Old 01-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Clssc
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Eastlink
Default Classic Backup

Please Login to Remove!

I have been away from BB for some time, and have forgotten how to back up my BB Classic with OS 10. I have a microsoft laptop. How should I back up my BB?
Rolyb
Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Classic Backup

use Blackberry Link to do the backup. It's at BB and free. READ the instructions.
I use Link with Microsoft windows 10 and it works well. the link below offers information on various things you
can do with the application

https://us.blackberry.com/software/d...lackberry-link

Last edited by tsac; 01-10-2019 at 09:33 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #3
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I tried BB link yesterday and got the message that it was not compatible with OS10. This morning I tried it again and was able to get the backup menu, but when I clicked "Backup" I got he message "Computing backup data", but it hung up there every time. Under "Devices" it said "Connected" as it did under BB-CA30, but at the bottom of the page it said "Devices not connected". Eventually I got the message "Backup did not complete".
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

l also have noticed issues with connecting but eventually it does. I use a wired connection because the WIFI never worked for me. the message on the bottom left is referencing any previous issues. I see that also even after it does connect.

How are you connecting? Also make sure you have enough space on the computer for a backup. I also log into BB ID . Not sure if it's required. I will play around a bit and see if I can find any other causes.
I did notice I have a failed message some times also.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok I was able to connect to the phone but the backup failed. I'm suspicious of the last Microsoft update is causing some issues. I will see If I can try another computer with older OS. the phone does connect but when I try to see any files or other data on the phone LINK states no files found. Real weird
Old 01-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

In all of the above I was connected to my laptop with a usb cable, and the laptop has plenty of memory left.
I just opened "BB Desktop Software" with my BB Classic connected by usb, and got the following:
"Device not supported by BB software"
"... BB Desktop Software doesn't support BB 10 OS"
Old 01-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

For what it's worth, Link long ago got flakey and pretty much useless on one WIN10 machine of mine, but still works on another. A peculiar coincidence is it is the new machine that is the issue. The other machine is an older model that was WIN7 originally and upgraded to WIN10 (and not a clean WIN10 install either). Both get WIN10 updates, but the old machine doesn't get the updates from the hardware manufacturer (which may be the difference).

Here's my view. If you get Link to work for you, more power to you, but you can't count on it, or my advice is don't count on it. I wouldn't count on it for a backup, for sure. If the time comes to restore, chances are it will fail you then. I would have another plan, either duplicate, or totally quit Link now.

There were and maybe still are some apps for backing up on BlackBerry World. I think the one I was using was a paid app, so that one would either be free now or else removed.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok , doing some reading on the latest Microsoft mess I discovered they by default turn off the file access control called SMB 1. This is what seems to control the ability to see the data on a blackberry OS10 device. I changed it to on and now I can see the files on the phone via Windows file explorer. I was able to copy the files to my computer. The backup part of LINK is still not working but at least the files can be pulled from the phone and worse case can be used to reload to a new phone is needed.

to access the SMB 1 go to the control panel, programs and features. Top left , click on "turn windows features on or off. Scroll down to SMB 1.0 CIFS file sharing support
If not checked, click the check box . it will load needed files and require a restart.

After the computer reboots it will now show the files in LINK but in my case did not complete a backup. Not a problem because I can copy from file explorer all the files on the phone.

"The Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and as implemented in Microsoft Windows is known as Microsoft SMB Protocol.
It blocks access to remote files if not checked"

Last edited by tsac; 01-11-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Good work. I only wish it still mattered to me now.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Ira and tsac. I went to an iphone a few month ago because I needed a heart monitor app which is not available to BB. I liked the iphone, but there are many aspects about BB that I preferred, not the least of which was the keyboard. And BB gave me all I needed, as I am past games and endless texting. As you can see, I thought I'd try BB again, as I no longer need the heart monitor, but things seem to be getting more complicated and inconsistent with BB (my dated one anyway), so reluctantly I am going to go back to iphone, which I must admit is pretty well designed and laid out, especially if you want to spend the better part of the day updating your personal files, events, reminders, and so on (it becomes addictive, more so than BB). In any case, thanks again for the advice. And tsac - you have been a great help in solving my problems in the past. Thanks again.
Rolyb
Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Good luck Rolyb.

I could use iOS if it came down to it. My employer-issued device is an iPhone.

Right now I'm looking at other solutions, possibly a two-device solution (non-smartphone with hotspot, like the Google-free Android Punkt MP02, and a travel size laptop, or Microsoft's rumored pocketable always connected LTE-enabled WIN10 computer, if it ever happens).

Tough times for someone who doesn't want to use Android or iOS.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
tsac
BlackBerry God

Thanks all, sadly we are all in the position of looking around. Blackberry is thinking they are a software company and unless they get their act together with the company doing their hardware they will soon be gone. They may be selling applications that businesses want but unless they are willing to offer continued support they will see a decline.

Companies like Apple are also seeing hard times to a point. The cost of new phones may be causing issues and based on some of the App designs I see it's all about keeping people glued to the phone. It may also be the reason for the decline in PC sales being reported.

Anyway keep on trucking and maybe things will improve.

Ira, keep the SMB 1 in mind. It may also cause issues with new phones that need access from the PC OS.

Last edited by tsac; 01-12-2019 at 10:34 AM..
Old 01-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

They aren't "thinking" they are a software company. They ARE a software company. Hardware shut down two years ago. They could not care less about OS 10 and the remaining legacy devices. They licensed their name and device hardening to whoever wants it. And please don't forget that OS 10 support ends at the end of the year. Be prepared.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
tsac
BlackBerry God

Understand but I still think they could via the hardware company TCL and BB Merah Putih support the previous product more than a few months. It seem Blackberry Limited has many options to support the products the hardware companies are pushing. I have noticed some new phones only sold in India or other countries. They also can sell more by obsoleting hardware sooner.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:33 PM   #15
ggdriver

Model: 7100T
Carrier: TX

I need...
Old 03-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #16
Pregily

Carrier: T-Mobile

Backups saved my life yesterday, hope my BB Classic will be found... one day...
Old 03-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #17
Pregily

please, always DO backups, it can be extremely important
Old 03-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #18
tsac
BlackBerry God

Also copy photos, contacts and other items to your computer manually just in case Blackberry backup does not work or becomes unable to be reloaded to new phone.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #19
Pregily

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Also copy photos, contacts and other items to your computer manually just in case Blackberry backup does not work or becomes unable to be reloaded to new phone.
100% agree. 3-4 times in life I lost a lot because of not doing backups, and not only on my mobile...
Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #20
tsac
BlackBerry God

and a lot of people don't even bother to do a backup until it's too late.
Closed Thread