BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #21
vinniet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

I would have a option to remove the Low Signal warning popup. Being in a area that goes in and out of full strength, it gets anoying OK the box.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #22
keithc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCapt10
You also need to remove the Ramble module from Options -> Applications -> Modules, this is persistant after removing just the application. After doing this mine works fine.

-David
I did this and reinstalled and still no joy. It goes to Logging in, please wait to Reconnecting, please wait and then stays there. I can't use the Device TCP option. I have a 7100g using the proxy APN.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #23
Rambler

Model: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithc
I did this and reinstalled and still no joy. It goes to Logging in, please wait to Reconnecting, please wait and then stays there. I can't use the Device TCP option. I have a 7100g using the proxy APN.
Have you rebooted your device since the re-install? I had a similar issue earlier which I attributed to an invalid MDS connection. Fixed itself after a reboot.

Also, do you have TCP configured and a v3.8+ OS?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #24
fungusmud
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

ISSUE: It appears that the auto away function requires a reboot of the rim or a cycle of the program to get it to acknowledge a setting change. Adding to buglist.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #25
emrys01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t

"buddy pounces" would be cool to have.

need global option settings for
  • (not) forcing previous logins offline
  • always using timestamp
i've noticed that i almost always have to work my way through a "Malformed address" error, the first time i attempt to log in. (the second time, it works correctly.)

Last edited by emrys01; 05-11-2005 at 03:22 PM..
Old 05-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #26
romeo0119

Carrier: tmobile

Is any one getting a "tone" notify sound? when i select vibrate it works but when i select tone, it doesnt alert me or anything. When i select tone and vibrate only the vibrate function work. Anyone experiencing this or it's just me?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #27
fungusmud

Emrys01,
Thanks for the input...

Notification popup/sound on buddy signon will be added to the feature request list.

I believe the timestamp is global and persistant (maybe not accross reboots, but appears to be across all sessions)

Allowing multiple logins is already in the feature list.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:19 PM   #28
impdust

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default How I setup my 7100t

For those with a 7100t that it's not working for, this is what I did to finally get it to work:

1) Go to http://wireless.sra.com/ramble/
2) Click on download
3) Accept the agreement, enter your email address, and click "Submit"
4) Stare at the ceiling for awhile
5) Check your email and you should have the link to the over-the-air download
6) Get that link
7) Download the application
8) Don't bother to run it when it's done downloading. It probably won't work.
9) Go into Tools -> Settings -> TCP
10) Set the APN to wap.voicestream.com
11) Set the Username to your T-Mobile username (probably your phone number)
12) Set the password to you T-Mobile password (same username and password you use to login to http://www.t-mobile.com )
13) Save it
14) Go into Tools -> Settings -> SRA Ramble
15) Make sure "Netowrk Connection:" is set to "Device Default"
16) Save it
17) Go into Applications -> Ramble IM
18) Enter your AOL Login
19) Enter your password
20) Check Auto-Login if you want
21) Click on "Submit"
22) If you get an error try and login a couple more times, if not then pat your self on the back you're logged in
23) If it still doesn't work then open up your browser and go to a web page. I prefer google, but it doesn't matter. Once the page opens switch back over and try to login again. Don't ask me why it works, but it does.

Long winded but it's real simple. Setup the APN, even if you never needed it before, then run Ramble.

Last edited by impdust; 05-11-2005 at 03:27 PM..
Old 05-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #29
fungusmud

Romeo... I sometimes get the sound, sometimes do not. Can't reproduce it consistently. Will continue to tinker.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #30
emrys01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungusmud
Emrys01,
Thanks for the input...
hey, no charge! ;)

Quote:
Notification popup/sound on buddy signon will be added to the feature request list.
eggselent.

Quote:
I believe the timestamp is global and persistant (maybe not accross reboots, but appears to be across all sessions)
hmm... i'll look at it more closely. a persistent option setting would still be a good idea... i'm in the habit of always having it on, in case i walk away from my PC... would like to have that same capability here.

Quote:
Allowing multiple logins is already in the feature list.
doh... sorry, didn't check there, first.

note that i updated my previous post with the following bug report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrys01
i've noticed that i almost always have to work my way through a "Malformed address" error, the first time i attempt to log in. (the second time, it works correctly.)
Old 05-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #31
keithc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
Have you rebooted your device since the re-install? I had a similar issue earlier which I attributed to an invalid MDS connection. Fixed itself after a reboot.

Also, do you have TCP configured and a v3.8+ OS?
Thanks Rambler,
OK, I powered down, removed the battery and SIM card. Counted to 10, put it all back together and powered up. Same thing. Goes from Logging in to reconnecting and stays there. I removed the APN in TCP so I am all through BES and still no change. And Verichat works. I have 4.0.0.219 OS.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #32
fungusmud

Emrys01,
I'll leaving the network bugs up to ramble to investigate and add to the bug-list since I'm not that familiar with the different units and their network issues. Regarding the timestamp - it appears to be stored as long as the conversation is in memory - so you can enable and disable at will, even though it's tracking the time information when disabled (will display upon enable.)

