notepad + memopad = too sexy!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #22
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinjg8008 View Post
I will think about adding the delete function first.
For bluetooth I have no Idea I can do that, because some RIM functions must be signed.I don't want to pay money for the little app.
Thanks. The Delete function would be a great function to this app.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #23
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
OS 4.2.....196 or whatever with Verizon. I can't get past repeated PERMISSIONS. It can drive one nuts. I set permissions to ALLOW but that does not work
It's not you, it's the OS. This app is unsigned, so the only way to get rid of all the popups is to turn ON the device Firewall, then explicitly allow permissions for it. It doesn't make the most obvious sense (speaking from the BB OS, that is) but that's how it has to be done.

After turning on the device Firewall, be sure to test all your apps. I found I have problems with one or two that I still need to hash out why they don't work, so I typically keep mine off until I get to that task.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
It's not you, it's the OS. This app is unsigned, so the only way to get rid of all the popups is to turn ON the device Firewall, then explicitly allow permissions for it. It doesn't make the most obvious sense (speaking from the BB OS, that is) but that's how it has to be done.

After turning on the device Firewall, be sure to test all your apps. I found I have problems with one or two that I still need to hash out why they don't work, so I typically keep mine off until I get to that task.
That worked for me! Thanks...
Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #25
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinjg8008 View Post
For bluetooth I have no Idea I can do that, because some RIM functions must be signed.I don't want to pay money for the little app.
So many people want this app, I bet if you set up a PayPal (or whatever) donation thing on a website, people would start giving you a few dollars each. 20 people x $5 USD == one RIM signing certificate. I for one have been wanting a Notepad like this forever and am very happy you have made it.

Feature request: status line showing row,column, poistion-in-file like in 'vim' (unix editor). Here's what it looks like on a PC:

The three status items are (filename) (row,column) (position-in-file-percent), it would be great if we could have some of these in BBNotePad so we know where we're at when editing. Here is a mockup of what I think it would look like:

Thanks for listening!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #26
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Wirelessly posted (TMO 8120 4.5.0.52)

I would be happy to donate!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #27
Jannock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Vodafone

Great software, thanks!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #28
qinjg8008
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: CMCC

Quote:
So many people want this app, I bet if you set up a PayPal (or whatever) donation thing on a website, people would start giving you a few dollars each. 20 people x $5 USD == one RIM signing certificate. I for one have been wanting a Notepad like this forever and am very happy you have made it.

Feature request: status line showing row,column, poistion-in-file like in 'vim' (unix editor). Here's what it looks like on a PC:

The three status items are (filename) (row,column) (position-in-file-percent), it would be great if we could have some of these in BBNotePad so we know where we're at when editing. Here is a mockup of what I think it would look like:

Thanks for listening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post

I would be happy to donate!
Thans for your suggestions, I will think about that.
I suggest the forum could set up a little fund for the freeware signing.
Any one who support the freeware could donation.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #29
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Setup a paypal account and you may get some help.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #30
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

And, if I recall correctly, didn't RIM lower the price of their code signing?
Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #31
prodigee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Fido (City, Unlimited)

i'll donate!
Old 07-27-2008, 02:31 AM   #32
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Wow! Notepad. I definitely want that to be signed, though so more of basic features can be added.

Why is it limited to 64k, though?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #33
qinjg8008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite View Post
Wow! Notepad. I definitely want that to be signed, though so more of basic features can be added.

Why is it limited to 64k, though?
Because all the text are cached in memory.
For j2me the cache is limited with 128KB.
So I set the limit to 64KB, for ANSI to UNICODE, it will not be over 128 KB.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #34
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Yeah?

I wonder if it's possible to use trickery to edit/read files larger than 64k...
Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 PM   #35
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

I have updated the OTA link above for the new version 1.0.4
Old 07-28-2008, 02:18 AM   #36
luc-mobile
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro

Quote:

Thanks for listening!
Good idea for a file that is named "New.txt". But this is not a desktop we're talking about, so it's a bad idea for a file named, say, "Interesting facts.txt". Something that 30 seconds of testing just showed over here.

