Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Anniee

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Can't install Desktop Manager Software

Please Login to Remove!

I dropped my iPhone in a small body of water about 1.5 weeks ago and I have been hating my life ever since. I decided to replace the iPhone with a smart phone that had buttons and ended up with a Torch. The first Torch I tried was a dud... the touch screen didn't work. I took it back to the store and the nice sales-lady confirmed that it didn't work but would not go as far as to say I was not crazy.

Now I have just burned a whole weekend trying to install the desktop manager so I can sync my audiobooks, music, pictures, ect. I have tried using both the disk that came with the phone and downloading the software. I've installed it a total of three times. All three times, when I go to run the software, I get an error that says "BlackBerry Desktop Software has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." It then gives me the totally useless option of telling Windows about the issue.

I'm about 80% convinced that this is a registry issue and I need to chuck my computer out the Window and go give Best Buy yet another one of my paychecks for a new one, but on the off chance that someone else has had this problem and has a clue how to fix it, I'd sure be interested in what you have to say.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

~Anniee
Old 08-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I can't really help witht he desktop manager problem, but there may be another option available for you to put your media on the device, and sort of the desktop manager problem later.

Go into the device options and enable mass storage mode. Set the prompt as you desire. Then connect to the computer with the USB cable and use my computer to copy over the files that you want on the media card.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Try turning off the anti virus until it's installed. Do not go anywhere until you turn it back on. Also do not have any other applications( IM, internet etc.) running at the time.
Also the old install may be corrupted and still be on the computer. Try removing the application totally using the software removal tool on the PC operating system. Download a new copy or use one last downloaded.
Try one of the registry cleaning tools from CCleaner. This tool will remove all unnecessary cookies and other temporary files. Also it has a registry cleaner to clean out broken links in the registry. It's free.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Anniee

Thanks Ira! It doesn't seem to like the audiobooks from Audible but I have music back in my life again.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Anniee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Try turning off the anti virus until it's installed. Do not go anywhere until you turn it back on. Also do not have any other applications( IM, internet etc.) running at the time.
Also the old install may be corrupted and still be on the computer. Try removing the application totally using the software removal tool on the PC operating system. Download a new copy or use one last downloaded.
Try one of the registry cleaning tools from CCleaner. This tool will remove all unnecessary cookies and other temporary files. Also it has a registry cleaner to clean out broken links in the registry. It's free.
That sounds like a job for Super-Hubby... except I broke him last weekend by asking for a hard-wood floor. I'll take a look at this and see if I can get it to dance. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

tsac's idea of using CCleaner is a good one. I've used it and can recommend it. Just use the default settings. And turning off A/V for the time being is also a good idea, though all these years I've never had to do it.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-29-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Old 08-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I suggested the AV as a last thought. I have had it react on some app installs.
Reminds me , I have to put down a floor also. Maybe it's a conspiracy of the wives.

Last edited by tsac; 08-29-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Old 08-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
Anniee

Stupid wives anyway.... Hardwood floors are harder than the commercials lead you to believe. No way did that dumb blond install floors in her whole home in one weekend.

I'll keep you posted on the install... I thank you both.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
leo_dublin

Model: 9105
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Re: Can't install Desktop Manager Software

I have the same issue here...

Using Windows XP SP 2.

After the installation of the Desktop Manager Software v6.0, I double click on the icon and i always get this message:

"BlackBerry Desktop Software has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have no Outlook running in my PC.

Anyone can spare a solution?

Thanks in advance! :D
Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
kgagne

Model: 8300
Carrier: Verizon

I would try to install the 5.0 version of the desktop manager. We have had issues with 6.0.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
padamssm

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Did you try the "switch to mass storage" suggestion? I gave up long ago using Desktop Manager for moving my audio, video, photos, audiobooks, etc. to my Storm 1. It's so easy to drag-and-drop with the BB being just another storage device (using Win XP Pro).

I listen to audiobooks on my Storm all the time and I love the Audible app. It lets me pick up in the book exactly where I left off, and syncs well with the computer.

I use the Desktop Manager to sync my contacts and calendar, and for backups. That works well.

Patricia
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
DPSkiman

Carrier: AT&T

Make sure you have administrative privilages before trying to load the Desktop Manager.
Closed Thread