Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
The 24
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: KEY 1
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry Q10!! URGENT!

Please Login to Remove!

I've been using a Blackberry for as long as I can remember. Since 2000? Never even dreamed about switching over to another phone. EVER! Just bought the Q10 but this issue I'm having has me so aggravated that I'll either switch back to my old berry' or try another phone all together. Wanted to check here first:

The issue I'm having is with Bedside Mode. Every night at 7 pm my Bedside Mode comes on. For those that don't know, Bedside Mode is kinda like a do not disturb feature, and when it's on you can't receive phone calls. Just got off the phone with Verizon and they told me that 1st there's no way to turn it off!!! I can make it so my phone rings! That's it! As far as texts, email, BBM, anything else, I can use those features if I choose to, but if someone texts me or emails me or sends me a BBM, my Blackberry won't alert me! AT ALL! Because it's in Bedside Mode! I then asked the Verzion Rep, "So you mean to tell me, Blackberry, a multi million dollar company, is telling me that after 7pm every night I just can't know if someone's trying to communicate with me?" Her response was, "Well...not unless you're actually looking at your phone."

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard! It was a Tier 2 Tech. And she had to actually call Blackberry to get the information. We spoke and then she had to call me back an hour later after she researched the issue.

Can anyone help me out? And hopefully tell me she was full of it? And solve this Bedside Mode quandary for me?

Tremendous thanks in advance!!

Last edited by The 24; 06-12-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Default Re: Blackberry Q10!! URGENT!

Bedside Mode limitations have been documented (unfortunately) since day one of the Z10 release. Are you saying you can't disable Bedside Mode or that it isn't working the same as the similar functionality did on the 9630?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

When you enter bedside mode, all of your notifications are set to silent. You can choose to turn on only your phone while in bedside mode, so that phone calls are the only notifications that you receive.
In the Clock app, swipe down from the top of the screen.
Tap (Settings Icon)
Set the Phone Calls in Bedside Mode switch to On.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Check out this app (I have not used it but it looks good) - BlackBerry World - Emergency Alert
Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
The 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
When you enter bedside mode, all of your notifications are set to silent. You can choose to turn on only your phone while in bedside mode, so that phone calls are the only notifications that you receive.
In the Clock app, swipe down from the top of the screen.
Tap (Settings Icon)
Set the Phone Calls in Bedside Mode switch to On.
Precisely! So while in Bedside Mode I can receive phone calls if I set the Bedside Mode to "ON". But everything else is dead. Email, texts, BBM, etc. Unless of course I'm looking at my phone to see if I've received an email??? This makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. Blackberry made a phone that only allows you to be alerted if you have an email or text or BBM during certain hours of the day??? There's just no way this is possible. This sounds like when Bank of America wouldn't let their bankers use their credit cards to purchase guns or ammo. How and why would Blackberry restrict it's users from being notified of an email during certain hours? What about users whose business actually functions and runs past 7pm? I mean the list of reasons could go on and on and on. But there's just no way this can be possible.

ZombieBerry I sure appreciate the response. Any one else have any more clarification on this and why? Never in 13 years has there been a Blackberry that does this. Just kinda hard to take in.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
The 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Bedside Mode limitations have been documented (unfortunately) since day one of the Z10 release. Are you saying you can't disable Bedside Mode or that it isn't working the same as the similar functionality did on the 9630?

Thanks.
I can turn it on or off. That's it. When it's "ON" I can receive phone calls only. No email notification, text, BBM, nothing. When it's "OFF" I can't get ANY notifications whatsoever on my Q10.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

When bedside mode is off you don't get any notifications?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24 View Post
I can turn it on or off. That's it. When it's "ON" I can receive phone calls only. No email notification, text, BBM, nothing. When it's "OFF" I can't get ANY notifications whatsoever on my Q10.
My son has a Q10 and two people at our company have Q10s. No one has reported that bedside mode comes on automatically at 7:00pm I have had a series of BlackBerrys, including currently a 9900. I have never used bedside mode so don't know the various options for it, but surely if it is not activated or it is turned off, all functionality of the BlackBerry remains.
There is a malfunction with your Q10 if bedside mode automatically comes on at 7:00pm
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

I think your device may be defective. You should be receiving all notifications when Bedside Mode is disabled.

When BM is enabled, you will receive nothing, but you do have the option of allowing Phone calls through.

I have not heard from anyone with a Q10, about BM enabling/disabling itself.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
The 24

Quote:
When bedside mode is off you don't get any notifications?
I'm told by Verizon Tech Support that there is no way to turn it off. It's a standard default. I was also told by the same tech that there's no way to assign someone in your phone book to "Speed Dial". Like on every other Blackberry you simply hold down the letter B for example and it takes you right to your phone book and you can simply click on "Brook" for example and *poof*. Every time you hold B from now on your calling her. They told me today that there is no speed dial function on the Q10 and that in 2 months there will be an update which will add that particular feature.

