Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Stew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Video problems, any ideas?

Please Login to Remove!

I added a few videos to my 8330, all in the format .mp4. I have a couple of 30 second videos, and a couple of full length movies. The 30 second ones play fine, the full length movies do not. It says its loading, and then "An error has occurred attempting to play media" and "error playing".

All of these videos worked in my 7250 so I know these are working video files. I am using version v4.5.0.77.

Any idea?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
abrognlie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

I think it has to do with the maximum file size the media player can handle. I can play small files just fine, but when I tried to convert and watch an hour long show it would always come up as "an error occurred while attempting to play this file". Anyone else experience this? The cutoff might be around 5 MB or so, but that is just based on experimentation.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Two Mike Romeo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Default 300MB Video Files Work Fine

I have a dozen or so 1 hour shows (200-300MB MP4 videos) on my Pearl 8130 and they play fine on the standard media player. They were converted from AVI via Roxio.

I am stumped as to why they worked on your 7250 and not on your 8330.

Sorry!

Randall
Two Mike Romeo
Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
abrognlie

yeah, it's really starting to get to me. I'm trying to convert mpeg2 files from my TV capture card to watch shows on my curve. I use the "super" batch file, which is great at converting them quickly, but like I said doesn't seem to work on my curve if the resulting file size is over 5 MB. I'd have a hard time believing it's a problem with the converter. I haven't been using the standard Roxio method because DM really seems to delay my WinXP startup for some reason (which is another issue all together), so I'm really hesitant to go that route again.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
abrognlie

So, I bit the bullet and reinstalled DM 4.7, and started using Roxio again to convert vids for my curve again. Interesing thing happens - if I try to directly convert mpeg2 files, I will get an error using Roxio. However, if I first convert it to an mp4 through ffmpeg, and then use Roxio to move them to my curve, they will play no matter how big they are, even if they wouldn't play before because I thought they were "too big". Weird. Its an extra step, but at least it all seems to work now.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Two Mike Romeo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

abrognlie - At least you got it working! That's a good start.

I don't recall having converted any mpeg2 files with Roxio, so I can't verify the error here.

Randall
Two Mike Romeo
Closed Thread