Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post
Ok, so here are two options I can think of:
1) A Solid color square (maybe a circle?) that the temperature can be written onto.
2) Copy a 32x32 png image file onto your device, either onto the SDCard or system memory, and select it in the BBWeather options. BBWeather will then try and use that as its temperature icon. If it fails it can go back to the current blue square looking icon or option 1 above.

Do either of those sound ok? Or do you have something else in mind?
Either would work, but I like the custom .png file on the memory card... gives me full control... and you could always fall back to the blue "tv set" image.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #42
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonnerNIX View Post
That's strange, because if you use the wudnerground mobile site it shows you when sunrise/sunset will be, along with moon phase, etc. You'd certainly think it would be available in the background for you use as well.

I currently use wunderground, but will give your updated GPS weather app a test shortly.

It is very much appreciated!
I absolutely agree.

The user already has control of the font, but not sure about the size without looking at the config screen...
Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #43
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Font size is not currently an option for the homescreen icon. It does some auto figure-it-out stuff to always make the font as big as possible for the space it needs to fit into. "11" will usually be written in a larger font than "110" because it is not as wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonnerNIX View Post
That's strange, because if you use the wudnerground mobile site it shows you when sunrise/sunset will be, along with moon phase, etc. You'd certainly think it would be available in the background for you use as well.
They provide an XML feed for programs like BBWeather to use: Weather Underground
and that doesn't have all the data available on their website. It's similar with the weather.com feed. They provide a 10 day forecast on the website but only 5 days via the XML feed.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #44
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

I notice the wunderground xml feed provides both heat index and wind chill.

The BBweather current conditions screen shows wind chill...but I live in balmy Houston
Old 07-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #45
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

When I (via my Storm) click on the link to install, I receive this error:

Cannot find file (-3)
BBWeatherEX

I am sure I am doing something wrong...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #46
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thank you. This appears to be working nicely on my 8830.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #47
tateu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopter View Post
When I (via my Storm) click on the link to install, I receive this error:

Cannot find file (-3)
BBWeatherEX

I am sure I am doing something wrong...
Nope, not you. My download script (dl.php) was trying to forward you to a Storm specific version...but I haven't compiled a Storm specific version yet.

I fixed it and the link should work on a Storm, now, but it doesn't have the Storm specific features like the older, non-GPS BBWeather v0.89. I will eventually compile a GPS enabled Storm specific version but I'm not sure when.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #48
deebo550

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t

love the app and great work as i use this religiously on my bold.

it would be cool but in no way a deal breaker if you could store certain GPS obtained location id's as profiles. For example if I check my bbweather in a certain area and the gps shows me weather for zip code 11111 Id like to be able to store it as a new profile. Of course I could add it manually myself but whats the fun in that? lol

thanks and keep up the good work!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #49
ndrenfro

what settings are you guys usng for the Tour? I cant get it to work on mine. Inputting my zipcode works fine, but cant get the "@gps" to work. Any suggestions?
thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #50
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeek View Post
Same here when trying cellsite on my Pearl 8100 on Tmobile with OS 4.5.0.124.

The other settings work with the GPS puck though, although then I get the weather for Pasadena, which is probably 3 miles or so away from where I am in Houston (77062).
And if I had looked at this RIM Knowledge Base Article as suggested by tateu in his original post, I would have known that cellsite doesn't work on a Pearl 8100...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #51
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrenfro View Post
what settings are you guys usng for the Tour? I cant get it to work on mine. Inputting my zipcode works fine, but cant get the "@gps" to work. Any suggestions?
thanks
Autonomous for the Tour....well, on Verizon anyway.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #52
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491

tateu, I need to echo another post (from your website) that my daily and hourly forecast are not updating. I see that you fixed the bug (per your post) in v0.91.1 but I am still experiencing the non updating screens.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #53
tateu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
tateu, I need to echo another post (from your website) that my daily and hourly forecast are not updating. I see that you fixed the bug (per your post) in v0.91.1 but I am still experiencing the non updating screens.
This is the 3rd or 4th time I thought I fixed that...Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Right now, the Current Conditions, Daily Forecast and Hourly Forecasts are all updated separately with individual http calls to the weather service. I'm not sure why the original developer built it that way in the first place (maybe it was to save on data requirements, in case you only wanted to update one of them?). It has been on my ToDo List, for awhile, to simplify them all into one. From weather.com, Current Conditions is around 2KB of data, Daily Forecast is around 5KB and the Hourly Forecast is around 9KB. I see no reason not to request them all in one single http request. This should hopefully, once and for all and finally kill this darn bug dead.

