Old 07-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #21
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjb View Post
I guess the Verizon Tour supports GPS in some fashion. My Pearl can only use the cell site method. I still get the error I mentioned above.
Is your Pearl running 4.5?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Is your Pearl running 4.5?
Yes, it's running 4.5.0.160.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #23
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Because of the GPS thing, you may be out of luck with that device. I am curious if any 8330 users were successful. I hope you may up grade soon

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #24
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Because of the GPS thing, you may be out of luck with that device. I am curious if any 8330 users were successful. I hope you may up grade soon
Problem is, I don't want a different device. I love the size and light weight of the Pearl. Maybe a flip pearl will work--they run OS 4.6 right now and are about the same size and weight when closed.

However, Google maps works with the cell site location--hopefully tateu can get that working. Poynt uses cell sites too.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #25
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I have started integrating an option to use data from Weather Underground (wunderground.com) for the current conditions and, eventually, the daily forecast. Some of the parameters available with the current weather feed (weather.com) are not available through Weather Underground, such as sunrise/sunset and a few others, but it's still nice to have options. The main reason I added it is that GPS will work in locations outside the US because Weather Underground directly accepts latitude & longitude coordinates and returns weather data for that region (I've tested it in the simulator with locations in Russia and Canada). It also doesn't provide hourly forecast data but it does provide weather alerts so that is another thing I started trying to implement.

I also spent a short while looking into radar but don't have a solution yet. I need something that takes a latitude and longitude and LocationID and returns an image instead of an entire web page. Something like this from Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/mapdata?tstyp...-internal&zl=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
could we also get a Homescreen BG Color?
Are you talking about the blue, squarish icon that the temperature gets written on top of? If yes, that is a png image that has to be created and compiled into BBWeather. The best I might be able to do is give you an option not to use a prebuilt image background and instead just use a solid color. I have also been trying, unsuccessfully, for a long time to write the temperature text onto a transparent background so it appears directly on the homescreen background.

Quote:
I am curious if any 8330 users were successful.
I don't think the device simulators are a good judge...but it works in the 8130 and 8330 simulators.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #26
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Thumbs up

The GPS option works with my Verizon 9630 (aka Tour) with OS v4.7.1.40 -- GPS Type is set to Autonomous.

Excellent work as always!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #27
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Problem is, I don't want a different device. I love the size and light weight of the Pearl. Maybe a flip pearl will work--they run OS 4.6 right now and are about the same size and weight when closed.

However, Google maps works with the cell site location--hopefully tateu can get that working. Poynt uses cell sites too.
Understood

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #28
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!

Tateu

This app installed and works flawlessly on my 8310. I have now deleted my Weatherbug Direct, which I REALLY liked and am using your app.

You absolutely ROCK! Thanks!

David

Twitter
Old 07-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #29
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Here's what I set:
Location ID: @gps
Description: GPS
Forecast Days: 10
Hourly Forecast Count: 24
Units: Standard
Shortcut Key:

Pressed OK and now I have a profile called "GPS."

I set GPS Type to Cellsite (I tried all of them but I'm sure Verizon would only work with the cell site)

After trying to retrieve the weather I get the following:
Error - Current Conditions
Thread (@gpsnull):
Invalid location provided.

I added my location by ZIP (27410) and that profile works as expected.
Same here when trying cellsite on my Pearl 8100 on Tmobile with OS 4.5.0.124.

The other settings work with the GPS puck though, although then I get the weather for Pasadena, which is probably 3 miles or so away from where I am in Houston (77062).
Old 07-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #30
tateu

v0.91 http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=BBWeatherEX

* Added GPRS and CDMA CellID lookup via Google as an alternative for those who do not have GPS.
* Added Weather Underground as a data source for Current Conditions
* Fixed some bugs (and probably added new ones)

GPRS and CDMA mode can be set on the Options screen under "GPS Type". These are not really GPS at all. They grab the CellID (BID) and LAC (NID) codes from the phone network info, then send those off to http://www.google.com/glm/mmap which returns the latitude and longitude of the cell tower. You need to know which type of phone you have. The Bold is GPRS, the 8703e is CDMA. You'll have to figure out the rest...or try both options.

Only GPRS mode has been tested because I have a Bold. I do not know if the CDMA mode works.

When switching back and forth between Weather Servers, Weather.com and Weather Underground, it is best to exit and reopen the program immediately afterward. There are a few bugs if you don't.

