snooze, dismiss, ect..

The back up option, back up to web, was quick (so quick I didnt have time to take a screen shot). The restore from web option was nice, but did take a little bit longer. I like the idea that I can back my items up a web based system, but wonder how secure or stable that is for my infomation.

The backup notification screen:

And the restore option processing my request:

Overall, this program is nice and I can see the functionality for someone who is constantly on the go and wants to keep his/her ideas organized and on file. The standard memo program in my opinion does not do the blackberry justice. I feel that the todo matrix was worth the $50+, but the idea matrix might be a little overpriced due to the demand of an application like this.

Overall it earned 3 out of 5 blackberrys from me:

Enjoy!

Last edited by coreyg510; 04-05-2006 at 07:18 PM..
Old 04-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO

Thanks for the review.

ideaMatrix was created to allow a person to consolidate all the notes that are currently on post-its and scraps of paper and make them quickly accessable at a moments notice on the BlackBerry - its not just for ideas, but basically anything that doesn't fit well on the calendar or todo list (or even todoMatrix

We really focused on making the freeform "find" function fast - fast enough to pull up notes while on the phone with someone. We really look at the indy*Search find feature - in addition to the underlying database engine - as the core of the application.

As far as collapse-ability of folders and drawers, this is coming soon in a point release and will be free for all registered users.

To answer your other observation re: backups, we encrypt the ideaMatrix data on the backup servers using triple-DES encryption.

Once again, thanks for evaluating ideaMatrix. We look forward to future comments and participating in BlackBerryForums.com.

the REXguys

Last edited by rexguys; 04-18-2006 at 08:01 PM..
Old 04-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Hey guys!! Overall I think you have a very good idea and great applications that have room for improvement. Its good to know that if I want to back something up, its safe and sound! I would recommend this application to anyone who runs a hectic life. It is not something that I have an immediate need for in my life, but I will keep it in mind.

PS. my reviews are a little rough right now, but I will be doing more and with more experience, I will revise my exsisting reviews. Thanks for creating a good app.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default New version of ideaMatrix available (2006.05.11)

We have posted a new version of ideaMatrix on REXwireless.com.

It adds the functionality we promised in our previous post above plus some other niceties.

Highlights of ideaMatrix 2006.05.11 Enhancements

1) Expand and Collapse Drawers

2) Drag and Drop rearrangement of Drawers in the Cabinet

3) Drag and Drop rearrangement of Folders in a Drawer

4) Hot*Keys have been remapped to better accomodate the differences between the 8700, 72xx, and 7100 BlackBerry units

5) New TCP Normal support option to help people kick the WAP habit (TCP is faster and more reliable)

6) A number of small enhancements and fixes such as Copy to Clipboard, more Quick*Date choices, etc.

Upgrade (or download the free trial if you are only using todoMatrix) Over-the-Air using your BlackBerry Browser:

1) Find a good cell signal

2) Do a [Backup to Web] inside ideaMatrix

3) Browse to REXwireless.com/download

4) Download ideaMatrix and reboot

5) Have fun today - life is too short not to...

- the REXguys

Last edited by rexguys; 05-19-2006 at 10:57 AM..
Old 05-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
alslsb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon

It looks like a gret product however the price is a bit steep ...
Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default New version of ideaMatrix available (2006.07.03)

FYI, version 2006.07.03 is available for download.

This version includes a number of small enhancements, but the primary improvement is an all new alert pop-up window that is superior in every way to the older model.

Over-the-air downloading is available by pointing your BlackBerry browser to rexwireless.com/download

Thanks,

REXwireless
Old 08-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

REXwireless: You guys may want to standardize the naming convention of your applications (todoMatrix vs. ToDoMatrix and ideaMatrix vs. IdeaMatrix). Also, why does the About IdeaMatrix menu selection notes indicate that latest IdeaMatrix (v2006.07.03 imx) is Beta code? Are there inherent beta code risks involved with the latest revision?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default tasks, to-do's et al...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlau
REXwireless: You guys may want to standardize the naming convention of your applications (todoMatrix vs. ToDoMatrix and ideaMatrix vs. IdeaMatrix). Also, why does the About IdeaMatrix menu selection notes indicate that latest IdeaMatrix (v2006.07.03 imx) is Beta code? Are there inherent beta code risks involved with the latest revision?
We weren't smart enough when we named the product - there was a moment where we were choosing between taskMatrix and todoMatrix. We chose todoMatrix but later found out a lot of people (especially in Spanish speaking countries) were reading todo as one word meaning "all"... so then came the extra capitalization... but we don't want to change to taskMatrix now.

The beta flag remains on our releases as long as they are changing quickly with new updates and enhancements. Right now, the list of enhancements on both todoMatrix and ideaMatrix is still very long - we expect an update once every six weeks for the rest of the year. We have found that "Beta" flag helps motivate people to report issues, which helps us build better products.