I'm not sure when I'll get around to it...I am in major need of some sleep...but here's a slightly newer version which does not address the update issue, it has the customizable temperature icon feature (transparency does not work, though). This one has the specialized Storm version compiled, not tested on an actual device yet.

OTA Automatically detect Storm or not Storem
http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=BBWeatherEx

OTA Force Storm version download
http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php...atherEx&os=4.7

New stuff since v0.91.1
* Fixed a bug that caused some problems when switching back and forth between weather servers
* Added the option to use a custom icon on the homescreen to write the temperatire on top of - Transparency does not really work, though.

In the Options screen, scroll down to "Homescreen Icon" and "Homescreen Rollover." Set one of them to "Temp." Check the box that says "Use Custom Icon." Press the menu button and choose "Set Custom Icon." this should bring up a little file dialog box which will allow you to navigate through your SD Card or system memory and choose an image to use as an Icon.

The icon must be:
PNG or GIF.
32x32 or 64x64 - if it is 64x64, it will be scaled down to 32x32. All icons in BBWeather are 32x32 and if I allow something larger than that on the homescreen, it causes a few problems I don't feel like dealing with right now.

You cannot use a fully transparent image to write the text directly on the homescreen background. I haven't figured that out yet. When I use the drawText function on a transparent image, it also draws the text as transparent. If you still see the blue squarish icon on the homescreen after setting up the custom icon...it probably means there is something incompatible about your icon. I will eventually add something that checks the compatibility of the icon immediately after you select it in the file dialog but you'll have to live without that for now.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #54
tbhuang2

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
I see no reason not to request them all in one single http request. This should hopefully, once and for all and finally kill this darn bug dead.
I vote YES to killing that darn bug. But I think you mean request the hourly and daily forecasts in one http request and leaving the Current conditions on its own? Just wondering on account of there being separate interval settings for the Current & Homescreen Poll and Forecast Poll.
-Threaded SMS
Old 07-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #55
tateu

Actually, I am thinking of combing all three and getting rid of the separate Current and Forecast intervals.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #56
tateu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
Well, I just left BBWeather v0.91.2 running on my Bold for 2 hours and the Hourly Forecast updated at the 2 hour mark just like it is supposed to. I still plan to combine the data request for all 3 screens, though, so that will hopefully fix the bug on your phone.

Also, I wonder if people are getting confused by the "Update" time...very easy to do, by the way, since there is no help manual or description list for the various fields...The "Update" time is actually the last time data was updated on the weather server...not the last time data was downloaded by BBWeather. I am thinking of changing that, somehow. Maybe by showing both the last server update time and the last download time?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #57
tbhuang2

Model: 8130

Cool, can't wait for the combination even though 0.89.1 seemed to fix the hourly forecast update it for me.
-Threaded SMS
Old 07-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #58
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Also, I wonder if people are getting confused by the "Update" time...very easy to do, by the way, since there is no help manual or description list for the various fields...The "Update" time is actually the last time data was updated on the weather server...not the last time data was downloaded by BBWeather. I am thinking of changing that, somehow. Maybe by showing both the last server update time and the last download time?
I like this idea (showing both times...no confusion then)

Also I was wondering what people think about an option to use an alternative set of keys to advance through the pages; for example, have an option to use 6 and 4 to go forward and backward between the current conditions and forecast pages, and 0 to scroll down a page. (I'm always forgetting that 0 doesn't scroll but instead goes to the next page )
Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #59
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeek View Post
I like this idea (showing both times...no confusion then)

Also I was wondering what people think about an option to use an alternative set of keys to advance through the pages; for example, have an option to use 6 and 4 to go forward and backward between the current conditions and forecast pages, and 0 to scroll down a page. (I'm always forgetting that 0 doesn't scroll but instead goes to the next page )
IMO, a better solution would be to use the BlackBerry "standard" for scrolling forward and backward between pages (i.e., <SPACE> and <CAPS><SPACE>, respectively).
Old 07-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #60
localguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

i'll give this a shot on my 8330 and see what happens, im bored anyways lol

Shoot i have to uninstall version i have now or will overwrite it, no biggie

Last edited by localguy; 07-29-2009 at 10:50 PM..
Closed Thread