Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Yes... Did you notice if you downloaded a ".jad" file? That extension is for an OTA download.

FROM YOUR BLACKBERRY, not your PC:
Go to CoPilot Live | BlackBerry® Edition
I didn't catch what you said at first but I get it now. How did the OP load it?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #22
Soapm

I think I figured it out

blackberry.alk.com/NA/CoPilot_java.jad
Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #23
Soapm

Default Feedback on application

I couldn't find an email address to write this company directly and I get an error with the form on their site so I figured I would put my review here... If others do the same maybe the developers will have to take notice.

Yesterday while I was out and about I tried to use this application and found it very, very frustrating. Excuse the length of this note but I wanted to give detail regarding my frustration.

I was trying to find directions to a specific PSCU (Public Service Credit union). The address was 6850 S Yosemite St, Englewood, CO 80112. I entered the search criteria as 6850 S Yosemite, Aurora CO. This is because I was driving and didn’t know the actual city (will touch on below) and sure didn’t know the zip code. The results seems to drop the numbers from the address so I had about 13 S Yosemite combinations but without the numbers I had no clue which was the one I wanted. i entered the numbers, why weren’t they in my results?

Any of them could have been right for all I know and I have lived here 40 years. I’d hate to see what this would do to someone new to the area or visiting. I would like to see it return every 6850 S Yosemite in the state of CO and let me choose the one I needed.

I also noticed the results were ALL in Aurora so I suspected none of them were correct though I didn’t know what city was correct. The results with addresses were in ranges ie… 2100 – 2199 S Yosemite, 2200 – 2243 S Yosemite etc… Some covered many blocks but not one was the address I typed in the criteria. I believe this is because this application seems to be very dependent on the city you enter.

This dependancy doesn’t work in a place like Denver or any major metropolitan area where there are tons of little cities within and around the big city. God is the only one who knows where all the dividing lines. So even if you do know the street address you may not have a clue what city it's in, only that it is in the Metro area. Needless to say I had to switch over to trusty Google Maps for directions. I also like how Google Maps just let you enter the address instead of trying to fill in fields… Now that is driving friendly (hint, hint)

So, now I’m heading back to the house and thought I would give this application another chance. I wanted to stop at a King Soopers to catch the deal on soda ($2 /12 pk). This I searched as a “point of interest” and put Kings Soopers as the search criteria. I tried to pick a category but I didn’t see store, shopping or groceries so I had no clue what to pick. Not sure who chose those catagory names but they have major vs. minor airport’s then lump all shopping into retail??? What’s up with that?

I get my results and was very disappointed to find the results showed only “2.1 mi – King Soopers”, 2.1 mi – King Sooper, 2.8 mi – King Sooper, 5.3 mi – King Sooper etc… in large fields. This was very unacceptable, without displaying the addresses I had no way of knowing which was the store I wanted to stop by as I was looking for one located on my way home. I just had about 20 or so King Soopers in a list with the distance from me and I had no way of knowing the direction or anything without downloading the trip data etc...

The first one I picked was in the opposite direction from where I was going so I needed another choice. I couldn’t figure out how to return to my search results so I could choose another find. Again, while driving, the best I could figure was to close the application, re-launch it then enter the search criteria and wait for it to search again. I think this application needs a tune up before you go to market…

Here are some other things I noticed…

The search engine/results are not good or consistent. Typing King Soopers a second time using the same search criteria (you really need auto complete) and in the same general area it told me the closest King Soopers was 38.5 miles away. In a city this large they are all over the place. Luckily I was familiar with the area and ran into a Kings Soopers that so happen to be on my way about 6 blocks from where I was…

When doing a search, if it does not find anything or if you have somehow made a mistake, the fields are all blank when you go back to enter the criteria again. This means you have to enter all the information again while driving and you are not given the opportunity to double check your entries to see what needs to be corrected. Also, generally if the information stayed populated the fix should be a quick and simple adjustment. You should make sure those fields stay populated.

Also, once you select a destination ie… pick a trip, it doesn’t seem to give you a way to change your mind and choose a new destination. When I click back and hit address it keeps going back to my same trip. I did notice you can add a stop to the trip but what if you want a new destination? The only way I found to solve this is to close the application and open it again.

