BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #41
amp8118

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

Please Login to Remove!

So it took hours to clean up this mess. One of which was just getting to a person at Blackberry support who knew what they were doing.

He had me go through and eliminate any directory and registry entries with RIM, Roxio, or Sonic.

We then installed Windows Installer Cleanup Utility but that was tricky since Roxio kept the installer running and didn't allow anything else to be installed. So we had to disable Windows Installer temporarily to kill Roxio. Then we started the process up again and quickly launched the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. We then removed any entry relating to RIM, Roxio, or Sonic.

This is the most GOD AWEFULL program ever. Don't use ROXIO or Blackberry desktop.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #42
Woodlums

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default This worked like a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce1111 View Post
I'm on an 8300, but I had the same problem and here's the fix.

I downloaded the latest BlackBerry desktop software from blackberry.com. I downloaded the English version with media manager.

That gives you an .exe file, which is a self-extracting archive.

Use WinZip to unzip the .exe file to a folder. Browse to the SR_MM directory and you'll find "Roxio Media Manager.msi".

The next time you are asked for the location of Roxio Media Manager.msi, click browse, and browse to the file that you extracted above. Let it install, reboot when it's done, and you should be good to go.

That worked for me, anyway. Blackberry 8300. BES. WinXP Pro SP2.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Great suggestion for my issue without the pain and suffering of uninstalling and reinstalling software with multiple reboots. Yuk!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #43
kemurray1

Model: 8330
Carrier: SprintPCS
Talking Cure to the missing RoxioMediaManager.msi Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbergs View Post
Same or similar problem here.
Every time I open desktop manager, I get the following windows installer error message:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

"Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'BlackBerry 7130.msi in the box below."

I have searched my hard drive and that file does not exist.

I have uninstalled desktop manager, downloaded the latest desktop manager s/w and reinstalled. Same problem every time. I am at a brick wall .... h e l p

any ideas
Theres another guy on here that has posted this, so I cannot take the credit for it. I just want to say, I tried his reply and it worked. This is what I did:

1) Downloaded a free copy of Winzip14

2) Installed the Winzip on my PC

3) After installation, the winzip will remain open. If not, go under the Start,then programs and open winzip, clicking on the use evaluation copy unless you want to purchase it.

4) Make sure you have downloaded the latest copy of the Blackberry Desktop Software. At this time it is 501_b030_english.exe. You need to make a directory that you can store the files that winzip is going to extract out of 501_b030_english.exe. I labeled mine Winzip Blackberry Files. Choose whatever is good for you.

5) Going back to the Winzip program, click on open (Make sure it is set to all files instead of zip files at the bottom of the file open box) then go to the directory where you have stored the Blackberry 501.... file and click on the 501_b030_english.exe for winzip to open.

6) When it is done, winzip will have 40 files there and in those files is the RoxioMediaManager.MSI file.

7) This step is what worked for me, if you do something different, it is up to you. I selected all 40 of the files and dragged them into the Winzip Blackberry Files directory that I created earlier. You can do what you want to. You can select just the RoxioMM.MSI file and copy it into a directory for the next steps use.

8) I copied the RoxioMediaManager.MSI file and pasted it into the windows\system32\ directory.

9) When the install box popped up about the missing RMM.MSI file, I directed it to the windows\system32\ directory and it took care of the problem.

My hats off to the guy that originally posted this fix. I tried to be a little more detailed for us not so experienced guys that are equally frustrated with this problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by kemurray1; 11-14-2009 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Correct some typos.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #44
mfletch2663

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I have seen several solutions here to the Roxio Media Manager msi problem, but no one has addressed the problem I am having.....

Roxio Media Manager KEEPS trying to install itself, so that I cannot uninstall it, or install any other programs to "clean it up".

Can anyone help me? I DO NOT need the desktop software this bad!

Thank you.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #45
sherwingws

Model: 8830
Default Using Winzip to bypass the .exe file is the answer

Thanks guys, I tried everything. But all you have to do is unzip the contents
of the install.exe file into any directory. Then when Roxio occasionally ask for
the location of it's file, point it to the unzipped directory, and HOORAY! IT IS
FIXED, and some other Roxio caused problems as well.

