Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #21
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Cool

Please Login to Remove!

Please also consider adding the following capabilities in a future release in order to make this a COMPLETE file manager for the BlackBerry:
  1. Ability to FTP file(s) to/from device; and
  2. Access to Windows file shares (in a BES environment) behind a Corporate firewall.
Both of these features were available in ROVE's Mobile File Manager (freeware at the time), which has been discontinued -- let me know if you would like to see an archived copy of ROVE's product.

Last edited by visortgw; 03-06-2009 at 09:58 AM..
Old 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #22
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
Definitely possible, as I've seen it implemented in other 3rd-party apps.
sorry I should have been more precisely - I meant possible for me
Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #23
emacf1

BBFileScout update to 0.4.8

What's new?
  • File details dialogue:
    • Filename (complete)
    • File size
    • Last modification date
    • Is BuildIn [YES|NO]
    • Is DRMLocked [YES|NO]
    • Is Encrypted [YES|NO]
  • Send any file as eMail attachment to your BB contacts (experimental)
  • Key short cuts:
    • [U|I]: (I)nformation about selected file [file details]

What's fixed?
  • '... to GO' applications will now come to front, when a DOC, Excel or PowerPoint document will be open (I hope that will work for you all)
  • Zipping a single File will show now a real progress bar
  • Tested with BB 8700 Simulator
  • Changed some menu item names (from 'open' to 'edit'/'view')
  • Probably more what I can't remember right now

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage

Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Looking forward for your comments
Matthias
Old 03-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #24
PDM

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Many thanks for v0.4.8.

Just a couple of cosmetic suggestions :
* When I copy a file to the stack and then navigate to the target directory. Would it be possible to state "Paste <filename>" or "Paste Here". As, currently, the "Copy <filename> to <directory>" is mostly truncated on my 8800 dependent upon the filename. Normally, I see "Copy <partial filename>" (see attachment 1).

* Not all of the file properties can be seen within "Details" window. Perhaps, the ability to navigate within this window or a smaller font would help (see attachment 2).

* eMail <filename>. When I tried this, initially an exclamation mark appeared with "OK" (see attachment 3) and then proceeds to the e-mail client. Would it be possible, in the future, to use the built-in BB e-Mail client? I only see the first five address book entries as potential recipients and do understand that this is currently experimental.

It would also be nice to be able to create a new document. Although, I can always open an empty file and save as...

Having tested several WinWord files, Word To Go did always appear in the foreground; as did Sheet To Go & Slide To Go with respective files. However, PDF To Go launches and does not display the file originally selected (as per BBNotePad issue); this maybe a Cerience/DataViz issue.

I also accidentally started zipping my \\SDCard\BlackBerry\documents directory which contains approx 78MB of various document types. I thought this was going to kill BBFS as there was no way to "Cancel" the operation. However, 45mins-60mins later it was finished and I had a 66.58MiB file. This was a pleasant surprise.

Will continue to test over the weekend... Many thanks again for all your efforts.
Attached Images
File Type: png BBFS_Copyto.png (33.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png BBFS_FileProperties.png (34.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png BBFS_Email.png (21.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by PDM; 03-07-2009 at 08:31 AM..
Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #25
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

"'... to GO' applications will now come to front, when a DOC, Excel or PowerPoint document will be open (I hope that will work for you all)"

Works perfectly!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #26
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Many thanks for v0.4.8.

Just a couple of cosmetic suggestions :

* Not all of the file properties can be seen within "Details" window. Perhaps, the ability to navigate within this window or a smaller font would help (see attachment 2).
Another suggestion to save space on this screen might be to abbreviate timezone info. Currently mine shows "America/New_York", but this could be shortened to a more standard "GMT-5".
Old 03-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #27
emacf1

BBFileScout update to 0.4.9

What's new?
  • "Bulk" processing (process more then a single file/less then the complete directory):
    • Copy selection of files
    • Move selection of files
    • Delete selection of files
    • Zip selection of files
  • Key short cuts:
    • [SPACE]: Select/Deselect the current highlighted file (to be able to multi select)

What's fixed?
  • Improvements for smaller displays like 8800'er
  • Catching errors while reading Contacts (eMail attachments function)
  • additional alternative JAD inside the BBFileScout ZIP download