Lastly, the menu where you select the state, I’d whether just type in the state since it is only two key strokes (same as using your menu) but if you must have a menu please make it a normal drop down. This one kind of sucks because you enter both letters out of habit (CO) so I end up at Ohio every time.

Again, not trying to be critical but wanted to give the developer good input for improvements opportunities I see with their product…
Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #24
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I'm still stuck trying to get the program to launch.

It requests a change to program permissions, which I've alternately (1) allowed and (2) prevented (as they're actually more restrictive). However, either way, it hangs during the save step.

I've tried installing and rebooting to no avial.

I'm going to have to assume that the issue is some conflict with my BES and/or Verizon (re: Verizon, I can use a puck fine with Telenav, Live Search, Trimble, bbTracker, etc., so I don't think it's due to the use of the external GPS.)
Old 05-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #25
oldskoolboarder
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Program finally downloaded and installed.

But when I try to map a destination, it can't connect to the server.

Anyone get this to*work?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #26
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAPM
The results seems to drop the numbers from the address so I had about 13 S Yosemite combinations but without the numbers I had no clue which was the one I wanted. i entered the numbers, why weren’t they in my results?
I had reported this back to ALk during the beta.

It did take forever to get past the initial screen dealing with all the permissions it went through. Didn't seem to matter that you hit the check box. (if you could)

Going off track, really messes with its mind. It can cause it to lock up.

I don't believe it speaks street names. It does have some neat features such as safe drive where the active map goes away and just shows the distance to the next turn along with the direction you will be going.

IMO, I would just go with NAV4ALL. Once you get used to the navigation of the user interface, it isn't too bad.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #27
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpisgreat View Post
I don't believe it speaks street names. It does have some neat features such as safe drive where the active map goes away and just shows the distance to the next turn along with the direction you will be going.
Hmm. I'm going to give this a shot but voice prompts are a must-have feature IMO.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #28
BlacSpawn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: >Options >Status any thing else
Carrier: Telus

Been having the same issues as most of you. GPS issues: can't locate me. Home Destination: type my home address in, not able to locate me. There are other issues as well. But i find it doesn't work for me to well.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #29
alslsb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon

Tried them all. Telenav is the best for pay, but NAV4ALL is the best free one; I had problems with Co-Pilot also ...
Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #30
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpisgreat View Post
I don't believe it speaks street names. It does have some neat features such as safe drive where the active map goes away and just shows the distance to the next turn along with the direction you will be going..
Took the family on a little trip today and tried to use CoPilot. It kept saying US40 which I could never find. Turns out it was Main street in the little town we passed through.

It also didn't like me leaving the route. That's when Telnav would do that recalculating route thing that I liked. I just may fork out the bucks for Telnav as it was really good and simple to use on the road. Maybe this product should continue to be free if the developers don't listen to the users.

I was mistaking Nav4all and Telnav. I meant Telnav is simple to use.

Last edited by Soapm; 07-07-2008 at 08:52 PM..
Old 06-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #31
bbbforums
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I haven't had the oportunity to actually use the program, and was thinking about getting rid of it, esp because of the issues and that when I checked from within the program it said there were no updates.

I went to the website where I downloaded it, and it showed the download was newer than what I had. It had some issues downloading, but eventually I got it installed.

Running the program while in my house, I was able to test both my work and home destinations, and it found my location quickly, and on the home test, it then told me I had arrived.

I would reccomend anyone who was having issue to go back to the website and download it again and see if offers a newer version. Should be 1.0.0.278.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #32
Slovak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 319FC717
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreNemesis View Post
Question: I've never heard co-pilot say street names at turns. Anyone else had the same dilemma?
That is correct, it does not. It just says turn left/right in x amount of distance, it also does not give current gas prices as Telenav tries to. Sometimes it does not find a gps lock whereas telenav finds one instantly in my house too.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #33
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

I just installed 1.0.0.278. I played with it for roughly 10 minutes and uninstalled it. It kept asking me to set my permissions each time I loaded the program and it was to sluggish for my taste.

I havent paid for the Garmin Mobile yet (but I will soon) but Nav4All is good for now.