Gary
Old 01-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #46
wtdudley

Model: 9530
Default Bounce 1111's ide worked for me

it worked for me! I tried thethis from the follwoing poster: and I have a 9530
Thanks Bounce 1111

[B]Originally Posted by Bounce1111
I'm on an 8300, but I had the same problem and here's the fix.

I downloaded the latest BlackBerry desktop software from blackberry.com. I downloaded the English version with media manager.

That gives you an .exe file, which is a self-extracting archive.

Use WinZip to unzip the .exe file to a folder. Browse to the SR_MM directory and you'll find "Roxio Media Manager.msi".

The next time you are asked for the location of Roxio Media Manager.msi, click browse, and browse to the file that you extracted above. Let it install, reboot when it's done, and you should be good to go.

That worked for me, anyway. Blackberry 8300. BES. WinXP Pro SP2.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #47
laowai88

Carrier: ATT
Thumbs up Fix for Roxio media manager installation issues

This drove me nuts for awhile. Here is what worked for me.

1. Find your Blackberry Desktop installation package on your HDD. Note that it may not say anything about "Blackberry". In my case it was something like 501_bo49_multilanguage.exe if I remember correctly.
2. Put it into it's own folder.
3. Go to the folder and right click the file (do not double click). Select Winzip (you need to have winzip installed on your computer). Select "extract here". It'll take a few minutes.
4. Re-start your PC if you're stopped the windows install process. If it's still showing you the error message that it can't find Roxio Media Manager.msi, select browse. Browse to the folder you just created and double click Roxio Media Manager.msi. It should complete installation and you'll get a message that you need to re-boot your system.
5. Re-boot and you should be good to go. It worked for me.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #48
PaulAM

Model: storm
Carrier: vodafone

Oh Dear!! What a mess! I don't seem to be able to unzip the *.msi file I just get ( Error 0 Access denied ) from winzip. If I could do this then maybe I could point the installer at that place and the installation would finish. I don't really know winzip anyway, can anyone advise please?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #49
bradford12345

Model: 9500
Carrier: VODAFONE
Default Blackberry MediaManager Problems.

If you are having problems with mediamanager.
Software that came with your Blackberry.
Uninstall it, plus unistall Roxio creator if installed.
May have to use a register cleaner once unistalled i.e. RegCure.
Now go to Blackberry web site
type in at google search:- Blackberry media manager download,
Download version 5
When download complete - install
Don't plug phone into PC until fully installed.
Download is about 260MB.
Once install plug phone into PC via usb cable.
Check media manager works unplug phone and
reinstall Roxio Creator (2009).
Tried with version 4.7 and below but no success.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #50
Terrortola

Model: 9530
Default Easy Method for 9530 Users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWoodJr View Post
The solution I found was this:
1) Right click on My Computer and select Manage
2) Double click on Services and Applications
3) Double click on Services
4) Double click on Windows Installer at the bottom of the list
5) Under Startup Type, change it from Manual to Disabled
6) Cancel the installation of Roxio Media Manager and wait a few minutes until you're sure its finished
7) Change startup type back to manual
8) Go to Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel and remove Blackberry software.
9) Download the installer for Blackberry Desktop Manager, change the extension from .exe to .zip, extract the files to disk, and run the BB install.
10) delete the extracted BB installation software and .zip file
I had this same problem (using a 9530 and running XP SP3); Media Manager attempting to install every time I restarted. I tried the method above but reinstalling didn't work. What did work was this:

A) Downloading the Desktop Manager installer, renaming it as a zip and extracting to disk as step 9 above says (I set up a dummy folder on my desktop to extract into).
B) I then restarted the system, waited for the Roxio installer to run and tell me it couldn't find the Media Manager.msi file.
C) I pointed the Roxio installer to search the Desktop Manager installer extraction folder on my desktop (hit the browse button next to the file path), it immediately found the missing .msi file and completed its installation.

Seems almost TOO easy...