Thanks,

the REXguys
Old 08-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

IM Suggestions:

1. Allow users to rename (although not delete) the "All" cabinet.
2. Allow users to hide (not merely collapse) "System" and "View" drawers.
3. Remove the "IdeaMatrix" title bar as it reduces precious screen real estate.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Thanks!

We will discuss your suggestions at our next customer suggestion meeting. Really appreciate it.

FYI, just to make sure we don't miss them, these are best sent to:
product.suggestions at rexwireless.com
Old 08-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

IM Suggestions:

4. "Stop IdeaMatrix" does not re-enable auto backups if auto backups was previously disabled.
5. Marking a note private displays a subject so that private notes in the same folder can be differentiated.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 AM   #12
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

IM Suggestions:

6. Setting to automatically create a new note upon application start for an immediate note on the run. Such notes can be filed to the "System > Unfiled" folder, or a default folder of user choice.

7. A shortcut to [save]. This is an often used command which requires two clicks of the thumbwheel to perform. Replace the two clicks with a keypad shortcut. [save] and not [save] accomodates SureType devices.

Last edited by adamlau; 08-08-2006 at 10:59 AM..
Old 08-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #13
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

ETA on a point release update?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #14
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

FYI, REXdesktop is now generally available for ideaMatrix 2007.

-- the REXguys
Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #15
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default SI-1 Release Now Available

We have released the highly-anticipated SI-1 version of ideaMatrix.

Please see the post at:
REXwireless SI-1 Announcement

Thanks,

--the REXguys
Old 03-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #16
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

thanks for the review. although i have to disagree with your overall rating. this is the most polished set of programs i have ever seen for the blackberry, and pretty much any platform. it's very 'crack'berry oriented, speedy and instant. works very well with excellent shortcut and functionality. the price, is in keeping with quality program. of course it may not be of use to you for the price, but that's a different issue. a 3 out 5 is selling it way short, imho.
the way one can instantly file emails is amazing.
i do wish there were subfolders levels available in ideamatrix.
and more alert options if todomatrix.
but i have a question to anyone here or the developers that i've noticed hover around this thread.
security on the server - you say triple des. can you give us more details. i am having some hesitation over storing sensitive material.
if the file is encyrpted, what about when it's syncing, is it exposed then.
and on your server, what is your security policy.
i do think this should also be officially stated on your website and noted in part of the description of the program.
thanks in advance, and i do think this is one of the best kept secrets out there right now. it's a killer app!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #17
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default RE: IdeaMatrix and General Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmutzBerry
thanks for the review. although i have to disagree with your overall rating. this is the most polished set of programs i have ever seen for the blackberry, and pretty much any platform. it's very 'crack'berry oriented, speedy and instant. works very well with excellent shortcut and functionality. the price, is in keeping with quality program. of course it may not be of use to you for the price, but that's a different issue. a 3 out 5 is selling it way short, imho.
the way one can instantly file emails is amazing.
i do wish there were subfolders levels available in ideamatrix.
and more alert options if todomatrix.
but i have a question to anyone here or the developers that i've noticed hover around this thread.
security on the server - you say triple des. can you give us more details. i am having some hesitation over storing sensitive material.
if the file is encyrpted, what about when it's syncing, is it exposed then.
and on your server, what is your security policy.
i do think this should also be officially stated on your website and noted in part of the description of the program.
thanks in advance, and i do think this is one of the best kept secrets out there right now. it's a killer app!
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, a lot of people really love ideaMatrix, but, because it is so freeform on data entry and search, we think that people don't always "get" what they will use it for when they first read about it.

In response to your questions, we have added a greater level of detail re: security on our frequently asked questions today - see this link - REXwireless Support / Frequently Asked Questions.

We did an informal and definately not very scientific sampling of users to ask how they use their ideaMatrix.

In addition to the ideaMatrix's primary mission of instant-recall "Post-it Notes" and ideas on your BlackBerry, top ten uses included:
1) Customer Relationship Management Information [Sales Professionals]
2) Personal Journal / Accomplishment Log
3) Student Note Taking in Class [Classroom Education]
4) Comprehensive Conversations Log
5) Medical Reference Information for Doctors [Medical Industry]
6) Investment Opportunity and Note Tracker [Investment Professionals]
7) Time log / logging [for Lawyers / Legal Industry (and billable consultants)]
8) Fitness / Workout Diary
9) Diet / Food Intake Tracker
10) Light Reader for Book and Magazine Article Summaries

Maybe we need to start a post entitled "Why do you love IdeaMatrix?" to go with RIM's recent BlackBerry ad campaign

Thanks,

--the REXguys