BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #21
BBuser99

Model: 8100

Please Login to Remove!

MapQuest Navigator is available on the 7250, 8100, 8703, 7130. I have used it on the 8703 and 8100 and itworks great and it is free for 90 days on Sprint Nextel
Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #22
Walt
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

I finally canceled TeleNav and staying with MapQuest Navigator. Someone made a comment about not being able to use the phone while navigating but I have no problem doing that. I get calls but to make calls I can go to my recent calls list by pressing the send button. I haven't seen where I can go to my address book without exiting Navigator. I'll play with it some more.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #23
laser

Model: 8703E

Maybe it's just my phone, but I can't get steady signal from the sats in my car. I have to hold the damn thing near the window ( 8703e )
Old 02-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #24
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt
I finally canceled TeleNav and staying with MapQuest Navigator. Someone made a comment about not being able to use the phone while navigating but I have no problem doing that. I get calls but to make calls I can go to my recent calls list by pressing the send button. I haven't seen where I can go to my address book without exiting Navigator. I'll play with it some more.
Hold the green send key longer to bring up dial by name. You might need to change an option for that on the 8703. See my tips doc.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #25
Walt

Hey thanks!! I didn't know about holding the send key longer. Works great. You da man!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #26
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360

Does anyone know when they'll start charging for this service? I cancelled telenav as well and like mapquest navi better. I'm still on the 90 days free trial but when will I know if they start charging for the service?? I downloaded it through mapquest and not through nextel so how would the billing work with that?

Old 03-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #27
Walt

This is a good question. I've been using MapQuest for a couple of months now and I was wondering how I'm going to be billed. I downloaded it from MapQuest and not from Nextel. Maybe they will forget about us and we'll never get billed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldie
Does anyone know when they'll start charging for this service? I cancelled telenav as well and like mapquest navi better. I'm still on the 90 days free trial but when will I know if they start charging for the service?? I downloaded it through mapquest and not through nextel so how would the billing work with that?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #28
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

For those using Mapquest don't you find the entry of addressess to be cumbersome. No tie into the address book, and for each field you have to go the filed, open the field, type the field, and save the field. So for one address with diff fields for number, street, city, state, that is a alot of work.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #29
jareds

Model: 8800

it works on my 8800
Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #30
Walt

You're right. That's a pain and you have to pretty much click the wheel twice for everything you do but I like the program so I put up with it. Maybe they'll come out with a new version soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
For those using Mapquest don't you find the entry of addressess to be cumbersome. No tie into the address book, and for each field you have to go the filed, open the field, type the field, and save the field. So for one address with diff fields for number, street, city, state, that is a alot of work.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #31
jp1979
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile

does anyone know if this will be available for T-mobile customers???
Old 03-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #32
dipdewdog

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just have to add my two cents on this too... Mapquest Navigator works way better than Telenav on my Pearl. Telenav is way slower than MQ at downloading the route and MQ is light years ahead of Telenav at rerouting. The voice prompts are clear, night mode is great, and I never lost GPS or anything during my trip. I'm canceling my Telenav trial and am going to stick with MQ.

I wish I knew more about the pricing for MQ, as far as I can tell I'm not going to be billed... I haven't given them any of my info. Does anyone know what happens after the supposed 90 day "trial period?"
Old 03-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #33
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdewdog
Just have to add my two cents on this too... Mapquest Navigator works way better than Telenav on my Pearl. Telenav is way slower than MQ at downloading the route and MQ is light years ahead of Telenav at rerouting. The voice prompts are clear, night mode is great, and I never lost GPS or anything during my trip. I'm canceling my Telenav trial and am going to stick with MQ.