Besides, what good is it to know what line you're at or how % far you're into the file if there is close to no navigation? There are no command/edit modes, so the space key will always insert a space rather than scroll down quickly. Those 10% up/down navigation options in the menu are useless. No one is going to...
- open menu
- roll down to 10% down option (careful not to miss it)
- click it
... 6 times to scroll down 60%.

A very simple command/edit mode switch would be VERY useful, at least so we could use key shortcuts like N=New, S=Save or C=Close (and scroll down with space), but then that would be just yet another feature in the long list of feature requests this app is going to get.

Because a lot of people have WANTED SOMETHING LIKE THIS FOR SO LONG. But no one had done it until now since RIM makes it really difficult for anyone to develop for the Blackberry platform.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 AM   #37
PDM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Thx qinjg8008...

Out of habit I tend to use the "Backup" / "Escape" key to exit out of most of the apps.... However, here it functions as a delete key... a slight annoyance (as I keep forgetting).
@qinjg8008: any chance of changing this behaviour to function like the other BB apps?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #38
BBAddict82

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
And, if I recall correctly, didn't RIM lower the price of their code signing?
Yes. It is now only $20.00. I'd post the reference link, but my post count is too low. Just google "RIM code signing fee" and check out the third result for anyone needing verification.

-David
Old 07-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #39
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

The RIM code signing is a very simple process, even I was able to do it for an app, and the cost is only $20.

I would donate.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #40
qinjg8008

Controlled APIs and Code SigningResearch In Motion (RIM) must track the use of some sensitive application program interfaces (APIs) in the BlackBerry® Java Development Environment (JDE) for security and export control reasons. In the API reference documentation, sensitive classes or methods are indicated by a lock icon or are noted as "signed". If you use these controlled classes or methods in your applications, your application must be signed using a key, or signature, provided by RIM before you can load the application .cod files onto the BlackBerry device.

Note: While the core set of controlled APIs is covered by the RIM API signature, certain cryptography classes related to public/private key cryptography contain technology from Certicom. Use of these classes must be registered and licensed from Certicom directly, and are not covered under RIM's registration process. For more information on the registration and use of these classes please refer to the Certicom Cryptography Classes section.

RIM Controlled APIs

RIM Controlled APIs are split into three categories: Runtime APIs, BlackBerry Application APIs, and BlackBerry Cryptography APIs. For a complete list of RIM controlled APIs please refer to the API reference included with the BlackBerry JDE download.

Certain other functionality, such as the ability to execute on startup also requires developers to sign their applications. Additional details on controlled APIs and the signing process can be found in the BlackBerry Developer Guide, Volume 2 - Advanced Topics.

Note: Registration and signing of applications is only required to run an application on a BlackBerry device. Signing of applications is not required to run applications using the BlackBerry device simulator.

How to register RIM controlled APIs

To register for access to the BlackBerry runtime, application and cryptography APIs, you will need to fill out the web form. Once registered, you will be sent a set of keys via email that will allow you to sign your applications using the signature tool included with the BlackBerry JDE. An administration fee of $20.00 (USD) will be charged to a valid credit card to complete the registration process.

Note: Typically, keys are sent via email within 48 hours of submitting the necessary forms, but occasionally the process can take up to 10 business days. If you have not received your keys within 10 business days of submitting the registration form, please contact BlackBerry support at 1-877-255-2377.

Code signing registration is solely for purposes of tracking usage of these particular APIs in third party application development, and does not in any way indicate RIM's approval or endorsement of your application or your use of the APIs. You are solely responsible for the implementation and use of the application or your use of the APIs in your application(s), and you acknowledge, by submitting your registration, that RIM shall have no liability to you or any third party for issues arising from your application(s). All APIs are subject to the terms and conditions of the RIM software license agreement that you have agreed to in relation to your use of the BlackBerry JDE, as amended from time to time. All information that you provide on your registration form must be accurate and complete, and by submitting your registration, you agree to promptly notify RIM of any changes to the information that you provide.

Download Code Signing Registration Form (PDF)

For more information on code signing and controlled APIs, please refer to the BlackBerry Developer Guide, Volume 2, Advanced Topics.
Closed Thread