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage

Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Looking forward for your comments
Matthias
Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #28
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8830)

This latest build has an issue with the e-mail function and its error handling. Attempting to initiate the function, I encounter a java.lang.IndexOutOfBounds2xception, but I am unable to acknowledge the error and move on (i.e., clicking OK does nothing). I know that you'll work it out... ;)

8830/4.5.0.135 (201)/P3.4.0.28/VZW

Last edited by visortgw; 03-07-2009 at 02:57 PM..
Old 03-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #29
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

Also... If I download the zip and put in my Berry's SD Card and then try to install the app using the JAD file, the installation fails stating 907 Invalid Cod File. I have experienced this before too with previous builds.

Nokia 2100 > Nokia 6100 > Samsung t319 > Nokia 5300 > Blackberry 8320 > Blackberry 8900 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4
Old 03-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #30
emacf1

Quote:
* When I copy a file to the stack and then navigate to the target directory. Would it be possible to state "Paste <filename>" or "Paste Here". As, currently, the "Copy <filename> to <directory>" is mostly truncated on my 8800 dependent upon the filename. Normally, I see "Copy <partial filename>" (see attachment 1).
I have investigated this a bit more - but come not to an optimal solution yet... for 0.4.9 nothing is changed - but I still thinking about a way to improve this...

Quote:
changed in 0.4.9 -> thanks a lot for the feedback

Quote:
* eMail <filename>. When I tried this, initially an exclamation mark appeared with "OK" (see attachment 3) and then proceeds to the e-mail client. Would it be possible, in the future, to use the built-in BB e-Mail client? I only see the first five address book entries as potential recipients and do understand that this is currently experimental.
I changed something in 0.4.9 concerning this - I just can guess, that some contacts in your Phone are not "complete" (at least from what I thought would be complete - no offense!)... so now I tried to continue in the case of an error (and display the error!)...

So I hope, that now you have more then 5 contacts in the choice... I hope you noticed also, that you can manually specify a recipient...

aaaaand - I would loved to use the default black berry email composer - but this app was not able to handle all the different attachment types - it reported very often "invalid format" and suggested me to remove the attachment again (which would be some sore of contra productive)

So I was forced to write my "own" email composer (with eMail subject and eMail body) - and YES - there are for sure better & more efficient ways to select the recipients [but I hope you also can understand, that I could not recode the RIM eMail Composer over the weekend]

Quote:
It would also be nice to be able to create a new document. Although, I can always open an empty file and save as...
There is a "Create NEW text file" menu item as soon as you have selected in the option 'Allow editing in SimpleTextViewer'... I hope it's also there for you?

Quote:
...However, PDF To Go launches and does not display the file originally selected (as per BBNotePad issue); this maybe a Cerience/DataViz issue.
indeed - I just can assume, that this is the same case... [but I can try something in the next release - but therefore I would need to know, what the module name of the "PDF to GO" application have]

Quote:
I also accidentally started zipping my \\SDCard\BlackBerry\documents directory which contains approx 78MB of various document types. I thought this was going to kill BBFS as there was no way to "Cancel" the operation. However, 45mins-60mins later it was finished and I had a 66.58MiB file. This was a pleasant surprise.
- yeah what should I say - a cancel button would be nice indeed from time to time - a "battery pull" is some sort of drastic

Quote:
Another suggestion to save space on this screen might be to abbreviate timezone info. Currently mine shows "America/New_York", but this could be shortened to a more standard "GMT-5".
That was lazy Matthias @ work... simply used java.util.Date toString... now in 0.4.9 the Date is locally formatted...
Old 03-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #31
emacf1

Quote:
This latest build has an issue with the e-mail function and its error handling. Attempting to initiate the function, I encounter a java.lang.IndexOutOfBounds2xception, but I am unable to acknowledge the error and move on (i.e., clicking OK does nothing). I know that you'll work it out... ;)
I assume the Dialogue will "just show up" x times - and so you have the impression it's endless - my apologize - I already adjusted that part of the code again... it's very difficult to test this here (since I have no clue how different the contacts of other people could look like)... I assume you have contacts without "given name" present?