Last edited by fungusmud; 05-11-2005 at 03:52 PM..
Old 05-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #33
emrys01
Thumbs Must Hurt

bug - brand new screen name, attempting to add a buddy to my list results in immediate termination of the app. no message, no nuttin', just an immediate return to the menu.

"List buddies = new ArrayList();", anyone? ;)

sending a message from another screen name, and attempting to add that name to the list results in a more gracefully-handled error.

no way to add a new group, that i can see.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #34
fungusmud

Lightbulb

Emrys01,
Can you reproduce the add new buddy option crash? It works fine on mine.

--Dan

Quote:
bug - brand new screen name, attempting to add a buddy to my list results in immediate termination of the app. no message, no nuttin', just an immediate return to the menu.

"List buddies = new ArrayList();", anyone? ;)

sending a message from another screen name, and attempting to add that name to the list results in a more gracefully-handled error.

no way to add a new group, that i can see.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #35
emrys01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Emrys01,
Can you reproduce the add new buddy option crash? It works fine on mine.
sadly, every single time. i remain buddy-less! can't add a buddy unprompted, can't add a buddy who's just sent an IM, nada.

and now, i'm seeing a sitch where the BB appears to be logged in, but my doesn't show up as logged in on my normal login's buddy list on my PC. methinks a reboot is in order...

(i would strongly suggest that you generate a persistent log file, and provide a menu option to email the log file back to SRA. at least while it's still in beta.)
Old 05-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #36
Rambler

Quote:
sadly, every single time. i remain buddy-less! can't add a buddy unprompted, can't add a buddy who's just sent an IM, nada.

and now, i'm seeing a sitch where the BB appears to be logged in, but my doesn't show up as logged in on my normal login's buddy list on my PC. methinks a reboot is in order...

(i would strongly suggest that you generate a persistent log file, and provide a menu option to email the log file back to SRA. at least while it's still in beta.)
You're correct. You cannot start with an empty buddy list, you must at least have one buddy and group. This is a known issue. Login to an AIM desktop client, add a buddy, then log out, go back to Ramble, add mroe buddies to the same group.

I'm considering the addition of an 'Email Plug-in' This would be a piece of software separate from Ramble that would install and listen for 'notifications' from Ramble. If the plug-in gets such a notification, it could email. This would provide email capability and still not _require_ the additional lib to function.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Rambler; 05-11-2005 at 04:24 PM..
Old 05-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #37
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithc
Thanks Rambler,
OK, I powered down, removed the battery and SIM card. Counted to 10, put it all back together and powered up. Same thing. Goes from Logging in to reconnecting and stays there. I removed the APN in TCP so I am all through BES and still no change. And Verichat works. I have 4.0.0.219 OS.
Sounds like you're on an MDS system (otherwise it wouldn't complain when you tried 'Use Device TCP'). If you're on an MDS system, you might be running into a firewall issue. Have you tried browsing to toc.oscar.aol.com:1290 from IE? If so, did it pop-up quick buddy?

Check with your admin(s) to make sure you can connect to that host from your MDS server.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #38
akuracls

Model: 7820

If I use the Device TCP, if fails saying I can't have a connection both inside and outside the firewall because it is against IT policy. how do i fix this? it doesn't work the with other method, it gives me the IPPP thing. I'm on AT&T
Old 05-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #39
emrys01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
You're correct. You cannot start with an empty buddy list, you must at least have one buddy and group. This is a known issue. Login to an AIM desktop client, add a buddy, then log out, go back to Ramble, add mroe buddies to the same group.
okay, sorry, i didn't see that bug listed... but i honestly gave the feature requests & known bug lists only a cursory glance. (you'd think a developer would pay more attention, wouldn't you? ;)

Quote:
I'm considering the addition of an 'Email Plug-in' This would be a piece of software separate from Ramble that would install and listen for 'notifications' from Ramble. If the plug-in gets such a notification, it could email. This would provide email capability and still not _require_ the additional lib to function.

Thoughts?
absolutely. anything that gives you more information in trying to figure out a user's issue is a Very Good Thing. i've got about 100 users of the application i wrote, here at work, and there's not one of them you would call "computer savvy". i can't tell you how many times i've gotten bug reports no more detailed than "i clicked the Search button, and it didn't work."

you've got a bunch of willing beta testers here, and they'd love to go through a few hoops to help you get the app fully debugged (and, if you don't mind my saying so, it's "bugs before features" just in case there was any doubt). while you're still getting this thing off the ground, i don't think anyone's going to object to having some extra modules or whatever loaded onto their BB.

'specially not when it's as functional and useful as it is, even at this pre-official-release stage.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #40
keithc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Sounds like you're on an MDS system (otherwise it wouldn't complain when you tried 'Use Device TCP'). If you're on an MDS system, you might be running into a firewall issue. Have you tried browsing to toc.oscar.aol.com:1290 from IE? If so, did it pop-up quick buddy?

Check with your admin(s) to make sure you can connect to that host from your MDS server.
I can't ping it or access that host on IE or the BB, but I'm on AIM right now.
Closed Thread