BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default New OS install, now things are weird.

Please Login to Remove!

I'm on a T-Mobile branded 8800 with T-Mobile service. I was getting Java errors randomly and text messages were freezing on the homescreen like they were unread, even after they were deleted. It would only clear after a battery pull. So I decided to do an OS re-install. I downloaded the latest, followed all the instructions and my T-Mobile branded 8800 is back up and running. There are a couple things however that I don't understand. The first being, it deleted my owner information, and now it won't let me type anything in there. It's really weird. This is something that is very important to me if I were to lose my BB (BES locks the unit after 5 minutes and the owner information is displayed). Secondly, after installing Opera Mini on my new OS, i'm getting the stupid uncaught exception java error again. I don't know if the text message ghost is fixed, but the error that I was getting (once again an uncaught exception java error) when I would dial any number starting with 6 is fixed.

I guess my main thing, is after wiping and reinstalling the OS, I'm still getting screw ups. What doesn't make sense is that these screw ups are obviously software related and reinstalling the OS should have fixed them. Some were fixed, but now I'm faced with others. This is getting very frustrating.

Last edited by IanHummel; 07-13-2007 at 07:38 AM..
Old 07-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
IanHummel

76 views and no replies. Wonderful

Last edited by IanHummel; 07-13-2007 at 01:22 PM..
Old 07-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
clydefrog

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I have the same java exception error. It started when I rebooted after installing the calendar patch. It doesn't appear to actually affect the phone though
Old 07-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
IanHummel

The SMS ghosting is really getting annoying! I have to do a battery pull 4-5x a day. Any ideas? Does anyone else have this problem with the Dimension Today theme?

Last edited by IanHummel; 07-14-2007 at 06:16 PM..
Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHummel View Post
76 views and no replies. Wonderful
You need to give any forum site more than 30 minutes...
Old 07-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
IanHummel

In addition to what I said above, it won't let me type in my owner information. Is anyone else experiencing issues like this? I don't understand how it can just be my 8800.... If an OS wipe and reinstall doesn't work, then I don't know what will.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
joespys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

well i notice the sms ghosting only appears when the phone is locked or very close to once you read your message.

Once you go BlackBerry! !
AT&T Wireless > Cingular > AT&T
Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
IanHummel

So this is a known issue and there's nothing to do to fix it? You'd think RIM would release something to fix this. I get a lot of TXT messages and am on my companies BES that locks the device after 5 minutes, and having to take off my rubberized case and pull the battery numerious times a day is getting very annoying.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
grimace006
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: 24B40AFO
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Only Solution

The only resolution to this issue is to WAIT TILL THE UPDATE IS AVAILABLE FROM T-MOBILE ON THEIR WEBSITE. NEVER INSTALL SOMETHING THAT YOU FOUND ONLINE ARE YOU CRAZY. THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW FOR THE 8800.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
parisot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace006 View Post
The only resolution to this issue is to WAIT TILL THE UPDATE IS AVAILABLE FROM T-MOBILE ON THEIR WEBSITE. NEVER INSTALL SOMETHING THAT YOU FOUND ONLINE ARE YOU CRAZY. THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW FOR THE 8800.
Actually yes there is an update and he installed it, I'm not sure what you’re trying to say... The download that he is using is released from Vodafone, I highly doubt that Vodafone is going to intentionally release bad OS's to their customers

@ IanHummel

I have also been having problems with this release, although they are not the same problems... I think tonight I am going to revert to a previous released OS.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
IanHummel

Well, the SMS ghosting issue, the java errors and not dialing numbers starting with a 6 from the home screen were all original T-Mobile OS releases. After updating the OS the home screen issue went away, but then the issue of not being able to edit "owner information" issue appeared. In the end, I think my unit may just be flakey, T-Mobile is sending me a new one.

grimace006, please think before you type. You obviously have no clue about software upgrades and known BB issues, so go back to the media forum and continue downloading wallpapers.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
bikerchick

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Proximus (Belgium)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHummel View Post
Well, the SMS ghosting issue, the java errors and not dialing numbers starting with a 6 from the home screen were all original T-Mobile OS releases. After updating the OS the home screen issue went away, but then the issue of not being able to edit "owner information" issue appeared. In the end, I think my unit may just be flakey, T-Mobile is sending me a new one.

grimace006, please think before you type. You obviously have no clue about software upgrades and known BB issues, so go back to the media forum and continue downloading wallpapers.

I've had those java errors too on my brand-spanking-new 8800. The problem started after I decided to create groups in my address book (girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, ex-ex-girlfriends... ..ok, just kidding)
My phone worked fine for about 12 hours after creating the groups, then decided to die on me after I made a phone call.
It just kept hanging (have you ever tried to run WinXP on a PII with 32 Mb of RAM? That's how slow it was), and even the good old battery reset trick wouldn't do it.
After unsuccessfully trying to get it to work by hooking it up to my laptop and trying a restore I decided to do a full reinstall of the OS.
The phone's worked fine for a week ago, except for one occurance of this weird ghost text message on the home screen. A battery reset did clear that nasty little bugger though.
And yes, I am using the Dimension Today theme.
Closed Thread