Last edited by The 24; 06-12-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
The 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24 View Post
I'm told by Verizon Tech Support that there is no way to turn it off. It's a standard default. I was also told by the same tech that there's no way to assign someone in your phone book to "Speed Dial". Like on every other Blackberry you simply hold down the letter B for example and it takes you right to your phone book and you can simply click on "Brook" for example and *poof*. Every time you hold B from now on your calling her. They told me today that there is no speed dial function on the Q10 and that in 2 months there will be an update to which will add that particular feature.
I sure hope you're right Jim. I simply couldn't figure out what the picture was so I called Verizon Tech Support to inquire about it. In talking with the Tech I discovered all of this information. I can't wait till this evening to test it out. I thought I'd come here first because most people here know more than the techs anyway. In my view it would be impossible for Blackberry to not allow users to be prompted of an incoming message while in this mode. Or they would allow the user to turn it off completely. I'm going to try it out this evening and I will report back.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No speed dial like the old days. As BlackBerry says, "Keep Moving". And they BS'd you about two months.

My Bedside mode never turns on unless I tell it to.

There are LOTS of things that are differences between BB7 and BB10.

There is a speed dial function but it doesn't use the keyboard. Why? You'd have to ask the developers.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
The 24

Quote:
No speed dial like the old days. As BlackBerry says, "Keep Moving". And they BS'd you about two months.

My Bedside mode never turns on unless I tell it to.

There are LOTS of things that are differences between BB7 and BB10.

There is a speed dial function but it doesn't use the keyboard. Why? You'd have to ask the developers.
Yeah I've noticed that there's tons of differences with this new platform and the old one. The phone is great overall. Learning all the tricks like I used to know on previous models will come in time I guess. I just wish that Blackberry would have given us all the new stuff they did without sacrificing so much that made the Blackberry what it is. I'll have a Blackberry regardless of what happens with this Q10. Just venting when I said I would switch to another phone. Truth be told I just love Blackberry. This whole Bedside Mode is ridiculous. If indeed Verizon has good information. But I'm definitely gonna find out this evening. We've always had a Do Not Disturb feature on our Berry's. But we had the option of setting it or not. Hopefully she was full of it, or my phone is defective and they can ship me a new one. Either way I'll report back tomorrow with my findings.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Great and good luck. I found that BB 10 still needs a lot of work and isn't right for me. Having said that, my Q10 arrives next week.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
The 24

I thought I would post my findings here for anyone who may have this problem in the future. My incident may save someone else a lot of aggravation.

First I wanna thank everyone who replied. It sure is nice to have a resource like this to bounce problems off of one another and get help with the phones we all can't live without.

I stayed up later than normal last night waiting and waiting for the "Bedside Mode" icon to appear like it had the night before. For those that don't know, the "Bedside Mode" icon is a picture of a bed with a Crescent Moon on top of it. And you find it on your Home Screen where the time is displayed. Simply click on the Power button on top of the phone once. Then again. And that's the Home Screen. Anyway, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm rolls around. No icon would appear. So i gave up and plugged my phone in to charge for the night. The second I plugged my charger in. Bedside Mode appeared! Unplugged my charger and it went away. Plugged it in. It appeared again.

The Verizon Tech gave me completely incorrect information! I receive notifications of ALL messages that come thru, even while in Bedside Mode! Not sure why it only comes on when being charged. But after all the calls I've made to Verizon, I'm not calling them again, I can live with that.

I am a little upset by the lack of information and darn right mis information given to us by these techs with the phone carriers. As NJBlackberry stated, they even lied to me about this phantom update that's supposed to come out in a few weeks that will allow us to Speed Dial on the Q10. It's very disconcerting when I call in for Tech Support, they can't find the answer to my problem, and they literally tell me, "Well lets Google your problem and see what comes up on Google." I mean really? I could have done that. Sure would be nice if these carriers had some formal training on the phones they're selling.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by The 24; 06-13-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Carrier representatives are almost never right. I trust them less than used car salesmen.

Hell, I almost trust them less than alicepattinson/nelsonturner/bisleri. Almost.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #17
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Maybe alicepattinson/etc are carrier representatives?!
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Maybe alicepattinson/etc are carrier representatives?!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
The 24

In case anyone wants to see the icon and what it looks like I've attached a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000003.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	979.9 KB
ID:	19892  
Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #20
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

That icon is the "shade handle". You should have to pull it down to engage proper bedside mode which will dim the clock and tint it red. When that mode is active notification blocking should be on, not before.