I wish I knew more about the pricing for MQ, as far as I can tell I'm not going to be billed... I haven't given them any of my info. Does anyone know what happens after the supposed 90 day "trial period?"
MQ has diff tech. It does DL alot more route data at the outset thats why it doesnt ping the server, but its alot slower in updating maps you want to see and it doesnt show certain things, and won't show POIs along the route, but both are slated for updates very soon so stay tuned. Both can be very good. Oh by the way, best I know same price after trial.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #34
dipdewdog

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
MQ has diff tech. It does DL alot more route data at the outset thats why it doesnt ping the server, but its alot slower in updating maps you want to see and it doesnt show certain things, and won't show POIs along the route, but both are slated for updates very soon so stay tuned. Both can be very good. Oh by the way, best I know same price after trial.
FWIW, MapQuests's tech makes a whole lot more sense to me. Why risk losing network connectivity along the route? At least for me, it seems like even though MQ gets more data upfront, it doesn't take that much longer to initiate navigation than Telenav. I'm looking forward to the updated MapQuest for sure.

When you say same price, you mean free?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:01 AM   #35
wangta01

I too am a bigfan of MapQuests. I have yet to try telenav, but don't feel like I need to!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #36
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdewdog
FWIW, MapQuests's tech makes a whole lot more sense to me. Why risk losing network connectivity along the route? At least for me, it seems like even though MQ gets more data upfront, it doesn't take that much longer to initiate navigation than Telenav. I'm looking forward to the updated MapQuest for sure.

When you say same price, you mean free?
Not free - 9.99 a month. Right now you might not like it. The input GUI is terrible in that for each data field you have to open a new window so to speak instead of putting all data in one screen for an address. I am trying to get them to fix this. The DL of maps does take alot more time and so does zooming. These are trade offs. I think without the GUI fix I would bet too frustrated. That is why I await the new versions from both of them. Promised to be within a month but I am not holding my breath either.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #37
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I agree with stinsonddog on the MapQuest gui input. As someone suggested, sorry can't remember who it was, I download the version for one of the Sprint phones and have it working on the 8800. The GUI is frustrating to say the least. However it isn't all bad and has benefints compared to TeleNav.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #38
wangta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
I agree with stinsonddog on the MapQuest gui input. As someone suggested, sorry can't remember who it was, I download the version for one of the Sprint phones and have it working on the 8800. The GUI is frustrating to say the least. However it isn't all bad and has benefints compared to TeleNav.

Regards-Michael G.
I just used Mapquest to go from NYC to up state NY - everything worked perfectly. I honestly don't think the GUI is that annoying. Perhaps I'm used to having to input every address line because I'm coming from using a TomTom Rider, where the GUI is similar. I'm also not that annoyed that the application doesn't synch to the address book. When I travel and need GPS services, its usually because I'm going to a new location that I'm not as familar with. Most of the people in my address book with addresses - I know exactly how to get there.

Also, while I was using Mapquest, I came to really appreciate it's load-first approach. It makes rerouting very fast (i missed one turn b/c of a freakin huge tractor trailer), and saves the amount of internet service required, which saves the battery (I think) and makes everything run faster, since the data is downloaded already. The voice prompts were very loud and clear - almost startled me a couple times as I got caught up listening to the radio.

However, it did make me wonder why the heck there isn't a way to download all the maps like all the other GPS units in the world!!! I hope BB opens up the memory card to applications - I saw today the huge potential the blackberry has as a fully functional GPS!

PS. On another note - I was driving with mapquest running and I successfully recieved 2 phone calls. I think the bb can receive phone calls b/c its not accessing the internet (since it downloaded the map before starting). Pretty cool - I thought I read some telenav users complaining about missing phone calls while using GPS.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:43 PM   #39
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01
today the huge potential the blackberry has as a fully functional GPS!

PS. On another note - I was driving with mapquest running and I successfully recieved 2 phone calls. I think the bb can receive phone calls b/c its not accessing the internet (since it downloaded the map before starting). Pretty cool - I thought I read some telenav users complaining about missing phone calls while using GPS.
There is no question that it's easier to use the phone is the GPS program is not pinging the server so if you are going to be on alot MQ might be the way to go.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #40
pengrus

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I have a technical question.

When they say the GPS download the map data for the route, such as mapquest, where do they download these data to? To the internal BB memory? If it is to the internal BB Memory, we only have max of 64MB, after all applications, maybe only 20-30MB left, how can it hold data for a long trip, let's say from Bay area to Houston, Texas? So do they download partial route first, and download more along the way?
Closed Thread