... so another day - another release
Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #32
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1
Quote:
I assume the Dialogue will "just show up" x times - and so you have the impression it's endless - my apologize - I already adjusted that part of the code again... it's very difficult to test this here (since I have no clue how different the contacts of other people could look like)... I assume you have contacts without "given name" present?

... so another day - another release
Company names only ==> contacts without given names. Also, I have about 1600 contacts, in case that is matters. ;)
Old 03-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #33
PDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
[...]
I changed something in 0.4.9 concerning this - I just can guess, that some contacts in your Phone are not "complete" (at least from what I thought would be complete - no offense!)... so now I tried to continue in the case of an error (and display the error!)...

So I hope, that now you have more then 5 contacts in the choice... I hope you noticed also, that you can manually specify a recipient...
I get an error message stating :
Code:
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
and believe it is the same issue "visortgw" has reported. I too have 'just' company names entered as well with all the relevant info e.g. e-mail address, telephone no, address etc (just no first or last name for these contacts).

Quote:
aaaaand - I would loved to use the default black berry email composer - but this app was not able to handle all the different attachment types - it reported very often "invalid format" and suggested me to remove the attachment again (which would be some sore of contra productive)
Ahh, I wasn't aware of the attachment type restrictions within the BB e-mail APIs as we are able to attach any file type from within the app itself.

Quote:
So I was forced to write my "own" email composer (with eMail subject and eMail body) - and YES - there are for sure better & more efficient ways to select the recipients [but I hope you also can understand, that I could not recode the RIM eMail Composer over the weekend]
I for one certainly wouldn't expect you to.

Quote:
There is a "Create NEW text file" menu item as soon as you have selected in the option 'Allow editing in SimpleTextViewer'... I hope it's also there for you?
It's there... just didn't see it.

Quote:
I would need to know, what the module name of the "PDF to GO" application have
[...]
The module itself is "PDFToGo.cod"
Old 03-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #34
PDM

I forgot to mention would it help with the OTA issues if the cod was broken down into three parts (as per JAD contents)? I thought there was some sort of file size limit for otas - I maybe mistaken.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #35
emacf1

I)
@PDM &visortgw
can you check 0.4.10 and report, if that exceptions are gone (sending eMail as attachment?)

II)
when you have PFD2GO installed - get 0.4.10 - remove the custom file association you might have tried to configure - and after the association is gone try to open a PDF... does that work?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #36
PDM

Quote:
I)
@PDM &visortgw
can you check 0.4.10 and report, if that exceptions are gone (sending eMail as attachment?)

II)
when you have PFD2GO installed - get 0.4.10 - remove the custom file association you might have tried to configure - and after the association is gone try to open a PDF... does that work?
Both issues have been resolved for me with this release i.e.
i. Exceptions gone. I see a list of all contacts with first and/or lastname. Didn't notice any companies with e-mail addresses - but will check again tomorrow morning.

ii. I removed the pdf association for PDF To Go. Clicked on a pdf and hey presto... PDF To Go with the document loaded!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #37
emacf1

thanks for the feedback - looks like something was successful today
Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #38
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Talking

Quote:
thanks for the feedback - looks like something was successful today
There were a lot of successes with the BBFileScout updates today! It is absolutely amazing how quickly you are adding new features.

The e-mailing of files works for me, too! I would like to make some suggestions for possible future enhancements to make it even better:
  1. Allow a user to select the sending e-mail account to use as opposed to only the default account -- I currently have nine accounts on my device.
  2. Provide a a better mechanism to find an outgoing e-mail address in the list generated from the Address Book. With 1600+ Address Book entries, there is no easy way to navigate to a name, especially since the list is sorted by last name. Entering a letter on the keyboard moves to the next name where the first letter of the first name matches the letter typed.
BTW, what file types were you not able to send using the native RIM Messages application? I don't remember coming across any instances of this with the newer BlackBerry OSs (currently using 4.5.0.135), but it is more than likely that I just haven't hit the right (or wrong) one(s).
Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #39
PDM

Quote:
There were a lot of successes with the BBFileScout updates today! It is absolutely amazing how quickly you are adding new features.
[...]
I couldn't agree more! ;)

I'm off to have a Becks.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:32 AM   #40
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Man been great progress since it come out. :D

Unfortunately it still crashes...

When opening