Weather Underground only works for the Current Conditions. And if you are outside of the US and want GPS to work for the Current Conditions, then you should use Weather Underground. Weather.com does not work with GPS outside the US.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 AM   #31
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie
Are you talking about the blue, squarish icon that the temperature gets written on top of? If yes, that is a png image that has to be created and compiled into BBWeather. The best I might be able to do is give you an option not to use a prebuilt image background and instead just use a solid color. I have also been trying, unsuccessfully, for a long time to write the temperature text onto a transparent background so it appears directly on the homescreen background.
Yes, that was exactly what I was talking about.

There is a whole discussion thread in the forums at BellShare.com (the makers of BerryWeather) about custom radar map animations ... I don't know if anything there would help or not...

www.bellshare.com • View topic - Customize Radar link
Old 07-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #32
fonejunkie
Just me

One problem with the Weather Underground feed... the current time in Arizona is 10:55 PM and the icon that shows is the SUN rather than the moon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture on 07-26-2009 23-09-07.jpg (36.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #33
tateu

Quote:
One problem with the Weather Underground feed... the current time in Arizona is 10:55 PM and the icon that shows is the SUN rather than the moon...
Yes, Weather.com differentiates between night and day icons but Weather Underground does not. And Weather Underground does not provide sunrise/sunset data so the best I can do is make some hard cutoff times such as to show sun icons between 6am and 8pm and moon icons between 8pm and 6am. Well, I guess I could simultaneously grab data from weather.com to get the sunrise/sunset data but that just seems like it will make things way to messy for me.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 AM   #34
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Yes, Weather.com differentiates between night and day icons but Weather Underground does not. And Weather Underground does not provide sunrise/sunset data so the best I can do is make some hard cutoff times such as to show sun icons between 6am and 8pm and moon icons between 8pm and 6am. Well, I guess I could simultaneously grab data from weather.com to get the sunrise/sunset data but that just seems like it will make things way to messy for me.
Understood.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:09 AM   #35
tateu

Quote:
Ok, so here are two options I can think of:
1) A Solid color square (maybe a circle?) that the temperature can be written onto.
2) Copy a 32x32 png image file onto your device, either onto the SDCard or system memory, and select it in the BBWeather options. BBWeather will then try and use that as its temperature icon. If it fails it can go back to the current blue square looking icon or option 1 above.

Do either of those sound ok? Or do you have something else in mind?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #36
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Update - Still no joy here with Verizon/8330 as far as location by cell tower (or GPS). Tried all available combinations. Most return the following:

'Error - Current Conditions Thread
(@GPS16.879531,96.128788):
Invalid Location Provided'

The only one that didn't return the error message was WeatherUnderground/Cellsite/Geonames.org. That returned weather for Yangon, Myanmar (00000) GPS**. This was interesting, but not very helpful (since I'm in the suburbs of Detroit!). All the 'normal' profiles work marvelously, as they always have. This is a great app - and when I pick up my new 9630 tonight, I'll probably like it even better! Keep up all the good work. This is a great app, and I know Verizon has not made it easy.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #37
JaredH

Finally started to work on my verizon tour on autonomous everything else default. I changed permissions to allow everything but I'm not sure if that did anything to attribute to its success.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #38
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajones19 View Post
'Error - Current Conditions Thread
(@GPS16.879531,96.128788):
Invalid Location Provided'
Similar results here.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #39
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Ok, so here are two options I can think of:
1) A Solid color square (maybe a circle?) that the temperature can be written onto.
2) Copy a 32x32 png image file onto your device, either onto the SDCard or system memory, and select it in the BBWeather options. BBWeather will then try and use that as its temperature icon. If it fails it can go back to the current blue square looking icon or option 1 above.

Do either of those sound ok? Or do you have something else in mind?
Either of the above would work. However, it would be great to try to display the temp, on the background, on top of the home screen icon. If the temp background imagecan be made smaller than the icon, we could give it some transparency and have the home screen icon show through a little. This is how it's done in BerryWeather and it works well with the right size and transparency. If possible, give the user the choice of temp font and size, as well as the image. That way you don't have to do the work (unless, of course, you want to
Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #40
VonnerNIX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
....Some of the parameters available with the current weather feed (weather.com) are not available through Weather Underground, such as sunrise/sunset and a few others, but it's still nice to have options. ....
That's strange, because if you use the wudnerground mobile site it shows you when sunrise/sunset will be, along with moon phase, etc. You'd certainly think it would be available in the background for you use as well.

I currently use wunderground, but will give your updated GPS weather app a test shortly.

It is very much appreciated!
Closed Thread