Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #21
esfoad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30B42B94
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

I'll chime in here too. I bought my Tour during week 2 (I was on the road when the Tour was introduced) and I have had no issues with it at all. Great device. I'll be due for something new in April 2011 and I am interested to see the progression of the technology as we move forward.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
greeneink
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TOUR
Carrier: Verizon

You can count me as a lucky one. I bought my Tour on day one and have had no problems whatsoever, excluding the battery door and I consider that a very minor issue. I consider my phone to be top-notch.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #23
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
I agree. The trackball has been an issue (from what everyone has posted lately) but the trackpad is the future of RIM. The trackpad hasn't had any issues (from the posts I haven't seen and Verizon tech input). Yes, there will be problems with WiFi initially with the new devices (such as the Storm 2) but will be fixed, easily with a OTA update. Overall, the Tour is a good device and RIM has fixed the issues with it. The Tour 2 will have the updated fixes along with the newer options (WiFi, trackpad, 5.0).

Overall, if you are on your 4th Tour than you are abusing your phone or something. My wife and several friends of mine bought their Tour's the first day and not one of them have returned theirs. Sounds like to me that you need to switch to a different phone that you can throw around.

No, I do not abuse my phone. I am quite particular with my phone and do not, as you say "throw it around". I use screen protectors and silicone covers to protect it from minor scratches from everyday use. I am on my 4th Tour because I have had trackball issues as well as problems with the phones periodically rebooting themselves and repeated lengthy screen freezes.

I do not understand how you address the fact that the Tour has had proven trackball issues and conclude because I have had to have 3 replacements that I am abusing my phone. And yes there are others who got a good one the 1st time and have had no replacements but others on the forums are like myself and have had several replacements.

Last edited by shoppergirl; 11-01-2009 at 12:05 AM..
Old 11-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #24
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Just wondering how many people out there that have the Tour are going to be PO'd because RIM is releasing the Tour 2 with trackpad and WiFi?
With my Tour I can send and receive email, browse the web, talk to people, take pictures and video, and many other wonderful things that help get me through a busy business day. Oh, and my track ball has worked just fine since day one. The thirst of today's consumer when it comes to technology is unrelenting. If a company wishes to compete is this market it must always innovate and that is what RIM attempts to do. For me the track pad and WiFi can wait. It just gives me something to look forward to.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #25
jkrieger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

This reminds me of the old Gateway Computer TV commercial. A guy was driving in a convertible all smiles patting on a brand new Gateway PC box sitting on the passenger box besides him, only to notice a worker plastering a new Gateway model advertisement over the previous one he just bought on the big billboard.

Thats life, I guess. Damned if you wait, damned if you buy, technology always moves ahead with or without you.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #26
djdonnyk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9850
PIN: 32FDED**
Carrier: Sprint/Now Network

It won't bother me as I am always on 3G so no need for WIFI....
Old 11-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #27
awdwhip

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdonnyk View Post
It won't bother me as I am always on 3G so no need for WIFI....
3G is over rated. Home wifi is the way to go.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #28
island-guy

PIN: 30B8F630
Carrier: Sprint

Well....I'm kinda peeved because my Tour will not be the latest and greatest anymore. I'm not too fond of the trackball but do like to be able to use it with gloves on. Now give me a four way like my old Nintendo Gameboy and I will be set!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #29
scottd.home
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VERIZON
Default Tour 2 release?

Any idea when the Tour 2 will be released to Verizon? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #30
scottd.home
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VERIZON
Default Tour2 Arrival?

Any "buzz" on when Verizon will release the Tour2?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #31
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
....Overall, if you are on your 4th Tour than you are abusing your phone or something. My wife and several friends of mine bought their Tour's the first day and not one of them have returned theirs. Sounds like to me that you need to switch to a different phone that you can throw around.
RedSoxFan,
You couldn't be more wrong than you are right now.
I'm on my third Tour, both previous devices were returned for the trackball issue. I've never dropped my device or abused it in anyway. I've always had a protective case on my devices and I'm anal about protecting it, heck I paid enough money for it.
Prior to this expereince, I've never had to return a device, and I've had many over the years, over-all they've been stellar devices, rock solid. Just because your wife and thier friends didn't get caught by the 25% that were defective doesn't mean that people are abusing them. It just means that your wife and her friends got lucky and didnt get one in that 25%.

People aren't abusing or "throwing around" thier devices. RIM had a problem, either in engineering or in manufacture of the track balls for the Tour and they've allowed users to return the devices for replacement.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #32
RedSoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseNYC View Post
RedSoxFan,
I'm on my third Tour, both previous devices were returned for the trackball issue. I've never dropped my device or abused it in anyway. I've always had a protective case on my devices and I'm anal about protecting it, heck I paid enough money for it.
Prior to this expereince, I've never had to return a device, and I've had many over the years, over-all they've been stellar devices, rock solid. Just because your wife and thier friends didn't get caught by the 25% that were defective doesn't mean that people are abusing them. It just means that your wife and her friends got lucky and didnt get one in that 25%.