Props to WPWoodJr for the idea of extracting the installer, I never would have.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #51
eheffa

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus
Default Roxio & BlackBerry Rant

Who writes this cr@ppy software? (RIM - give your heads a shake. Just because the corporate weenies in the gray suits still believe your device is best & most secure will not keep you in business forever...)

I have given my BB 9700 to my wife because it couldn't do some of the most basic database tasks that my 8 year old Palm device could handle with ease. She is content to do email & texting along with the phone - not too many demands.

The BB DM installation on my wife's computer brought along this Roxio Malware with it & virtually paralyzed her system. I've eliminated it after some effort using some of the clues & tips provided by this board but is it any wonder people give up & move to a friendlier device like the iPhone? My several months with BB were like going back to DOS or Windows 3.1 ferreting out little program lines that need deleting etc. Good software should not require the user to access their system registry to make it work.

The iPhone is not perfect by a long shot, but it provides me with much more functionality with a lot less in the way of these ridiculous & frustrating technical issues. It just works. In comparison, the BB is quirky & buggy to an extreme. To think that one should have to find un-official builds of the device software, just to fix memory leaks is absurd.

Shame on you RIM. Maybe when your CEO gets the hockey distractions off his desk, he can spend a little time refocusing the company on providing devices & software that actually work for their customers.

-evan
Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #52
TedUK

Model: 8300
Carrier: 02
Default Invalid Roxio .msi file ??

Many thanks to all who have posted solutions to this infuriating problem.

I get all the way to the step of pointing the Roxio installer to the Roxio Media Manager.msi file, which I had extracted from the Blackberry Desktop installer.

But then I'm getting an error message that the RMM.msi file isn't valid. Any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #53
omsoft

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
Who writes this cr@ppy software? (RIM - give your heads a shake. Just because the corporate weenies in the gray suits still believe your device is best & most secure will not keep you in business forever...)

I have given my BB 9700 to my wife because it couldn't do some of the most basic database tasks that my 8 year old Palm device could handle with ease. She is content to do email & texting along with the phone - not too many demands.

The BB DM installation on my wife's computer brought along this Roxio Malware with it & virtually paralyzed her system. I've eliminated it after some effort using some of the clues & tips provided by this board but is it any wonder people give up & move to a friendlier device like the iPhone? My several months with BB were like going back to DOS or Windows 3.1 ferreting out little program lines that need deleting etc. Good software should not require the user to access their system registry to make it work.

The iPhone is not perfect by a long shot, but it provides me with much more functionality with a lot less in the way of these ridiculous & frustrating technical issues. It just works. In comparison, the BB is quirky & buggy to an extreme. To think that one should have to find un-official builds of the device software, just to fix memory leaks is absurd.

Shame on you RIM. Maybe when your CEO gets the hockey distractions off his desk, he can spend a little time refocusing the company on providing devices & software that actually work for their customers.

-evan
I am in the same boat. Uninstalled 6.0 with BB 9800. Did force remove of all Registry entries and folders. Rebooted at every step. Tried to install DM and still Roxio error. I do not want Roxio.

If I cancel the installer, it works, but I cannot sync OUtlook. It gives all kinds of errors. NOt sure if anything to do with it. Installer then gives error 1714. Back to square 1.

But I am sick of it. It is going back to ATT.

RIM is down and out.

Last edited by omsoft; 09-06-2010 at 04:00 PM..
Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #54
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 2826774b
Carrier: Telus-Personal/Rogers Work

Very interersting thread.

On my HP Compaq 6510b, our company runs Roxio as the DVD/CD buring software. On two separate occasions, I have installed BB DM. Both times things went to hell in a heartbeat. I end up losing functionality with my Desktop Roxio App..So I have to remove it from the laptop. No question, there is a serious compatibility issue with BB and Roxio.

Now I get DOS/command line Screens for some sort of diagnostics everytime I boot the laptop. Roxio suite is gone, I do have the latest DM but have not used the "media" sync or anything else to do with media files....use windows for that. For DVD/CD buring, I use drag to disc.....simply dont have time to dick around with it. Very frustrating..

For a World Class pce of equipment, the support/Customer service is virtually non existant....as noted previously, it will, in the end, cost RIM the lifeblood of their company, their customers.

Theo
Closed Thread