Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
lmns

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Problem with SMTP Address Changing

Please Login to Remove!

So, about every week or so my Blackberry has stopped synching with the BES/Exchange server. The only way to restore it is to delete my BES account, wait a day or two for some reason, and then re-create it and then I reactivate my Blackberry to the BES and it works for a week or so and then repeats. After a couple of times, our IT has determined that for some reason, the BES changes the email address to which it associates my account and picks one of my aliases (e.g., if my main account is [email address] the BES without any intervention switches it to [email address]) and then will no longer sync.

So, apparently the next step is that they want to totally delete my Exchange account and remove me from Active Directory and start all over. That action is planned for Monday (6 August). However, was just wondering if anyone has had this problem with their BES before and perhaps knows of a more elegant solution so I don't have to delete my account (will try to back up everything, but always worries me a little that I might lose data going that route). Thanks!
Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Natrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: AT&T

You wouldn't have the problem if just your SMTP address changes, the bes will pick that up. What you are saying seems like they are moving your mailbox around to different mailstores or servers. Even after that is done you can do a handheldcleanup and it will remap to your new location. Sounds like your IT department doesn't know what they are doing. Send me your company name and I'll apply for a job there, hahahahahaha.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
lmns

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrone View Post
Sounds like your IT department doesn't know what they are doing. Send me your company name and I'll apply for a job there, hahahahahaha.
Well, we are a small company and going through some growing pains as we need to take on a more full time IT dept (we were 6 people when I joined, but we're about 50 now) so that might be part of it, but no one is actually making any changes to Exchange or the BES and it's not happening to anyone else's account. Apparently the BES decides my SMTP address is suddenly something else but there's no corresponding change in Exchange so it doesn't get any of the info from Exchange.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: Mont Blanc
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Have you tried removing your alternate SMTP addresses so that you only have 1 in AD? That would at least allow you to see if that's the problem. If you need to use the addresses you have setup, you could create a distribution list with you as the sole member in the interim and assign the addresses to that.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Closed Thread