People aren't abusing or "throwing around" thier devices. RIM had a problem, either in engineering or in manufacture of the track balls for the Tour and they've allowed users to return the devices for replacement.
So what you are telling me is that this person and YOU have gone through 3-4 Tours? Do you have any idea what the chances are of YOU GETTING that 25% defective Tour for that many times? Hey, I'm not denying that there wasn't a problem when it was first released. However, RIM fixed the issue rather quickly and it is now since vanished. I'm sorry but if you are on your 3rd or 4th Tour, it means you are having issues with the new RIM "fix" for the trackball etc. Maybe you should just send it back and go back to the old phone you were using and never buy a RIM device again.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #33
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon

Quote:
RedSoxFan,

Thanks MooseNYC...I had never had a problem with my previous RIM product. RIM definitely had a problem or else the carrier would not have given me brand new devices everytime I carried in the defective ones. I'm sorry you had problems with your 9630 as well. It is frustrating and for those who got the non-problem ones, they just do not understand the frustration with this.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #34
DC-WiFi.com
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930

Quote:
So what you are telling me is that this person and YOU have gone through 3-4 Tours? Do you have any idea what the chances are of YOU GETTING that 25% defective Tour for that many times? Hey, I'm not denying that there wasn't a problem when it was first released. However, RIM fixed the issue rather quickly and it is now since vanished. I'm sorry but if you are on your 3rd or 4th Tour, it means you are having issues with the new RIM "fix" for the trackball etc. Maybe you should just send it back and go back to the old phone you were using and never buy a RIM device again.
I too am on Tour #4. I think some of us had a spot of bad luck when it came to the devices. All of mine had the bad track ball, one had an awful battery. It's no biggie, my current BB is perfect. I just updated to OS 5 as well.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #35
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

If I get the Tour2, I would only get a 1 yr contract. My sense is that we will see a big jump in technology in 12 mos.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #36
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post
Thanks MooseNYC...I had never had a problem with my previous RIM product. RIM definitely had a problem or else the carrier would not have given me brand new devices everytime I carried in the defective ones. I'm sorry you had problems with your 9630 as well. It is frustrating and for those who got the non-problem ones, they just do not understand the frustration with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-WiFi.com View Post
I too am on Tour #4. I think some of us had a spot of bad luck when it came to the devices. All of mine had the bad track ball, one had an awful battery. It's no biggie, my current BB is perfect. I just updated to OS 5 as well.
'Nuff said Thanks to all who have proved my point. I've had a lot of previous BB devices and I plan on staying with their product in the future.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #37
MiataMike

Model: Tour
Default why I would not be po'd at new Tour2 release

Orig post was about who would be "po'd" at new tour 2 coming out.

Sometimes the opposite of good enough is better.......
I am one of the lucky ones that has had his Tour without seeing any trackball issues or battery door problems. I am not due for an upgrade anytime soon - having just gotten this one recently (see my post in Rants and Raves about Verizon). I tend to keep phones for years. I doubt I would upgrade because as I said sometimes the opposite of good enough is better. Meaning there will be bugs in the Tour2 and its OS, or certain apps won't work, or or or or.... If you play with cutting edge technology don't cry if you bleed a little (green dead presidents I mean).

Not sure if wifi is so great, I seem to get better speed tethering my berry at work than I do on its linksys wireless! I am a bit of a newbie so maybe don't know what benefit you think wifi would bring to me.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #38
dshirley79

Carrier: verzion
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post
What I am upset about is that I got the Tour and have had so many problems that I am now on #4 and it needs replacing. So now RIM is going to come out with Tour 2 which addresses and fixes all the problems that I and other Tour users are having but we will not be issued a Tour 2 to replace this faulty junk we have. If RIM would recall these faulty Tour phones for those of us who have already had 3 or more phones and give us one without all the problems, then I would be much happier. My daughter and son have Tours and have had issues with both of theirs. However, our son has not had as many issues as my daughter and myself so he has been the lucky one.

I did not buy the Tour because I had waited for its release. We were Alltel customers and when our daughter had to get another phone, we were told we HAD to upgrade to Verizon phones as well. Since I already had a Blackberry (WE 8830), I wanted another one but this one is not of the same quality that my original BB was.

Verizon has the multiple exchange program...after the 3rd you can make them give you a different type blackberry..just to let you know...i have had to use it already on the curve and the tour.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #39
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think I would try to Storm2 if this one goes bad...

It looks like I was grossly off my mark in my pervious comment about how many of these devices have been returned, I said 25% . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbelt View Post
look like RIM May roll out the Tour 2 as soon as they can. Carriers are report %50 of Tours purchased have been returned... as seen in this PCworld article Analyst: 50% Return Rate for Blackberry Tour - PC World
So RedSoxFan, Imma Let You Finish.... but, what were my chances of getting 2 bad units within the first 30 days?? - i can tell you... I got 'em
Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #40
nytilidie914

Model: 9550

Quote:
I think I would try to Storm2 if this one goes bad...

It looks like I was grossly off my mark in my pervious comment about how many of these devices have been returned, I said 25% . . . .

So RedSoxFan, Imma Let You Finish.... but, what were my chances of getting 2 bad units within the first 30 days?? - i can tell you... I got 'em
i got 3 bad units in 2 and a half months....
Closed Thread